Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with my racing future

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Default Need help with my racing future

Hi -

I just ran in the Novak race and have a lot more interest now that we are running brushless and that there is a good track within an hour of where I live (downtown Chicago). I want to start running again and I realize that in order to get a lot better I have to practice and race a lot more.

My thought is to run practice all day on Saturday and practice and race on Sunday. That being said, I am running a Surikarn EVO III and it is pretty out of date. My 4600s do not even properly fit into the cut-outs in the chassis. So, in order to proceed forward, I just want to focus on one TC class. However, my decisions are as follows:

1. Rubber vs. Foam - I have run very limited foam (1/12th scale) and never in TC. However, I have always wanted to run foam but have a fair amount of experience with rubber tires. I am aware of the higher maintenance and cost of running foams but it still intrigues me.
2. Chassis - I am narrowed down to T2008 or Corally RDX Phi. I like both cars a lot but am concerned about the gear interference problem on the Xray.

So, really this is a two-fold question. My goal is to get A LOT better in the next year and I recognize that I need a lot more running and practice. My concern with running foam is that I will spend too much time truing and changing tires and not enough time running. So, I am leaning towards rubber. When my driving and set-up skills get a lot better in a year or so, I can then try out foam.

Also, in terms of chassis, what are some other things to consider to make the decision, outside of the obvious newbie type stuff (i.e. parts support etc.). There are guys running both cars at my local tracks. I can get parts for either car.

Also, do you recommend that I stay completely out of foams, due to my focus to get a lot of running in within the next year?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Khal
Old 01-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

foam all da way. and screw the other 2 cars. get a serpent s400. if you get a 12th scale get the flexi flyer007 with crc parts
Old 01-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Kahl,

What's up man no Mi3?? :P

Honestly right now I wouldn't race foam. Look at the turnouts at our tracks and it's probably 80-90% rubber tire TC. Foam is fun but the learning curve is even steeper IMO.

Just grab one of those new kits and run rubber with us. As for practice...

baah practice schmactice...I never do it. :P
Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

i supose if your club is running rubber you should suport it. but here is a fact i learned. foam setup is really close to a rubber setup for mod. just change tires and motor and let her buck
Old 01-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Gentlemen -

thanks for the comments. I like the Serpent S400, but hardly anyone is running it.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

the car is super easy to dial in and they are coming out with gear diffs like in there nitro sedan. super easy
Old 01-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I assume you will be going to "The Track". They do stock Xray parts. So my suggestion would be go with a car that you can get parts for.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

To be honest, if you want to run rubber, there are a lot of good cars
Corally
Xray
Tamiya -both the 415/6 cars and the TA05R
AE
HotBodies

The main thing is getting a car you can get both parts and help for. The cars above have help with setups from the web, and guys are running them at the track, too. If you have the dough, you know Dr. Hohnstein has the Corally dialed. Ken Pepe has the TC5 working good too.

You just need to get off on the right foot, drive the crap out of the car, and try stuff now and again. Learn what everything does on the car, and talk to guys who have been around. Most will clue you in on setups, since most adjustments transfer in the big picture.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Gravity RC

Kdagh1: Hi, Have we ever met? I live near Trackside so we must not be too far away. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or even let me know when you will be at Trackside and maybe i can help you with your stuff. I say Xray but i will help you with anything.
Thanks, paul
Old 01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Kdagh1: Hi, Have we ever met? I live near Trackside so we must not be too far away. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or even let me know when you will be at Trackside and maybe i can help you with your stuff. I say Xray but i will help you with anything.
Thanks, paul
would I get the same help???? How has life been to you?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Gravity RC

You know you would Splint, BNRacing for life. Ive been good, best to you also man. paul

Last edited by Paul L; 01-10-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Paul L
You know you would Clint, BNRacing for life. Ive been good, best to you also man. paul
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no real names on here. You know we racers like to hide behind our screen names
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Gravity RC

sorry C ill edit my previous post. lol

you like splint better lol
Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

I'm thinking of changing my name to an unpronouncable symbol
Old 01-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
I'm thinking of changing my name to an unpronouncable symbol
I thought you preferred "Chocolate Thunder", or did I hear you wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.