Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR B/L motor Rules debate thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
The other thing those people need is track time. You don't develop a lot of skill with 15 minutes of practice a week... Nor is it a good "value".
allow me to introduce my 10th scale pan car enduro class... "you fit how many mah's on that chassis!?" gah the look on the nitro guys faces when you dont come off the drivers stand for an hour without refueling
Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

anybody that might feel they were forced out, or had to quit over something with a value of say $75
I would buy a 17.5 if I had to ,to run Stock . even though I have 4 13.5's right now.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
allow me to introduce my 10th scale pan car enduro class... "you fit how many mah's on that chassis!?" gah the look on the nitro guys faces when you dont come off the drivers stand for an hour without refueling
And THAT, is a good value. Well, not if you're the corner marshall....
Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
Still waiting for my pic on your site. lol Any chance you making it to the birds. The pig will be there...
Jim Campbell and I were on the phone today. I mentioned the Pig. He's thinking they need to run some tests on it. Although Barry Baker has publicly gone on record as not believing it's mystical powers, I suspect he has been secretly testing with one. He'd be a fool not to see the obvious benefit. Look at my result in Cleveland in 1/12th 19 turn. Surely I was on pace to TQ. Next thing you know, I'm pigless, and polishing my 58th place trophy.

I need to find those pics... I think they're on my camcorder, along with my kick-butt knitting video...

I was thinking about the Birds... I can only take a major beating to my ego a few times a year, and I'm still reeling from the beat down in Cleveland... It's still to soon.
<...bows head into hands and starts weeping, softly at first, but then loudly...>

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-03-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:46 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

First I want to state that just read until 4th page of this interesting topic.

Second that I never raced 1/12 scale. I have watched some and I feel the cars are too fast.

I believe lhe lipo cells are the future, (why would rc cars be diferent from the rest of electric industry?)

I believe too that ROAR is already late with lipo aproval.

seems to be a major problem lipo and 1/12 scale cars for what I read.

Why should 1/12 use the same size of motors that 1/10 use?

The use of smaller motor and 7,4v lipos should be the solution and by far cheapest. Why not use BL from 1/18 scale and lipo? should have power enough...

Last edited by PDM; 01-04-2008 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

One problem is lipos do not fit in the cars.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kave
Id love to see ROAR work the mfgs to work out a standard size for lipo packs. Even if it meant holding off on LIPO approval until 2009. Then cars could be designed around them, rather then trying to make packs that look like 6 cell nimh packs.

EDIT: Or approve as is for 2008 and work on the standard size issue anyway.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kave
You continue to not read the part about polymer batteries can be made into any shape very easily. Right now they are sticks of different thicknesses (heights), or you can have saddle packs, or if you wanted you could stack them prismatically in the shape of a "C" cell but that particular shape wouldn't be the greatest.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

SWTour is the authority on this one, but he's posted his results on Hobbytalk so I'll throw them out there.

For oval,
4cell-13.5 car = 7.4v Lipo-21.5 car
4cell-10.5 = 7.4v Lipo-17.5

Roughly equivalent, I actually think 4cell 13.5 was a tick faster than Lipo 21.5.

Thats probably a place to start from if you were going to try to keep our current motor size in 1/12th and make the jump to Lipo.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
Id love to see ROAR work the mfgs to work out a standard size for lipo packs. Even if it meant holding off on LIPO approval until 2009. Then cars could be designed around them, rather then trying to make packs that look like 6 cell nimh packs.

EDIT: Or approve as is for 2008 and work on the standard size issue anyway.
wow.....

interesting idea with the exception that ROAR does not mandate what products are made or how they are made. Its the MFG's that should be aware of what will sell, what the racers want and what is safe and legal based on general specs and make products accordingly.

Lipos are out there.. how ROAR is late with the approval is beyond me as the push has only been the last year or so to get them on the tracks. (I own a track, so really, I do know)

Orbit-dude () - I just don't want to be the president that holds off Lipo technology one more year because some cars are made that can't fit the cells. Lipo use is not madatory.. its a choice for racers.. as it should be.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
wow.....

interesting idea with the exception that ROAR does not mandate what products are made or how they are made. Its the MFG's that should be aware of what will sell, what the racers want and what is safe and legal based on general specs and make products accordingly.

Lipos are out there.. how ROAR is late with the approval is beyond me as the push has only been the last year or so to get them on the tracks. (I own a track, so really, I do know)

Orbit-dude () - I just don't want to be the president that holds off Lipo technology one more year because some cars are made that can't fit the cells. Lipo use is not madatory.. its a choice for racers.. as it should be.
Yeah I hear you. But in realitiy ROAR kinda of does mandate it by the fact they publish the specs and approve motors/batteries, etc. ROAR is in a unique position as a central "authority" as best we have for RC in the US. It wouldnt be easy for sure but we are kind of in a chicken and egg scenario with lipo batteries. Im sure car designers and lipo battery makers could work together to put together something optimal for racing but Im guessing each is waiting for the other. Perhaps Reedy and Associated could put something out there in the next couple of years to help people move in that direction.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah I hear you. But in realitiy ROAR kinda of does mandate it by the fact they publish the specs and approve motors/batteries, etc. ROAR is in a unique position as a central "authority" as best we have for RC in the US. It wouldnt be easy for sure but we are kind of in a chicken and egg scenario with lipo batteries. Im sure car designers and lipo battery makers could work together to put together something optimal for racing but Im guessing each is waiting for the other. Perhaps Reedy and Associated could put something out there in the next couple of years to help people move in that direction.

yea...

chicken and egg... good comparison..
Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

From what I've been reading about lipo's is that they don't have to be made flat. I think they are made flat cause it's easy/cheaper to make them this way. It will definitely be interesting to see how lipo's evolve chassis design. Maybe it's about time since TC's seem to have come to a plateau in terms of chassis design.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:09 AM
The Evicerator

Hey Dawn,

Never got that phone call from you...?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

SWTour is the authority on this one, but he's posted his results on Hobbytalk so I'll throw them out there.

For oval,
4cell-13.5 car = 7.4v Lipo-21.5 car
4cell-10.5 = 7.4v Lipo-17.5

Roughly equivalent, I actually think 4cell 13.5 was a tick faster than Lipo 21.5.

Thats probably a place to start from if you were going to try to keep our current motor size in 1/12th and make the jump to Lipo.
Thanks CBear

We didn't do a lot of testing with the 13.5 - we knew it was faster than what we were looking for pretty quick...but the 21.5 / LIPO is faster in a 1/10th pan car than either the 17.5/4 cell and 27t/4cell...so I would call that a pretty fair assesment.

The 10.5/4cell and 17.5/LIPO* (*Tested with the 3200 ORION's) are so close everywhere excpet on the carpet so far that we run them together. On the carpet ovals the 10.5/4 cell pulls harder and is running a little quicker. (Some of this may still be in the LIPO car setups. The reduced weight on the LH side of the chassis w/ the LIPO has changed the handling quite a bit)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.