Search
Like Tree6Likes

Tamiya Ta06

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
Truth be told, the TA06 has a very funky design. The drive train doesn’t seem to be quite as free or efficient as the TA05’s. However, the unique (for modern TC) rear gearbox setup seems to give the car really nice acceleration out of corners (and starts!) and the narrow chassis design (very prevalent in modern TC designs now) and centralized weight distribution seem to contribute to its nice handling. I tend to save my plastic tub cars for the parking lot races and double deck carbon cars for the prepped asphalt tracks, but would dare to say the TA06 could conceivably hold it’s own against the purpose built double deck cars. It would be at a weight disadvantage for sure, but that can be remedied by lighter weight components and the new “shorty lipos” that have come out on the market. I can’t honestly say that I think the TA06 is *every bit* as good as a double deck carbon TC, but it’s not supposed to be. Having said that, however, in the hands of the right driver, it could put up a hell of a fight and even win! I’m in favor of a little more weight when it comes to bumping around in slower, tighter parking lot tracks like ours though. I have confidence that I’ll come out on top if my ‘big girl’ tangles with a lighter car, heh heh.

All in all, a couple of good races for a pretty darn fun car.

That’ll do Pig, that’ll do.
+1
This car can beat CF cars in stock level out of the box. I raced the Exotek conversion last Sun, and it felt great. It felt even more crisp and precise! Came in 2-2-1 in the triple main against a pack of photons and a TCX. I just love the design. It is a fresh platform that is different from all the others out there. With the new shorty packs, there is potential for a radical base design change.

Last edited by inpuressa; 01-24-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
TA06 race writeup. Warning! Loooong
Terrific story! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Heres a question for you impuressa
I use the carbon version stock chassis and will be using the shorty pack
Should I position battery forward or backward
What do you think
Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TommyAfrica
What do you think
You should try the battery in all 3 positions to see what the car feels like to you.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TommyAfrica
What do you think
The car is already underweight with a CF chassis. I had to add 21 grams to mine to make it 1350g. If anything, this car needs weight up front so I'd try putting the batt up front first. But with a batt like that, you have so much choices. But for the exotek conversion, you need a standard size lipo since it uses the hard case as a part of upper deck rigidity.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

bit of a race vid. don't mind the nut behind the wheel.
My car is the flour.red one with the white hood.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

We have indoor carpet track in Chino, CA and having TCS Regional on May.

Today we have TA06 parts and hopups in stock from Tamiya.

Click Here to see the new arrivals

Click Here to see the TA06 Part Store

FYI, Thanks.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

at this moment i'm building my second TA06 PRO
Today i bought a second one, just for back-up.
this one will be build with the standard plastic parts&chassis, just to have a chassis with the same set-up but with a lot more flex
Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

man, i nearly have a spare TA06, because of all i replaced on it
Old 01-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samshirley00
man, i nearly have a spare TA06, because of all i replaced on it
I am thinking about getting a TA06 because I do not get to race very often but one of the big races I have tried to make is a TCS race a year. I don't get enough race time to be competitive in the GT1 class so I rather stick to GT2.

From what I have seen is that even the Pro Kit does not come with the Reinforced Carbon parts. I am very tempted to just start buying all the hop-ups and build the car this way. I figure I would be buying most of them anyways... Other then the TRF Shocks and bearings have you not replaced on your stock TA06 Pro or the reg TA06 that is still TCS legal. The Pro kit doesn't come with a body and the other does correct?

Just wondering if I should just get the Pro kit or the Reg kit and buy the hop-ups or just piece it together with all the upgraded stuff to begin with.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

personally speaking i think the stock chassis works just fine (pro). The only other hopups that i think are needed are the c-reinforced arms, chubs, uprights, alum suspension pin mounts, alum steering set, and the cf shock tower/s (depends if you like running the front ifs style. I don't like it thats why i got a cf front shock tower as well).
Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Questions?? Looking for Build advice

Ok, I have had the TA06 pro sitting on my desk since it's release.
I collected the hop-ups as they were released. Now after reading Stitchy's experience and the many testimonies about this car I am ready to build it and get it on the track this spring and the coming TCS race this summer!
I am not sure if I should build it with the IFS suspension or with the carbon front damper stay? Also, What spring do you guys suggest using, kit springs or after market.
I will be running first on untreated parking lot then later on in the year on treated asphalt track. Also I am planning on running either 17.5 or Silver can. What gearing should you suggest?

Also what is a good body to run in the TCS currently I am looking at running a Honds HSV or the new Ferrari is there a better option as far as bodies go for the TCS?

Oh and I have the spool for the front, but Should I stick with the gear diffs or go with the ball diff in the rear with a front spool or go all gear diff??
Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Default My two cents

As far as gearing goes....
Silver can: I was running somewhere in the low 5's (This can obviously change based on the size of track, ours was decent, with flowing corners.

17.5: This one is more based on temp than anything, currently I am in the 3.7 range. (86x50 to be exact, keeps me right up with the fast guys.)

As far as bodies go, at the TCS in Cali, the popular body was obviously the NSX, But I talked to a few guys and they also like the Corolla Axio as well, this will be what I run for our TCS in Wa.

I currently run a gear diff in the rear and a spool up front, I love the predictability of the car with this setup. The rear diff currently has 3k oil, the car really rolls well through the corners.

I currently run the IFS, but will be trying the standard front end for the next race. I really feel like you should give the IFS a chance, mine handled great, and had no issues. The one thing I would suggest with the IFS is to buy the Alum. rocker arm set. That will take out all the slop, which is critical on IFS cars.

Hope this helps! I absolutely LOVE my 06 so far, running a TCS spec car against 600 dollar cars and competing is so much fun
Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
As far as gearing goes....
Silver can: I was running somewhere in the low 5's (This can obviously change based on the size of track, ours was decent, with flowing corners.

17.5: This one is more based on temp than anything, currently I am in the 3.7 range. (86x50 to be exact, keeps me right up with the fast guys.)

As far as bodies go, at the TCS in Cali, the popular body was obviously the NSX, But I talked to a few guys and they also like the Corolla Axio as well, this will be what I run for our TCS in Wa.

I currently run a gear diff in the rear and a spool up front, I love the predictability of the car with this setup. The rear diff currently has 3k oil, the car really rolls well through the corners.

I currently run the IFS, but will be trying the standard front end for the next race. I really feel like you should give the IFS a chance, mine handled great, and had no issues. The one thing I would suggest with the IFS is to buy the Alum. rocker arm set. That will take out all the slop, which is critical on IFS cars.

Hope this helps! I absolutely LOVE my 06 so far, running a TCS spec car against 600 dollar cars and competing is so much fun
Does the NSX or Corolla Axio require the IFS front? I just ordered my TA06 today and plan on running IFS but wanted to know if I changed to the standup shocks if the body would still fit or not. I assume not.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

The Corolla requires IFS for sure, if you buy the newest NSX ( I think the 08' model) then it will also require IFS. The older NSX's can use the Std. front end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.