Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

High end esc's have lower resistance, noticeable, maybe not, but that's the difference. Is it worth getting the fx pro over the fx, maybe not, but I imagine some could notice, not me.

What shims do people put in there diffs? My s-limited kit should be in this week and I already have everything else ready to go for it except the motor plate and long steering link to all match, so I just need the shims and I should be building this weekend. What size are they, or better yet, a part number.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Actually, this is part of a larger discussion of cheaper electronics vs. higher end electronics. For most of us, our driving skills are not great enough to notice much difference. Your lap times will not be noticeably different when using a lower end esc compared to a high end esc like the KO or LRP quantum.

The primary reason for using higher end electronics is for reliability and consistency of performance. Most of the electronics in the Minis in my stable have electronics that are many years old, but still are trouble free. Yes, hi end stuff fails, but not at the same rate as "cheap" stuff.
How about the ESC that the kit comes with? Is it even worth using? I'm only going to be running a silver can. I have a spare mamba max pro I could use, but thought that would be overkill for a silvercan.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The kit ESC will do just fine. Unless you're one of the worlds most elite drivers, you'll never notice the difference. The only thing I've ever found lacking in the kit ESC is drag braking, but brakes are for chumps anyway.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jha07
How about the ESC that the kit comes with? Is it even worth using? I'm only going to be running a silver can. I have a spare mamba max pro I could use, but thought that would be overkill for a silvercan.
Whether you use your mamba max pro or your kit esc sorta depends. Have no idea what a mamba max pro is, but am going to assume it's a really good esc. My logic is this. If you have no immediate or near term plans for the mamba, by all means use it in your Mini. If however, your Mini is just meant for occasional bashing and will not be raced, use the kit esc. Really it just sorta depends.

A lot of people seem feel that just because the Mini is cheap to purchase, it's a waste to put good "stuff" in it. "Good stuff" is just "good stuff". It just makes things easier and makes going racing a pleasure instead of being a frustrating experience where you were chasing down "problems".
Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello everyone I am thinking of trying the shorty lipos in the mini making the hole of the chassis squeare and using the tamiya part 54224, but I need that someone helps me and tell me the distance between the suports to know if I can have the lipo inside with the bullet holes in the outside.

Kind regards
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Maximum amps the 540 silvercan brush can push is 80A. TEU 104 is 60A. LRP QC3 is 110A and VFS1 is 120A. I might be wrong.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
What shims do people put in there diffs? I just need the shims and I should be building this weekend. What size are they, or better yet, a part number.
They are Tamiya Part No. 12300010
Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks, but it appears that part is discontinued, does anyone know what size they are? They're called 9mm washer, but no dimension can possibly be 9mm...
Old 11-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If these are the big ones inside the stock diff, mine measure about 14.8 x 9.6 x .3mm.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

I bought some only weeks ago from here

http://www.goldstarstockists.net/liv...cn2885&x=0&y=0
Old 11-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by c-lyon
If these are the big ones inside the stock diff, mine measure about 14.8 x 9.6 x .3mm.
Thanks, so they're probably 10x15x0.3 shims, I'll see what I can find

EDIT: turns out the durango diff shims are 10x12, so I'll be getting a pack of the 0.1 ones and play with differant amount of shims to get a good diff action. I made sure to order the heavy duty tranny gear set as well so hopefully I don't need to touch the diff to often. My kit should be here tomorrow along with the last few parts I need (other then the motor plate and steering link) so I'll be probably building it Tuesday on my day off. I'll be taking pics and doing a build review for my local forum so I'll post a link here once its up.

Last edited by rcjunky1; 11-22-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:01 AM
Tech Regular

Be warned, too tight a gear diff and you'll start stripping gears (when the front of the car lifts, the gears spin up and when the front comes back down you'll shred the spur)
Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
Thanks, so they're probably 10x15x0.3 shims, I'll see what I can find

EDIT: turns out the durango diff shims are 10x12, so I'll be getting a pack of the 0.1 ones and play with differant amount of shims to get a good diff action. I made sure to order the heavy duty tranny gear set as well so hopefully I don't need to touch the diff to often. My kit should be here tomorrow along with the last few parts I need (other then the motor plate and steering link) so I'll be probably building it Tuesday on my day off. I'll be taking pics and doing a build review for my local forum so I'll post a link here once its up.
Good tip about using durango shims! I'm about to build my M03 kit and already have lots of durango shims.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

I was going to buy some durango shims, then noticed I already had tamiya ones which are exactly the same. it seemed to do the trick, but should it feel a bit notchy until broken it? I didn't do it too tight yet as I think it needs to wear in a bit. I already put the black gears in it so hopefully it stays together, if not I have a backup white set.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a question and if I am hijacking this thread I do apologize. Used the search function and this seemed the best thread to ask the question I have.

Was at the local hobby shop today when I noticed they were racing again. Went inside to talk to one of the employees there as I wanted to see what classes they had. One of the classes ran Tamiya M chassis (03 and 05) and goes on to talk about both chassis. He tried to sell me a M05 RTR for $159 (TAM84134). I didn't buy it as I wanted to research parts availability, etc. Looking on-line it said that most parts are discontinued are are on back order. So my question is this. Was the guy just trying to unload some old stock on me or are these cars still used and parts are readily available? Appreciate the help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.