Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

stripper Barbie is not legal according to the USVTA rules.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

can we talk about somethin else now?

R
Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dondor
Imagine that
Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dondor
No, I'm pretty sure she's still legal. It says "any suitable 1/10 driver figure is legal"...the part numbers given are examples only. That said, I'd probably put a helmet on her (maybe from Roller Derby Barbie) just to be certain

Thinking about it, Barbies may be a bit bigger than 1/10 tho...seems my niece's Barbies are like either side of 9" tall. Scaled up she'd be 90", or seven foot six. Yow. Add that to the 1/4 scale Winnebagos she's sportin...
Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
No, I'm pretty sure she's still legal. It says "any suitable 1/10 driver figure is legal"...the part numbers given are examples only. That said, I'd probably put a helmet on her (maybe from Roller Derby Barbie) just to be certain

Thinking about it, Barbies may be a bit bigger than 1/10 tho...seems my niece's Barbies are like either side of 9" tall. Scaled up she'd be 90", or seven foot six. Yow. Add that to the 1/4 scale Winnebagos she's sportin...
Man, you sure do know a lot about Barbies!
Old 01-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trerc
Man, you sure do know a lot about Barbies!
Not TOO much, was having to guess on her height.

Hot Tub Skipper on the other hand...
Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
No it more seems like the guys with the Tekin's cant get over the fact that they have to use something else. I dont see any of the Speedpassion guys like myself ranting about if I just turn it down it will be fine. I have to follow the rules if I want to play.....end of story. What is so hard about that? I have to sell my perfectly working SP esc to go buy a Novak....thats half the price of my current esc btw....Im not crying out for it to be allowed....heck I dont see anyone other then Tekin owners crying out for it. If Tekin made or makes an ESC like the Novaks or LRP's on the list then guess what they will be allowed as well Im sure.
that's because speedpassion isn't on here trying to help support the new rules or their current customers. With Tekin VTA software( which they said they would do) and the novak exchange program the cost would be $40 ish to conform to the new rules. Pretty SIMPLE HEY and affordable for everyone.

For USVTA big races the simpliest way to tech is the LED or CHIME..then from there NO laptops allowed in the pits/ bld..whatever. Once the VTA software is in the ESC the buttons can only achive EXACTLY what the little GTB button can do.

If the switch is simple and inexpensive the masses "nationally" would conform much easier, otherwise the class will still be cool and go on, but with so many different tracks threatening to allow different combo's...well there goes the "national" VTA.

Only time will tell what happens to VTA in the end. And maybe the unemployement rate.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

i dont drink or smoke or get high
Old 01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think it is very comendable that Tekin is willing to make a software profile for the VTA, it says alot about Tekin as a company and its commitment to its customer.

What I don't get is the thick headed comments that keep asking for Rob to allow the Speedo with the updated software to be allowed. Rob wants to keep everything as simple as possible leaving out any temptation to cheat or by "accident" leave the speedo in the wrong profile. Everyone thinks that all the tracks have a big support crew to do all the teching. last I have seen most tracks are run by the owner and maybe a couple of volunteers.

Rob has said over and over that he doesn't want to leave any opening to be taken advantage of that is why the only ESC's allowed are ones that can not be programed or loaded with any software.

The whole idea for the class is K.I.S.S.

It is Human nature to be afraid of change. You just have to give it time and I think you will see this change is for the better.

Rob,
Thanks again for taking the stance you have for this class.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

There are ways to bend the rules as they are, even without Tekin or other brands of motors.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

For the sake of my argument I would like to divide racers into two groups.

1. The traveling racer. You go to races two to five hours away every weekend. You have several thousand dollars invested in gear. A weekend cost you fifty to eighty bucks a night or more. Gas cost you a couple hundred as well. Not to mention dinner every night. You are the guy who needs to move the Tekin RS or RS Pro over to your RCGT car and invest in the legal Novak system.

2. The local racer who rarely or never travels more than an hour to race. You might have five hundred bucks in your rig and your car doesnt know what a set upboard feels like. You saved for six months to buy your RS. And you just need to find out if your track will let you use the RS if you download the new profile. You race with the same dozen guys every week and if you blow by them down the straight they are going to know that you cheated.

I dont know if I would have made the same decision as ROBK here, but my plans are to invest in the new gear and be ready. I also think its pretty easy to keep the current set up incase some clubs stick with that. By that I mean take your 21.5 and put it in your pit box, with your RS. Keep it. You might find a club that is going to stay with the current rules. If you keep your gear you wont be left behind when you race there.

I would like to lend my verbal support to RobK on this issue. There really was no easy decision to make here. Not everyone even agreed that the class needed to be slowed down.(which it did.) He could have gone with 1s 17.5 but then every one would have needed a new battery AND a motor. Even still theres no guarantee that there still wouldnt still be an ESC war. I just dont think there was any other way to accomplish the changes that needed to come. I am very sorry for everyones growing pains, but when the dust is settled and everyone has made it to the new gear, we will find the best racing VTA has seen since we were all on four little round cells.

On that Barbie, try an Evel Knievel helmet.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Hacking our code is out of the question. I've had "offers" and challenges many times before. I don't see this happening anytime soon.

no offense - but if there are dozens of people that have hacked their way past firewalls into the CIA's computer system, and seemingly every other secure system out there, I'm guessing there's got to be at least one RC-geek out there that can handle the Tekin software
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by justanotherdude
no offense - but if there are dozens of people that have hacked their way past firewalls into the CIA's computer system, and seemingly every other secure system out there, I'm guessing there's got to be at least one RC-geek out there that can handle the Tekin software
Do you know this for sure or have you just watched a lot of movies?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
can we talk about somethin else now? R
Does anyone know of 1/10 scale side pipes from the modeling world?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Does anyone know of 1/10 scale side pipes from the modeling world?
As models go 1/10 is a REAL "bastard" size. I can't think of anything off the top. That said, it would be pretty easy to make something up out of either 3/8 or 1/2" tubing. Evergreen or Plastruct styrene tubing or K & S brass or stainless tubing. Cut a piece to project through the bottom edge of the body behind the door...maybe even paint a "stainless" heat shield for it to poke out of. I can see it now...

The stickers for the HPI Corvette have some BAD ASS looking side pipes...maybe HPI could make those available separately.

Then again, TA cars really don't run "side pipes" per se (pipes that run all the way along the sill). They had side-exiting pipes that just poked out behind the door(s).

But those HPI "sticker pipes" sure are hot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.