Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower) >

Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Ferrarimk13:Thanks. at a worlds as all you can do is be as prepaired as possible and hope that the conditions suit you and obviously for some luck or atleast not bad luck, The way that the races are now (so close) their are alot of people capable of winning at any time.
For me as Digity stated it was a long process to get where i am now, The biggest thing for me was that i attended a lot of Major events before i was sponsored, and ran modified. I have always been the type of person that if i was to get beat i wanted to say that i got beat by Joel Johnson, David Jun Ect Ect Ect. I was so Lucky to beable to travel with Scotty Ernst in the early days and Scotty is such a people person that everyone got to know me long before i was capable of making a mod main, so from their when i became a good racer it seemed like i already had a good name and it was much easier to become factory sponsored.

My advice to people who may not have it as easy as i did is to fiirst off practice alot because you do need to be a good racer.
2: get to big races and get your self out their.
3: Dont get discourged EVER ( it took me a lot of tries at major races to do well)
4: be helpfull and curtious to everyone, even your competitors. Their are too few people in this industry to ever be a jerk to any one of them.
5: Take everything seriously that is in your control, but the million things in rc that are out of your control you have to always let roll off your back and Never bother you.
6: if at any point your not having fun you need to re evaluate your attitude and what this hobby means to you, and why you do it. HAVE FUN

Their was a time for me that i was not enjoying the hobby. i was maybe 15, just getting kinda fast. I expected to win, it bothered me when i didnt win a club race, i thought i knew WAY MORE than i did. I was just taking it too seriously. I dont remember exactly what i realised but i made my self not be so competitive and this made it fun again. Not to mention that a few serious a_s beatings at major races was a big reality check that i had alot to learn.

and Im not even sure is this touched on your question.lol

thanks a lot! that answered my question perfectly. I doubt i will ever get sponsored or anything, but thats not whats important to me, im still young, and i just want to enjoy the hobby, whether or not that includes winning isn't important to me, but if i ever do get good enough, i may want to venture out to some bigger races, just for the thrill, not a job Anyway, thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate it.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Gravity RC

Microcrazy: Thanks alot, and for the link.

freddie: Hi, Yep me and Dieter are back working with Trinity.

ferrarimk: no problem atall
Old 02-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Paul, when are you gonna come run oval with me and Pete?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

There's some very good info in that post. I have saved the traction rolling part for future reference.

I was at a regional race this weekend, and the fast Xray guys recommended your Snowbirds mod setup. I put it on (as best I could duplicate with my parts stock) and love it. It is incredibly smooth. Steering transition and response to lifting is very predictable and consistent.

Originally Posted by Paul L
Ferrarimk13:Thanks. at a worlds as all you can do is be as prepaired as possible and hope that the conditions suit you and obviously for some luck or atleast not bad luck, The way that the races are now (so close) their are alot of people capable of winning at any time.
For me as Digity stated it was a long process to get where i am now, The biggest thing for me was that i attended a lot of Major events before i was sponsored, and ran modified. I have always been the type of person that if i was to get beat i wanted to say that i got beat by Joel Johnson, David Jun Ect Ect Ect. I was so Lucky to beable to travel with Scotty Ernst in the early days and Scotty is such a people person that everyone got to know me long before i was capable of making a mod main, so from their when i became a good racer it seemed like i already had a good name and it was much easier to become factory sponsored.

My advice to people who may not have it as easy as i did is to fiirst off practice alot because you do need to be a good racer.
2: get to big races and get your self out their.
3: Dont get discourged EVER ( it took me a lot of tries at major races to do well)
4: be helpfull and curtious to everyone, even your competitors. Their are too few people in this industry to ever be a jerk to any one of them.
5: Take everything seriously that is in your control, but the million things in rc that are out of your control you have to always let roll off your back and Never bother you.
6: if at any point your not having fun you need to re evaluate your attitude and what this hobby means to you, and why you do it. HAVE FUN

Their was a time for me that i was not enjoying the hobby. i was maybe 15, just getting kinda fast. I expected to win, it bothered me when i didnt win a club race, i thought i knew WAY MORE than i did. I was just taking it too seriously. I dont remember exactly what i realised but i made my self not be so competitive and this made it fun again. Not to mention that a few serious a_s beatings at major races was a big reality check that i had alot to learn.

and Im not even sure is this touched on your question.lol

Joe: Hey man, I think you haved the right attitude. You came down to the birds because you wanted to be their and experience the Big race. when we talked their, it never seemed to me that you were dead set on Winning or took it to seriously win you didn't. keep coming to races when you can and if you enjoy it (i think you do). and maybe at the next one i will have more time to help you with the small aspects of things. But your are definately a good example. And i hope i answered your question in the post above. And No you dont have to win all the time.

Mshap33: Generally i would start with my rear shocks stud up (not all the way but maybe 1 or 2 holes in). front shocks in the middle. and most likely a mid or high roll center in the front and a low in the rear. For low bite the first thing i want to do is support the front end with a higher roll center to help the car be easier to drive, on low bite it is almost impossible to race with a car that is difficult to drive.

Diggs: Thanks.

Xraysteve: Im glad i could help. For me usually a traction roll on rubber tires comes from the set up not being well ballanced, if the car is diving too much over the front end and not enough over the side (equaly) this could cause the weight to load up, the tire to catch the carpet in an inconsistent way and flip the car. for me this is the most common problem of traction rolling "rubber tires only". if this is your problem here are the things that i find most effective to get the car to roll more equaly.
1 Softer rear spring, just to induce rear roll.
2 Front width, wider from the hinge pin/not the hex, to make the front end support the weight of the car better.
3 More steering Ackermann, should not plant the outside front tire as hard.
4 Narrower rear hex, again to induce more rear roll.
5Less front caster (this one is questionable per the tire) but worth a try.
NORMALLY BAD THING:The one thing that i strongly suggest staying away from, but would seem to make scence is just going stiffer on the front spring untill the car rolls equaly, this will apear on the track to be doing the right thing but what is acually happening is that the weight is still transfering to the front just as much but it is only happening faster the stiffer you go. and normally this will make the car less consistent. when traction rolling you are looking for the most consistent car. You are not traction rolling because you have too much traction, you are traction rolling because the traction you do have is not as consistent as it needs to be. Slip,Grip,then flip.

This advive is not for all situations if it dose not work for you, BAIL on it and start over. And that leads me to your last question. now days with all the different typs of racing, tires, serfaces, SPEEDS of cars, ect,ect,ect. I honestly dont think that it is possible to have anything set in stone anymore. Meaning the idea of working on a set up booklet.
Me and Barry were talking about this just last week, It used to be as simple as (softer spring = more traction). now we can sit their and shoot down any ideas for a change that we have with all these negitive effects that that change would give, i think that is a product of speed. and it has gotten very hard to know what you need to do anymore to improove your car. I think to do an acurete set up booklet their would have to be so many sections for, Stock,Mod,rubber,foam,high bite,low bite, what type of tire, bumpy, smooth, tight track, open track, and even possibly What type of car. I dont think what i do to my Xray would work for a Losi. I just dont think you can give general advice without knowing more about the exact aplication anymore.
But if i thought i could do a good set up book i would.
Thanks

Rezenclowd: very well said.

Kropy: Im not baiting you of all people into that one.lol
Old 02-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Gravity RC

Adam: I dont see my self doing it any time soon, id need some good practice to keep up with you guys.. but anything is possible

Adamge: Great, Im really glad to hear that the set up worked for you and others. alot of times they dont.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Adam: I dont see my self doing it any time soon, id need some good practice to keep up with you guys.. but anything is possible

Adamge: Great, Im really glad to hear that the set up worked for you and others. alot of times they dont.
IDK I didn't drive to well in Florida this year! LOL..
Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default roll center

thank you very much for your quick reply Paul. I will try it this weekend,also what position would you use for mounting camber links using the quick roll position on shock tower thanks for your help,same condition as before
Old 02-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Chase is doing great. Yours? Thanks
My three are great as well. Hopefully we can chat at a few MWS races this year.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:38 AM
Gravity RC

mshap33: that depends on exactly which lower roll center blocks you go with, The general rule of thumb for rubber tire is that you start with the link close to paralell to the lower arm in the front and in the rear you may want just a little bit of angle, of course positive angle where the link slants tword the inner pivot ,just a little. This is all always angle in comparison to the lower arm, not to the ground or anything. from their you will have to fine tune it a bit with a 1mm shim here or their but it should be close. and i almost never run that negitive camber link angle( when the camber link is angled twords the caster block) in comparison to the lower arm.

Ian: oh yea, ill look foreward to it..
Old 02-26-2008, 05:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Wow.!!!!
Imagine that, how is my baby doing growing up quick im sure...???
Nando.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 AM
Gravity RC

Freddyg:HEY NANDO, Oh yea. he is definately taking everything in now. and started the full on tantrums.lol just like his dad!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Cool...
We went racing for the first time in 2yrs at Prime Time..TC rubber, had a blast..MISS RACING..Diego laid it down and won the C-Main..
Some guy wrote this on the GA thread...Cool Hey..!!!

"The most awesome thing I saw all night though was Diego's grandmother and family cheering him on to victory while holding their "Go Diego Go!" sign. That kid is good! Can't wait till next time!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
My three are great as well. Hopefully we can chat at a few MWS races this year.
MWS races? What the heck are those? If both you and Paul are going, I'll see if I can guess:

My
Wang's
Small

Men
With CRC cars who
Suck

(hahahahahaha)

May be
Wicked
Stinky

Have a nice day guys...

The Beav.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Gravity RC

Nando: That is Cool..

The Beav: What can i say without sounding like as much of an ass as you. nothing i guess. but thats why your the BEAVE...lol
"some peoples kids"

You Too..
Old 02-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Paul, will you be at trackside tonight?

Snowy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.