Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower) >

Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xraysteve
hi hope you did good or are doing good at the winternats. i put the set up of yours from the Vegas race. the track i race at is to small and tight for the one way. i swapped it out for a spool. the car was loose. so that's was nice. something new. i stiffed the front shock up to 22lbs. i made the wheel base as long as it would go and took the rear sway bar off. the car is still loose on and off power. can you give me some things to try. i change my set up almost every run just to see what something will do. so if you could give me several things to try that would be great. thanks
what tire u running ? tire sauce? carpet ? chassis 007 008 ? LMK and I can help
Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Paul,

What EPA values do you normaly use?

Im assuming you are still runnin a 3pk, fut servo, and obviously 07's & 08's.

I have been working on getting less scrub on the front end. I have messed with ackerman and camber and such; Now I've come to the conclusion that Im just over cranking the wheel. So, I like to see if Im using a normal EPA or not.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

what tire u running ? tire sauce? carpet ? chassis 007 008 ? LMK and I can help

i am running rubber tires. take off 27. on carpet. traction action sauce. look back a page to see setup.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Paul, I watched the online vid of your Snowbirds mod race. From what I could see, you went the whole race without hitting an outer or inner board - certainly without hitting one enough to hold you up. Any tips on that?

My inability to put down a clean five minutes is holding me back. Do you aim for a certain distance off the apexes, so if you miss inside you don't hit? Do you spend the entire race trying to set the fastest possible lap each time around?

Also, what's your strategy for pressuring and hoping to pass a consistent and clean, but slower car? Maybe find a corner you carry higher speed through, and dive the inside hoping to go door-to-door?

Ah, I'm probably annoying. I just wish I had a fast local guy to learn from. Instead I have a couple guys at my level that I can't seem to get in front of. I appreciate the advice you give out here. It's hard to find fast guys on the net teaching their tricks.

-Adam
Old 02-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Gravity RC

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in answering questions. Im home for a little while now so i will be more attentive, Thanks Paul

Xraysteve: I would stay pretty close to my vegas set up, springs and all, a stiffer front spring dosent normally take steering away on carpet(rubber) it just makes the weight transfer faster to the front tires. from their i woulkd try things like less front camber and caster, play with rear toe, tire sauce, narrowing the rear end, try the wing back on the body. in some situations a stiffer rear spring may even give it rear bite. those are the things that i would play with, but if the car dosent get better with what you change i would revert to that set-up and start over fresh again. you will get it right sooner or later. let me know, paul

Mrcguy: Hi, i always run full lock on my cars. i have seen people go fast with much less throw but i always run full. i just keep turning up the epa untill the knuckle touches the caster block, then i put a couple of more clicks in it to apply a little preasure to the caster block from the knuckle and do the same to the other side. I also drive without using full lock in alot of places but it is their if i need it.

Adamge: Thanks, I wish i could drive like i did at that race all the time. i cant normally run 5min like that. but one pece of advice that i have is to try and not be close to alot of boards, you just need to be close to the ones that really cut down your run line distance, and be close to that one but then let it breath. like in a sweeper i dont try and hug it all the way around i have 2 spots that i am aming for one on the way in and one on the way out if i am close to those two spots only it will be a fast time around it. in an average track their may be 8 or 9 points that i try and hit and when i crash it will always be at one of those. or you can just run a little ways off of each one of those and rarely crash but be slower.

as for passing i just always wait for the right time, and i try not to pass on the straight, you always want to pass on the inside in a courner where the other car has a side force on it, that way you will almost never get chopped off.

Thanks again, paul
Gravity RC

DP
Gravity RC

TP
Old 02-19-2008, 03:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey Paul

I have taken the car completely apart and am trying to piece it back together again (the way you did for me prior to IIC 2007). I remember from the last time to look for bent chassis and bulkheads, clean the bearings, check the belts and so on.

Is there anything else I should be watching out for? How do I know if the car is in good shape overall?

thanks for the assist.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Paul,
This more directed toward motor and race info. Do you know if there will be any Team Trinity guys going to the dirt oval race in PA this weekend at Bumps and Jumps? My son is going and he's been having some problems with his duo 3.5 in his custom works sprint car. Just wondering if there may be someone there who can help out.
Thanks,
Wayne Gerber
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

paul, ygpm
Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

see u at the carpet nat's....Paul KB
Old 02-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Gravity RC

Ridge racer: Hi Dave, you just want to do anything that you can to make sure that everything is right, measure your shocks, look for anything that dosent feel perfect, make sure that everything is still free, ect.
see you soon.

SG1: Hi Wayne, i dont know if anyone will be their. Maybe Pete D'Agnolo and his dad. or maybe i can help here.

KB, yea it is coming up. see ya their.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Gravity RC

To All PM's

It seems that my Private message box is not working right now.
if it is important please post it here, Otherwise i will get to them when it will let me.

Sorry, Paul
Old 02-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Tires

Paul,
What's your thoughts on tires for the superstock / 19turn speed sedan? I've usually been running double pinks but I've seen single pinks or Magenta's on a couple cars lately. What do you think will be the hot tire at the Nats?

Also what about 12th scale mod tires?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Hey Paul..
Here's what my son said happened. He ran the 3.5 one weekend with no problem. The next week he ran 3 laps and the motor smelled like it was burning and the speedo smoked. He said after it cooled off it felt like it had drag on it when he spun it. He took it apart and he didn't see anything inside or visually wrong. I have no clue..lol.. He went ahead and ordered another one since He's leaving Wednesday for PA to race. Any suggestion what to look for?
Thanks,
Wayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.