Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What things are you looking forward to most in 2008... >

What things are you looking forward to most in 2008...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What things are you looking forward to most in 2008...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Duckman,

I have/had no real idea what kind of racing you were talking about...I try to watch results from many kinds of racing, and it appears in many, many areas guys are still racing 4 minutes.

We race 5 (or longer at times) but since you mentioned 1/12th scale in your post, I had a feeling it was On-Road.

(Oh, I also don't COUNT the 'in between the race minutes' when I figure out how long a program is going to be....I only count the actual RACE time...on a small race turnout day - my goal is to run each round of qualifying in an HOUR, shuffle the numbers of racers in a heat, and the time between heats to try to get that time frame.... since most guys like roughly 45-50 minutes to charge a battery, an hour a round works out really well.)

I guess my only point to you about TIME is - if you add it someplace...you need to take it away someplace else...and sometimes that just adds STRESS to a race day...and makes it LESS FUN.

..for our LOCAL program, if the guys do a really good job getting all 3 qualifiers done quickly...we'll add a 4th round, but if they drag it ON too long....I cut them to only 2 rounds + mains. It's really upto the racers at that point as to how much racing they get.

For our travelling series - regardless of how long it drags on - we do 3 rounds + mains. (All 5 minute* except 'special events')
Old 12-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Hello Roar Prez
Dawn if your serious about making Lipo legal for roar racing can you please update the weight limit for touring, even guys with 6 cell car still have to add weight, most of the todays TC's are super lightweight i.e. RDX Phi
Old 12-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'd just like to see an overall price drop for the hobby. In my opinion, half of the racers that quit do so because of the cost.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
Hello Roar Prez
Dawn if your serious about making Lipo legal for roar racing can you please update the weight limit for touring, even guys with 6 cell car still have to add weight, most of the todays TC's are super lightweight i.e. RDX Phi
Same weight requirements... that won't change. Please, contact Tim Potter, committee chairperson to propose a different weight specification if thats what your interested in.... ([email protected] - but I think thats changing.. I'll be sure he sees this thread.)

Hope that helps but I don't think it does.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

racing is only as expensive as YOU let it be

I have to say todays racing (before inflation adjustments) is SO much cheaper even in real dollar amounts than it was 15-18, or even 20 years ago.

NEW products, there are many, many that are less than 50% of the price they cost WAY back in the late 80's and early 90's.

Just one quick example

The bearings I use in my pan car - in 1991 you were LUCKY to find them for under $4.50 PER BEARING, I can get them today from many sources for .99c or $1.00. You can get HIGHER quality Ceramic Bearings almost as cheap as the old CHEAP bearings were.

Another place you can really save a lot of money now-a-days is with 2nd hand equipment. The INTERNET opened the door for so much used equipment to be bought and traded.

Things like SPEED CONTROLS, BATTERIES, and even TIRES for the most part really haven't gone up, or if they have they haven't gone up much. (1992 I was paying $75.00 - $80.00 for 6 cell Ni-Cad battery packs. Last season I paid $35.00 for 4 cell packs with MORE than double the run time those old Ni-Cads had)

CAR KITS are expensive - in some cases WAY expensive...and they change too much - too often...THAT I do think drives people away. (Just MY opinion anyway)
Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Same weight requirements... that won't change. Please, contact Tim Potter, committee chairperson to propose a different weight specification if thats what your interested in.... ([email protected] - but I think thats changing.. I'll be sure he sees this thread.)

Hope that helps but I don't think it does.
You make me wanna vote for Hillary...well maybe not that much
Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
You make me wanna vote for Hillary...well maybe not that much
ewwww... a Hillary comparison... is that what I'm up against? LOL
Old 12-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Not at all!

Most of us really LIKE YOU Dawn!
Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I would like to see more people enter the hobby, but it is a hard sale. Not everyone wants to drop $1000 on toys. Even if you are buying rtr's, by the time you are up and running it is between $400-$500. So I guess this goes with what someone else said; an affordable entry level class.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

SWTour.... based on everything that you have written in this thread, the hobby is great and nothing should change????

WHY IS THE EP ONROAD PART OF THIS HOBBY IN A DECLINE THEN!!!!!!

I am sorry, but I race at a pretty competitive level here in 2007 (not 1985) and all the events that I have gone to (including national events) are 5 minute qualifiers and mains for 1/10 TC and 8 min qualifiers and mains for 1/12 on-road. (Sorry - not too familuar with Oval).

SWTour, Get out of the 90's and smell the coffee. THE HOBBY HAS TO MAKE CHANGES OR IT WILL DIE! With the adaptation of new technology, there is no reason why our races cannot be longer. Look at how popular 1/8 off-road is now... why???? Because the mains are anywhere from 45 min to an hour. TALK ABOUT VALUE FOR THE RACER!

At the club that I help run in the summer, we went to longer mains and EVERYONE loved it. It was a HUGE hit - such that we are going to go even longer run-times the next season in some classes - such as the 20 min 1/10 Stadium Truck class mains that have been a huge hit elsewhere.

There is NO reason other then "old salts" that want to keep everything status quo and watch this hobby die a painful death that we shouldn't have longer qualifiers and/or mains. We have the technology for it... let's use it. There has already been a demonstration of 20 min mains in 1/10 Stadium Truck at many races - with huge success. Thanks to new battery tech, why don't we on-road racers take the same lead.

And before someone gets on the their high-horse about what they have seen... my first car was a Tamiya Fox, which I raced... I raced a Kyosho Optima, later a Mid when I got into this hobby - and I was around when off-road died and was replaced (short-lived) by Oval. I am not some newbie that just bought my first car 2 years ago.

I am a hobbiest that is looking for things to help grow this hobby so that my children and their children will be able to get the same out of this great hobby that I have for the many-many years I have been doing it.

My REQUEST is to LENGTHEN THE TIME THAT WE RACE!

Last edited by duckman996; 12-19-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

The continuation of brushed motors!!!

Someone has said it before on here, 'you can have my comm lathe, when you pry it from my freakin' cold dead fingers!!' ^^
Old 12-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

im looking forward to racing.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jheimb4897
The continuation of brushed motors!!!

Someone has said it before on here, 'you can have my comm lathe, when you pry it from my freakin' cold dead fingers!!' ^^
You and that other person will probably have some intense racing between the two of you!

Im looking forward to what Dawn can do as ROAR president. She certainly seems willing to listen and I appreciate her candor on here.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
You and that other person will probably have some intense racing between the two of you!

Im looking forward to what Dawn can do as ROAR president. She certainly seems willing to listen and I appreciate her candor on here.
Candor = never ending opinions LOL

Hey, to be honest with ya, I'm not a big fan of BL completely because of the brushed motor industry and the tradition of well, thats what ya do... cut comms.... its part of racing and part of your set up. I guess I'm old school too....

I do not believe its ROAR's place to end one type of racing and start another UNLESS that is what the membership wants... It appears that is happening.. therefore its my job to ensure the membership is heard.. with a "ROAR".. LOL
Old 12-20-2007, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Candor = never ending opinions LOL

Hey, to be honest with ya, I'm not a big fan of BL completely because of the brushed motor industry and the tradition of well, thats what ya do... cut comms.... its part of racing and part of your set up. I guess I'm old school too....

I do not believe its ROAR's place to end one type of racing and start another UNLESS that is what the membership wants... It appears that is happening.. therefore its my job to ensure the membership is heard.. with a "ROAR".. LOL
I hear you. I dont think anyone is saying just complete get rid of brushed racing. Just embrace brushless racing (at a stock level). I think brushed racing will be around as long as the old-timers that enjoy it are still around. It will certainly decline (most rapidly over the next 3-5 years) but it will be around a while. Unfortunately other then the mod level of racing I dont think you will ever be able to race brushed and brushless together and get everyone to believe its fair.

As for lipo. I say run them together (nimh and lipo). As long as the weight requirement stays the same I see lipo as just an improved battery (IB improves the nimh batteries all the time). The costs are about the same and we are always buying new batteries anyway (moving to what performs best). If people believe lipo performs best for them then let it be allowed. At the point that lipo is used by most peopel then maybe lower the weight of the cars to increase durability. Obviously the 12th scale issue needs to be addressed as well.

Last edited by or8ital; 12-20-2007 at 07:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.