Old 05-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

I use an intelect 3800mah
Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markrobinson
I use an intelect 3800mah
That appears to be a Nimh, I'm looking for a lipoprotein.

Dave
Old 05-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
That appears to be a Nimh, I'm looking for a lipoprotein.

Dave
I believe Mark is talking about this Intellect battery:

http://www.rcstation.com/newshop/cat...85d837458d22f3

I've still got an old Orion 3200 20C. It's punch is definitely lacking, so I'm on the search as well. I have a rounded Turnigy Nanotech 4200 40C, but it has leads, not the bullet connectors. FWIW, there are a couple rounded Orions with bullet connections on eBay right now.

EDIT: The Intellect packs are VERY similar to ProTek packs (I have a ProTek 1600 mAh in my 1/18 and one of my buddies runs an Intellect and they appear identical save for the label). For all we know, they could be the same packs, just brand labeled as is common. I found this ProTek on Amain:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ROAR-Approved

Last edited by Rodarbal; 05-25-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

wow thanks. a bit more than i'm going to spend. Aren't there any budget packs like that any more? The last one I got was 25 but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Dave
Old 05-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
wow thanks. a bit more than i'm going to spend. Aren't there any budget packs like that any more? The last one I got was 25 but I can't seem to find it anymore.
I hear ya Dave. That ProTech is about twice as much as I'd like to spend, too. That's how I ended up with the Turnigy with leads:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FVTl7AodwD0AZA

Here's the link to the Orions on ebay. These are exactly like what I have and they're SUPER lightweight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ORION-7-4V...item4d0cc65eb4

I'm not sure if these Sky Lipos are "round" enough, but one of my buddies has one. I'll try to hit him up for a test fit.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4000...se-bullet.html
Old 05-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Tamiya 1016 Premount S Grips seem to be out of stock everywhere. The 84323's are available and seem to be the same tire/insert but on a black spoke wheel. Is there any reason I shouldn't get them for my M03?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Not sure if Tamiya's fixed the problem yet, but the S Grips have been very soft for the past 6-8 months. Grip is amazing, but they take some tweaking to get working right. Even then, I've seen a set burned out in as little as 20-30 (racing) minutes on carpet. As much as I love pre-mounts, it's a hard pill to swallow.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
I hear ya Dave. That ProTech is about twice as much as I'd like to spend, too. That's how I ended up with the Turnigy with leads:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FVTl7AodwD0AZA

Here's the link to the Orions on ebay. These are exactly like what I have and they're SUPER lightweight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ORION-7-4V...item4d0cc65eb4

I'm not sure if these Sky Lipos are "round" enough, but one of my buddies has one. I'll try to hit him up for a test fit.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4000...se-bullet.html
thank you for that info. Please let me know if that sky fits in his MO05.

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rramjet
The Tamiya 1016 Premount S Grips seem to be out of stock everywhere. The 84323's are available and seem to be the same tire/insert but on a black spoke wheel. Is there any reason I shouldn't get them for my M03?
They really are horrible compared to the old S-Grips. If you don't have to use them, I can't think of one reason, good or bad to buy them. If you're not boxed in to Tamiya tires there are better choices out there.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

What tires do you recommend Granpa? I need them to be 60d..
Old 05-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
They really are horrible compared to the old S-Grips. If you don't have to use them, I can't think of one reason, good or bad to buy them. If you're not boxed in to Tamiya tires there are better choices out there.
That was the recommendation I got from the "local old timer Mini guys" but maybe they haven't used any of the newer ones. I just have the originals on it right now.

Don't think I'm boxed in unless I want to run TCS later in the year but I've already put 3 Racing shocks on so there would be more to worry about than tires.

What are other recommendations?

Particulary interested in premounts cause I'm lazy.

Running on Asphalt with maybe some sticky on it; at least it was last race.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Grandpa, Kind of interested in tire recommendations as well. I have been using S grip rear and M grip fronts for a while. But like anyone else I am always looking for a bit more control and edge over the competition.

I run on an outdoor asphalt track say on the higher end of traction when prepped. Track is not terribly bumpy but has a few here and there.

Jason
Old 05-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Damn, got up early to watch the Monaco GP, but it's a delayed telecast. I'm a big Ross Brawn fan. Race is on at 7:30 instead of the normal 5AM.

First let me qualify tire selection answer to avoid all the flack I've been getting lately. As some of you may know from my exchanges with Tony, that I like Spec tires, but we were wearing out the new S-Grips twice as fast as the old ones. I also did not like the way they made my cars "feel". Ideally, my choice of tires would have the identical set up as with the S-Grips so there needn't be any set up changes when switching from one to the other.

For 60D tires, my choice is the Pit Shimizu tires. They come in 4 different compounds from hard to super soft. The hards are the 456 and go down to the super softs which are the 450s. The safest combination is the 456 in front and the 452(soft) in the rear. A faster combination is the 454(medium) and 452 rears, but your car needs to be on the dot as far as set up goes to run this combo. I have not tried the 450s, but since were going into hotter weather, probably won't. These tires are also $3 or $ less per pair and last at least 2 or 3X longer.

For inserts the most consistent was the Tamiya hard inner sponge #53255. The best rim I've tried with these tires are the Suzuki Swift rims, but the 11spoke rim #51394 seems to be as good and are $4 less.

I purchased mine from TQ and from Speedtech. TQ has them in stock and Speedtech can get them for you. Jeff at Speedtech said he would stock them when we talked at the last race.

55D tires are a whole different world. Many of them have to ordered from HK or in one case from Australia, I think, but am not sure. All sorts of different inserts out there too. Just off the top of my head I can think of 8 different tire makers and molded inserts in 4 different thicknesses and 6 or 7 firmnesses. I wandered into that rat race a few years ago, spent a couple of thousand $$$$, got out and gave most of them away.

For 55d tires I use Sweep premounts, usually the 40 in front and the 33 in back. They are readily available, about $25 for 4. Many shops and retailers stock them and can be purchased direct. There are better tires and tire combinations out there, but I've not been willing to chase them.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

When using the Tamiya insert be sure to glue the ends together. You can wind up with a soft spot with no insert support if you don't. Use contact cement to do this and not cyano or super glue. This can result in a hard spot or lump in your tire. Most of you know this, but just in case.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well personally I stick with 60D tires. The pits if they last longer than the S and M grips are worth a shot in my book. I go through a set of fronts in about 4 days of racing (1 month) and a set of rears in about in about 12 (3 months). I normally use which ever rims my LHS has when it comes for new tire but they usually end up being the swift rims or the 11 spoke ones, So that is a common.

This is good stuff and thank you much Grandpa for sharing.

Jason

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.