Wiki Posts
Search

Hobbywing new burssless ESC testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
lutach, Can you also do a video tape with the speedpassion in your car for comparison? So we can see they are the same.
I'm not sure if I can spend all that money on the GT yet. All I can do is take photos of the HW and if Ronald said he has both, I hope he can back what he said and take some photos. Ronald, it might also be good to take some photos of inside just to make sure they are as different as you said they are.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Aimed at the Speed Passion Fanboys.....

I am a little disappointed that the moderators and various highly "experienced" forum members are beginning to 'flame' lutach.

If you wish to wax lyrical about your SP speedo combo's then may I suggest a different thread for conversations about SP stuff.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...rs-thread.html

I for one am getting a little annoyed that this HOBBYWING thread is being hijacked by Speed Passion owners / Importers / Fanboys (pick one)

I am waiting to recieve my Hobby wing combo and to be honest it will do pretty much what I need it to do, but costs considerably less than one of the 'Brands'.

Moderators / Admins can we please get some control as the flaming issues seem to be ruining a decent thread about the similarities of a particular brand vs sourcing direct.

Liken it if you will to the PC situation, we all have bought OEM processors or DVD writers or GFX cards, we know they come with a lesser warranty or little back up however those of us of a technical nature will buy these as we save a not inconsiderable amount of money in the process. Why would I buy a Speedo from an established brand when I can source the same, or very similar item for 1/2 the cost. if I melt a speedo by over gearing or abusing it I doubt that Speed Passion would happily replace it no matter how great their customer service is.

Please leave the Hobbywing thread to those of us that wish to discuss that companies products, and if that includes conversations about the similarities to other 'manufacturers' then leave that to be our business.

I get constantly annoyed by 'team' drivers or 'team wannabees' constantly abusing people, no one knows if lutach is a kid and it is disrespectful in the extreme to abuse him with comments telling him to shut up.

Is freedom of speech and expression a right only here in the UK or did the US suddenly become an Orwellian place where individual thought is a crime.

Cheers & best regards

Cherry
Old 12-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

that was excellant
Old 12-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice lol.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cherry2blost
I am a little disappointed that the moderators and various highly "experienced" forum members are beginning to 'flame' lutach.

If you wish to wax lyrical about your SP speedo combo's then may I suggest a different thread for conversations about SP stuff.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...rs-thread.html

I for one am getting a little annoyed that this HOBBYWING thread is being hijacked by Speed Passion owners / Importers / Fanboys (pick one)

I am waiting to recieve my Hobby wing combo and to be honest it will do pretty much what I need it to do, but costs considerably less than one of the 'Brands'.

Moderators / Admins can we please get some control as the flaming issues seem to be ruining a decent thread about the similarities of a particular brand vs sourcing direct.

Liken it if you will to the PC situation, we all have bought OEM processors or DVD writers or GFX cards, we know they come with a lesser warranty or little back up however those of us of a technical nature will buy these as we save a not inconsiderable amount of money in the process. Why would I buy a Speedo from an established brand when I can source the same, or very similar item for 1/2 the cost. if I melt a speedo by over gearing or abusing it I doubt that Speed Passion would happily replace it no matter how great their customer service is.

Please leave the Hobbywing thread to those of us that wish to discuss that companies products, and if that includes conversations about the similarities to other 'manufacturers' then leave that to be our business.

I get constantly annoyed by 'team' drivers or 'team wannabees' constantly abusing people, no one knows if lutach is a kid and it is disrespectful in the extreme to abuse him with comments telling him to shut up.

Is freedom of speech and expression a right only here in the UK or did the US suddenly become an Orwellian place where individual thought is a crime.

Cheers & best regards

Cherry

did you notice the date of the last post and yours, way to stay on top of things,
Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

See once again here is a situation which has happened to other threads, the fanboys flame up and then a thread dies. I did notice the dates however as the product is still for sale, in use and seemingly a reasonable product why should a thread die just because those of differing opinions would like it to.

I posted to bring this thread back to life as I for one would like to know if anybody else is using one of these combo's and if so what they think of it and maybe partake of their experinces with the unit. I may even be able to find out if anybody has any advice on gearing or wiring or any one of the many possible technical questions for which forums like these were first designed.

being as we are buying these items OEM, we do not obviously have the technical support of a major importer however we do have each other to learn from. So on that note I hope that we can keep the HOBBYWING BL ESC thread alive and maybe have it become useful to owners of this company's products.

Anyone?

Cherry
Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cherry2blost
See once again here is a situation which has happened to other threads, the fanboys flame up and then a thread dies. I did notice the dates however as the product is still for sale, in use and seemingly a reasonable product why should a thread die just because those of differing opinions would like it to.

I posted to bring this thread back to life as I for one would like to know if anybody else is using one of these combo's and if so what they think of it and maybe partake of their experinces with the unit. I may even be able to find out if anybody has any advice on gearing or wiring or any one of the many possible technical questions for which forums like these were first designed.

being as we are buying these items OEM, we do not obviously have the technical support of a major importer however we do have each other to learn from. So on that note I hope that we can keep the HOBBYWING BL ESC thread alive and maybe have it become useful to owners of this company's products.

Anyone?

Cherry
Your one funny guy.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Oops and sorry if my sense of timing upsets anybody.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Hi all the Hobbywing user. I am new on EP and review good feedback on Hobbywing stuff. Currently I plan to convert my Jammin 1/12 scale crt.5. In my mind, I plan to get Hobbywing 60A esc and pair with 4000kv(8.5T) motor with 3S Lipo. Do this setup which using 3S Lipo will over kill the esc which is the esc limit spec. As I know the rpm for this set up will be 44000 rpm (11.1v x 4000) and do it can cause over heat either on esc, motor or Lipo batt? Please advise and thanks in advance. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I know Shawn Palmer and I know Schumacher USA. Speed Passion is doing a lot of development of the motors and Speedos right now. They have stuff in the works that will take months for Venom and HobbyWing to figure out and copy.

I will buy from the guys working the hardest to make the product fast.

And...Schumacher support is second to none.
Well cant be that hard for Hobbywing to keep up with Speed Passion. Since they are making them!!?

Hobbywing has been making brushless Esc for sometime now for Heli and planes. They have a sold rep as being a quality esc. Not top of the line but maybe because they have not been marketed over here. As for the costumer service of hobbywing as anyone tried it? I have and I received a response to my issue with in 24 hours, well a little longer because of the time difference. but one working day. Those who say there is a difference in quality in components doesn't make sense. For them to do that they would have to first order two different components in smaller quantity. Wouldn't it make more sense to buy the same quality in components in larger volume and save that way. Also they would have two assembly lines to make the same product. As for the programing of the ESC you could use Hobbywings or SP programmer as they are the same one.

hobbywing.com/upload/LCD/LCD%20Box.jpg

speedpassion.net/upload/Product/small/b201bc4f0845492f526456d29ec75745.jpg
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Tech Addict

Well just an update. Got the 35 amp ezrun cobo with 9t seems so far so good, have now ordered the 60amp version because the on resistance is halved, gonna keep the 9T as is such a good motor.
Paid £24 for my new 60amp ezrun speedo, to be honest at these prices I don't need customer service as it's cheaper to order another than get one fixed if I blow it up. That said speedo seems quite good anyway.

If I could find somewhere to actualy buy the xerun 120 amp and the cost was reasonable I would buy one of those, but for my use I have not had any problems with sensorless, in fact so far have had more problems with a sensored system (LRP eraser anyone?) having sent 3 motors and 3 speedos back for exchange for being DoA or lasting 10 minutes gentle use. Last eraser motor was cogging out of the box and after 3 minutes running had that unmistakable 'burnt electronics' smell. Now I am reliably informed it is probably the sensor board going up, so am gonna go for a refund from UK distributors ar look to excahnge up to X11 if they will do it.

Am now looking for some Feigao OEM 10.5's (5 or 6) at reasonable cost for shipping to UK.

Well done on the speedos Hobbywing but maybe you could make a 10.5 motor for the unsensored ezrun series systems, maybe also actually package up the 60amp ESC with a 10.5T motor as a combo rather than the 35amp speedo.

Last edited by cherry2blost; 03-02-2009 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Bad bad typo's
Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tkhoo
Hi all the Hobbywing user. I am new on EP and review good feedback on Hobbywing stuff. Currently I plan to convert my Jammin 1/12 scale crt.5. In my mind, I plan to get Hobbywing 60A esc and pair with 4000kv(8.5T) motor with 3S Lipo. Do this setup which using 3S Lipo will over kill the esc which is the esc limit spec. As I know the rpm for this set up will be 44000 rpm (11.1v x 4000) and do it can cause over heat either on esc, motor or Lipo batt? Please advise and thanks in advance. Thanks again.
Hi if you use the program board to reduce the timing (Menu 9) to 7.5 degrees initially and also set the Start mode (Menu 4) to Normal you should be fine, however check that the Over heat protection is engaged (Menu 11). Once it's running then you can play with stepping up the timings and the punch, but do it in stages so sas to gauge where it needs to be in relation to heat.

You will find the manul here

http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=419

Cheers and let me know how you get on with it.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Hobbywing

I bought a H/w 60A 9t combo last year and raced it in a 2wd 1/10 buggy. Impressive is an understatement. It has little to no cogging and absolutely flies. No sign of overheating and plenty of run time. The only drawback is the driver.
I recently bought an old T3 truck and decided (since money is a real issue) to fit a 60A speedy with a used 6.5t novak. I havn't had time to sort it out properly yet but it seems to be very quick with only a small amount of cogging at start up. I hope to be able to almost get rid of it with a bit of tuning.

Terry
Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Addict

Default Novak motor and cogging

To be honest I was always told that the main reason Novak went sensored in the first place was due to cogging issues with their motors, maybe try another unsensored motor on the HW as with the anti cogging software built into the HW speedo's a 'decent' motor should not cog much at all.

I think a few of the larger companies rushed out their initial BL offerings to get a name for themselves in the market place, LRP seems to be struggling with the eraser, and I have interesting cogging issues, sometimes, with a 5800KV novak combo, not terrible mind but noticable.

The HW 9T is about the equivalent of a modern sintered 10.5 as in it carries 4300 KV however the power is slightly up on a Novak 4300 (10.5), can't bring myself to use the HW 11T as I will be down on power compared to the other guys so am going to take a look at the Tekin 10.5 sensorless.

My 60amp is due to arrive tomorrow and will race it for the first time on Thursday indoors on carpet, I have high hopes for it as so far these speedo's have a fairly solid reputation. I can't help but laugh though as I have seen a 9.5T / 19T motor from Speedpassion being sold in 'unbadged form' with a sensored version of the Hobbywing with controller card for $119 from a Chinese supplier I use regularly. Will be trying one of these out in the not too distant future. Once I have sold all the cars I have currently on Ebay.

By the way ant idea on optimum gearing with the 9T on the 60amp esc is a fairly large indoor track and we usually run brushed 19's at 6.0 internal.