Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Tamiya Ta06

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
Anyone having issues finding spare parts? Im looking for the 2x8mm screws(diffs) and spare pulleys etc.

Its as if Tamiya is allowing the purchase of ball diffs but if you need a spare part you WILL pay a premium for it.
I think I saw that TQ had the screws on thier site, I thought I saw them on speedtech, but not positive. I haven't seen any spares for the ball diffs.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
Anyone having issues finding spare parts? Im looking for the 2x8mm screws(diffs) and spare pulleys etc.

Its as if Tamiya is allowing the purchase of ball diffs but if you need a spare part you WILL pay a premium for it.
we have the pulleys here. I'll be getting the screws in this week.

edit: ah, you're looking for ball diff parts...haven't seen those yet...
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Anyone have a good starting setup for carpet gt2? The track has good grip, but I will be using the tamiya tires.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

i'm currently have soft suspension at the front, harder at the rear, not too low ride height but i am using sorex 24's, and they are really grippy
Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so how does this ta06 pro handle on outdoor asphalt? Been out of onroad for years and theres now so many new cars to choose from, but I'd like to run tamiya again. I saw a TRF416 new on ebay for $137, but the pro looks better for lipo.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Travis S
Anyone have a good starting setup for carpet gt2? The track has good grip, but I will be using the tamiya tires.
Personally I would start with the kit setup and work from there, it's a great starting point. The only thing I have added is sway bars front and rear (silver ft/rr) and a spool up front. I like 3k in the rear gear diff. works well.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Car is all setup and ready to go!

Pic #1 - The car balanced out nicely. I did have to put about 30g in the front right. (RR 376.5g LR 378.9g FR 307.9g FL311.9g = 1375.2g)

Pic #2 - I did mount a Novak Ballistic motor. In the pic you can see the 3mm Tamiya motor spacer and I did still have to bend the tabs on the motor.

Pic #3 - All Ready for TCS! To bad I have another month to wait.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Ta06-img_0238.jpg   Tamiya Ta06-img_0240.jpg   Tamiya Ta06-img_0242.jpg  
Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Tech Elite

Car is all setup and ready to go!

Pic #1 - The car balanced out nicely. I did have to put about 30g in the front right. (RR 376.5g LR 378.9g FR 307.9g FL311.9g = 1375.2g)

Pic #2 - I did mount a Novak Ballistic motor. In the pic you can see the 3mm Tamiya motor spacer and I did still have to bend the tabs on the motor.

Woah! That is a very heavy rear weight bias on the car - 55% rear, 45% front more or less.

Thanks for posting those figures.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just come to Omaha, our TCS race is this weekend.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kwkride
Just come to Omaha, our TCS race is this weekend.
I have been there before and wish I could again. That track is awesome! I just had other things scheduled or I would be there.

Last edited by Travis S; 02-09-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
Woah! That is a very heavy rear weight bias on the car - 55% rear, 45% front more or less.

Thanks for posting those figures.
As for the weight. The motor is in the rear and that is by far the heaviest item in the car. Is this a suprise to you? I figured this was to be expected. Overall the left/right balance was very close.

The only way I can see this being 50/50 F/R and R/L is with a "shorty lipo" moved to the front and the extra weight you need to add would go up front also. I assume the shocks mounted the normal way and putting the ESC in the stock position would also add a bit more weight up front. I just liked the shorter wires where I mounted it and I do not have a shorty lipo to test.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As for the weight. The motor is in the rear and that is by far the heaviest item in the car. Is this a suprise to you? I figured this was to be expected. Overall the left/right balance was very close.

The only way I can see this being 50/50 F/R and R/L is with a "shorty lipo" moved to the front and the extra weight you need to add would go up front also. I assume the shocks mounted the normal way and putting the ESC in the stock position would also add a bit more weight up front. I just liked the shorter wires where I mounted it and I do not have a shorty lipo to test.
Travis,
I am saving for TA06 so I am quite interested in your information. Have you had a chance to run your TA06 yet to see how the weight balance F/R affects handling? I don't know if the weight difference is enough to make a big difference [I am still re-learning things after a long lay-off from racing.]

I haven't made up my mind about using IFS vs up-front and, like you, I don't have a shorty LIPO battery. Your feedback could push my decision in one direction or the other.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bencason
Travis,
I am saving for TA06 so I am quite interested in your information. Have you had a chance to run your TA06 yet to see how the weight balance F/R affects handling? I don't know if the weight difference is enough to make a big difference [I am still re-learning things after a long lay-off from racing.]

I haven't made up my mind about using IFS vs up-front and, like you, I don't have a shorty LIPO battery. Your feedback could push my decision in one direction or the other.
I have not had a chance to run the car unfortunately. I do not live close to a track anymore, so I won't be able to test it for another couple weeks. The battery/motor design is what made the TA06 appealing to me vs other chassis. I read about every post in this prior to buying mine and there was a lot of good said about it.

I have always liked Tamiya (I have owned a 415,416, and TA05 in the past.) I have gone to 3 FREE TCS races over the past 5 years and have always had a great time. However because of my move, my racing is very limited. I wanted to be able to go to at least 1 TCS race a year and try to make another large race(s). I don't feel that I will have enough track time to really compete in the GT1 class so that is another major reason for the TA06 for me.

I am running the IFS front mainly so I can run the really low front bodies. I like knowing I can run bodies most can't. :P I will be using this car in USGT class where these IFS bodies are legal.

One more thing - The car's start price is low and that is very nice, but when you get the Blue Itch (hop-ups) it will become close to the cost of a graphite car.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

It's interesting for me to see the figures. I was considering trying the car but potentially running a shorty pack, and I would certainly run upright shocks and a "normal" TC body as well.

But with 150gms extra on the rear axle, I don't think removing 100gms from just behind the centreline is going to have a big enough effect to get close to 50/50 - not that 50/50 is ideal, but the ability to build the car like that without a heap of ballast is appealing.

I've run cars in the past with a rearward weight bias (including the similarly in-line HPI Pro3) and although I could get them running well, for my driving style I could never get the steering I needed. Same goes for the TA05. My favourite cars to date have been my TOP Scythe and Kyosho TF5 shaft, both of which have close to 50/50 weight distribution.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
It's interesting for me to see the figures. I was considering trying the car but potentially running a shorty pack, and I would certainly run upright shocks and a "normal" TC body as well.

But with 150gms extra on the rear axle, I don't think removing 100gms from just behind the centreline is going to have a big enough effect to get close to 50/50 - not that 50/50 is ideal, but the ability to build the car like that without a heap of ballast is appealing.

I've run cars in the past with a rearward weight bias (including the similarly in-line HPI Pro3) and although I could get them running well, for my driving style I could never get the steering I needed. Same goes for the TA05. My favourite cars to date have been my TOP Scythe and Kyosho TF5 shaft, both of which have close to 50/50 weight distribution.
Just a bit more info for reference.
Lipo: 274g
Receiver: 11g
Servo with Savor: 50g

If I wasn't about out of servo tape I would get you the weights on the rest, but I have a spare of all the above.

I would think with a shorty pack almost to the front and then the weights you need to make "spec" in front of it in the battery area you should be close to 50/50.

I may play around with the car more down the road since I can't race it for a while anyways. I am still waiting for my blue suspension blocks and when I get them I might move the esc to the front and see what that does for the weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.