Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default USVTA Tires

Here is my take and $.02

USVTA has been here at our track since pretty much day one. At the club level, run em until they "pop" or the driver/owner figures out what his car/driving style likes the best for his/her set-up. It doesn't really matter, I have run them both,(full tread and bald).

Don't sweat the little things guys, especially what someones tires may look like. At a National level USVTA event then the rules of the event prevail just like any other, but once I again at the club level, get as many cars on the track as you can and don't worry about how much tread is there.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Our local club is kinda desperate to get some participation, so we have it figured that if we allow people to run 1s with a 13.5 motor and no boost (obviously), that should basically produce the same power as a 25.5 with a 2s but allow people to basically run for free (we all run 13.5 1/12 scale, so there are plenty of old 1s batteries and motors around). So that could be something to let new guys consider if they don't want to shell out the C-note for the 25.5 motor.

On a more entertaining note, I was considering having some sort of "winners penalty" like some extra weight or an air-dam taped to the top of the car, something to slow down the fast and keep racing close without resorting to a handicap of laps.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
On a more entertaining note, I was considering having some sort of "winners penalty" like some extra weight or an air-dam taped to the top of the car, something to slow down the fast and keep racing close without resorting to a handicap of laps.
EXTRA ride height!!! Make the car sit higher that will slow it down some....
Old 11-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Champion

More pics from the SEVTA Champs at the Battlefield Roadcourse in LaFayette Georgia.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=7e7cd18bf6

I like the idea of a grace period, especially on the Sprint 2. I do still however think it should be geared down so it doesnt pull the fast guys down the straight. I think the grace period is a good idea, but to the best of my knowlege no one has used it yet. All we have had so far is seasoned racers. Which means we have failed totally in our efforts to draw noobs into the sport.

On the tires I think that everyone should start the day with at least some tread. Our track chews them pretty fast especially the fronts so I hate to be the tire Nazi, but I want to see that you started with a legal tire. On carpet there is no reason not to have tread. Tires last quite a while on carpet.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
Like a lot of guys have said, there's no reason to run off new people. I think that the rules are there for a very good reason, but you have to cut people some slack when they first show up. That's the sort of thing that keeps people involved.
When I first got back into touring VTA had not come to our area very well yet so touring was what we ran. Anyway about five weeks into racing it dawned on me that everyone else was running rubber tires while I had been running foams. I was apologizing to everyone when one of the racers patted me on the back and said."Kent.....No one gives a crap!" He was right. I wasnt outrunning anyone and no one cared. Thats the way it should be with new VTA guys. Just like Robk said. A little slack when they first show up. We need to show these guys the beauty of the National VTA rule set, and not just beat them over the head with it. Give them a good taste of what is awesome about this so they will want to do it right. They will want the legal rig. They will want Numbers on the side and the driver figure in the car. (Not an easy rule to add, in my opinion)
Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MelvinLee
Nice Video.
Thanks for coming up driving the wheels off of it and taking that trophy home. You made my day. Great display of driving.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Initiate

+1 to what eric said, like eric and alot of the people from his track I to have been involved in TA since the beginning, there is a time and place for enforcing the rules, but getting people to the track and actually racing is what its all about. With the exception of the 1 percent crowd, almost everyone will play by the rules once he or she gets going. This class has done more for rc racing than any other I have ever been involved with, hats off to all of the tracks that promote and encourage TA racing, good racing to all...

Kris Poloncak
Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

+1 to what Kris and Eric said. To sum things up, VTA rocks! People are showing up to watch these realistic cars go around the track and some (who have never considered owning an R/C car before) are jumping right in and racing VTA. Great job for those who came up with the VTA idea. Let's keep it going!
Old 11-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
+1 to what Kris and Eric said. To sum things up, VTA rocks! People are showing up to watch these realistic cars go around the track and some (who have never considered owning an R/C car before) are jumping right in and racing VTA. Great job for those who came up with the VTA idea. Let's keep it going!
BIG 2nd on THAT !!! VTA is a great program. Really impressed with the discussion on newbie's and proper cars for them to get. Didn't notice any attitude or feelings getting ruffled. Thats more important than any opinion about equipment needs. A great VTA attitude goes a long way toward building enthusiasm from a newbie. Yep...VTA ROCKS !! (we need a shirt with that statement )
Old 11-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default VTA decals

I need the guy who sells the meatball number decals for VTA. I ordered some a few years ago and now I'm out I need to order more. I think it was $6.00-$7.00 a sheet?

JG
Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

My local sticker shop made me four cars worth of numbers and enough driver names that I will never run out for$30. They even made me the stylized #7 I like, no sweat.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgraham37128
I need the guy who sells the meatball number decals for VTA. I ordered some a few years ago and now I'm out I need to order more. I think it was $6.00-$7.00 a sheet?

JG
check out here - http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...am-decals.html
Old 11-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
+1 Ive ordered the VTA sponsor sheet from him and the quality is out of this world. As much as my car spends grinding the walls and no damage to the stickers at all. Also no effect from cleaning black marks off with lighter fluid for me either.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Body Cleaner

I got a bottle of this stuff as a freebie. It is the best stuff I've ever used.

http://www.speedclean.us/

It gets tire marks off, doesn't hurt the stickers (like the last stuff I had ) and is gentle enough to use on your eyeglasses. I use it on my LCD TV and PC monitor. It even keeps my off road bodies from attracting dust.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Here's a pic of the top 9 from the VTA Race during the 5th Annual Fall Classic at Mike's Hobby Shop on Nov. 13, 2011.

Last edited by wwddww34; 11-16-2011 at 07:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.