Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

VVVV
Old 12-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PeteB

ORDER TOTAL: $84.80

Is it then ok for the store to add $40 in shipping costs without contacting me first to advise me what the extra costs would be?
so how much of the $84.80 was post?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

As long as you're not being misleading about the facts there's nothing unfair or dishonest about posting which web store this was through. If it was a mistake and they correct is just post an update.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Tech Champion

Most online stores have a shopping cart where you get a good break down of each item, cost and total. Then at the end the postage/shipping options are chosen. I much prefer this type of layout as its clear cut.

Hope the story has a good outcome to it.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by magm20001
so how much of the $84.80 was post?

I put $84.80 of goods in my cart, checked out, the order total was $84.80.

my CC was charged $123.79.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SlamMan
As long as you're not being misleading about the facts ...
subtotal: $84.80
shipping: by USPS mail
order total: $84.80

no mention of a shipping and handling cost.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Addict

isnt that obvious then that shipping was not part of the $84, but u want to pay only $84?

i'm sure u worked out that that shipping wasnt included by the breakup of the individual items

isnt any wonder why some shops dont ship overseas, u get people trying to rip them off by doing the old CC refund trick

Last edited by magm20001; 12-14-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

This is not meant to imply anyone who orders over the net is an idiot that thinks there is no shipping costs especially when it came from overseas. Now that, that is out of the way I can say is any purchase from Asia has HUGE shipping costs associated with the purchase. Any time I have ordered from RCmart or any other online store shipping has been at least $25 and up......it was $14 on a $5 part once. I suggest you start doing what I have done in the past and order stateside. If you order was from a US company then please disregard this post.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If everthing you say is true then it seems wrong. I suspect though you will find if you look back at the site info regarding the shipping its addressed. I know on things Ive ordered before that ship direct that my shipping is charged seperately and they just say they will charge me the real shipping charge (which I can validate when I receive the package). If you posted the name we could probably help you better. Let us know what you hear.

All the more reason to support your local hobby shop (if you still have one).
Old 12-14-2007, 08:28 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok, so regardless of the weight, size, destination etc. the general consensus is:

1) that the customer must be aware of and approve the shipping cost, whatever amount it is.

2)that it is NOT ok to add on any extra costs without getting the customers consent first. If anything changes, the customer must be kept in the loop.

do you think its fair to ask for a refund of the extra shipping costs?
You're right on both accounts. If it is not stated somewhere on the site then the person needs to be asked if the shipping is okay. Ask for a refund or partial credit on shipping, they won't respond will be my assumption - you then need to dispute the charge with your CC. Tell them you did not know it was going to cost that much as it wasn't disclosed on their site and the charge was not authorized. They won't refund it, but you tried and you have a valid argument with your CC company when you call them.

If a company is not professional enough to have all of that information on their site then they are not worth ordering from. They should have shipping, warranty, order fulfillment time, a telephone number and mailing address posted on their site. If they don't, don't order from them.

I don't think they straight ripped you off, but I do think they were dishonest in not disclosing shipping costs up front. If they are in the USA and you're not, you probably paid honest shipping, but you were misled and not informed about what the shipping would have been - have you had been you probably would have chosen to order somewhere closer to you.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

If this was shipped from over seas by Express Mail (EMS) then 40 bucks is probably about right depending on the size of the package. If I had no idea what the shipping charges would be at checkout I would probably just cancel the order myself.

If that's all the information available at checkout I can understand the issue. If you posted the store we could all see what your talking about.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

For those who bought parts online thru HK and Japan or other location beside USA.....they would know their bank fee (currency conversion fee), handling fee and some other bank service fee PLUS the actual shipping fee will be added, and those amount are usually NOT cheap at all. HOWEVER, all of those places were all listed at the end of the purchasing BEFORE you can hit the "SEND MONEY" button..(thru CC or paypal)...so, NO ONE were in the dark (including me) about hidden charge...

In your case...those are considered HIDDEN CHARGE...and that is NOT RIGHT. I would definitely call the CC company and deny the payment.

But really, you have not mentioned your location (you are in USA?) and the online store location (USA? HK? Japan?)

My recent quote....a $26 TC body from Tamiya....cost like $35 to ship...it is NOT the weight that cost that much, it is the BOX that came with the Tamiya Package...these "FEE" can be found very easily on the LOCAL post office website, no matter it is USPS, or HK post office or Japan post office...they have listed the price and the size/weight pertaining to its fee.

I have purchase stuff from HK and Japan for some outdated parts or hard to fine parts...and their shipping, handling and extra charge is totally acceptable. On RC Champ....Masa listed out the whole list of charges item by item...and paypal charged the conversion fee with a very reasonalbe rate. And overall....the kit ended up cheaper and landed in state faster then any other places....very satisfied.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
...I'm thinking they chose NOT to send the item I bought on a "Buy it Now" deal, because HORIZON raised the price on these and they went from selling for $38.00 to $79.00 in a week. (The company claims it was lost in the mail and REFUNDED my PayPal instead of sending another unit.) I'm BUMMED!
Good God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ee k:

38.00 to 79.00 price raise? I am in the wrong buisness. Good luck with getting another one with a decent "realistic" price
Old 12-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Centerline Racing using Snake Charmer's (my son) log on (oops!)

Originally Posted by Desolas
... It costs $37.00 to flat rate USPS something to someone...
I just shipped a DX2.0 in its original box to Sweden. USPS International, customs, etc, $15.20, eight days to arrive.

Another one pounder to the Republic of Slovakia, same as above, under $16.00.

Your branch of the USPS might be "adding" extra charges that are not necessary.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Have you tried contacting them yet? Was it an international shipment? It isn't right that they charged you without first contacting you but $40 is about right for USPS shipping using EMS. However I would have expected them to contact you to offer different forms of shipping as Air Mail or Global Priority would have been a good deal less expensive then EMS, if it is an international shipment. If it isn't that is a totally outrageous charge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.