Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Department of Transportation bans Lithium batteries in alirline checked luggage >

Department of Transportation bans Lithium batteries in alirline checked luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Department of Transportation bans Lithium batteries in alirline checked luggage

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Department of Transportation bans Lithium batteries in alirline checked luggage

All,

The Department of Transportation (Not TSA or FAA) as of Jan 1 has banned Lithium-ion batteries in check-in luggage (in the USA), limits to Lithium Metal batteries and other restrictions. This is the result of findings that the fire supression systems in the luggauge areas of the planes are not adequate to put out a large unhappy battery.

I predict this will cause grief for many traveling to big races with not only Li-PO, but also Ni-MH. These security people tend not to know the difference and just see that you have lots of batteries and it becomes your job to try to educate them

more info:
http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

Happy New Year!

markf3x
Old 12-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

this means no ipods, laptops, some watches, cameras, cellphones, you what i mean

all this means is that they dont want to pony up and pay for better fire suppression in planes

thats f-in bull $41T
Old 12-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

You need to read the warning. It said no spare batteries in checked luggage, it said you can carry a spare with you.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

http://tech.yahoo.com/news//ap/20071...tteries_travel Passengers can still check baggage with lithium batteries if they are installed in electronic devices, such as cameras, cell phones and laptop computers. If packed in plastic bags, batteries may be in carryon baggage. The limit is two batteries per passenger.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

sigh.. neither of these on the chart are lithium polymer. but i'm sure they bitch either way. time for the lipo sack lol.

they restrict it by "equivilant lithium content" measured in grams .. so if all the battery manufacturers can share the grams they're tossing in the batts we can get on with a resolution..

Last edited by Mason; 12-28-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Odd...in September when I flew to Seattle they were allready restricting lithium cells in baggage. Fortunately I only had NiMh batteries so it wasn't an issue, but they did question me on it.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so much for lipo racing....woooohoooooooo!!!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

this is why gas racing is better for travel,you can just get nitro when you get there,but maybe not what you want.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Champion

When I traveled the first thing they asked me was is it gas? I got the feeling had I said yes I would have had some issues by the way they said it.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Laptops, ipods, cell phones are all good to go as long as you keep your battery in those devices, its mainly the spares PPL are carrying on they want in some sort of packaging. I dont see why you cant just keep you lipo in your R/C car while traveling to events, its basically installed into something.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

So if I have the battery "installed" in the car does the rule apply?

Also, I think all our Lipo suppliers need to disclose the lithium content if they have not already.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkdut
So if I have the battery "installed" in the car does the rule apply?

Also, I think all our Lipo suppliers need to disclose the lithium content if they have not already.
'install' 3 packs on top of each other with tape
Old 12-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

oh sorry i didnt read the whole thing

my bad
Old 12-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...not LIPO related, but last time I flew with MY cars I forgot to take the NIMH packs OUT of MY cars. I usually take them out and put them in a separate box, but the day I was leaving I only had 35 minutes from the time my race ended to get checked into the airport..and grabbed everything really quick at the track packed it.

The cars were packed in a suitcase WITH Clothes and other stuff...and the batteries still had nearly 1/2 a charge in them...

I was paranoid the entire trip home that something was going to bump the ESC power switch and turn on of the three cars on...(I realized about 1/2 way home that I had forgot to take the batteries out)

TSA never questioned it...(They also didn't make me take the batteries out of my RADIOS that I carried on) THIS was last April.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

I would say allowing people to leave batteries in devices is far more dangerous than them being loose. (do you really need to give a battery 100 more ways to short out inside the device?)
Go down to your local recycling center with your NiMHs and look in to the battery bin where pounds of batteries are just dumped in together without a care. If that doesn't scream DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER, I don't know what does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.