Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo w/ Brushed Motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Lipo w/ Brushed Motors

Am I going to see the advantage of LIPO batteries if I use them with a brushed motor? The whole reason this is brought up is I dont want to buy a new Speed control to have the brushless/lipo setup just yet. I am running a Novak GTX if that helps. Im going to assume that the biggest concern is a low voltage cut off?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by nrtv20
Am I going to see the advantage of LIPO batteries if I use them with a brushed motor? The whole reason this is brought up is I dont want to buy a new Speed control to have the brushless/lipo setup just yet. I am running a Novak GTX if that helps. Im going to assume that the biggest concern is a low voltage cut off?
Voltage cutout ?

Not required for Li-Po

You pull off the track when you start to feel the car slow down ...
Old 12-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

I'll give it a try! Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

lipo is independant of brushed/brushless. As for advantage depends on what you consider the advantages of lipo to be. If you are looking to go faster and run stock class then you will actually be a little slower with lipo. If you consider the advantages to be long battery life, not juggling batteries, having way more fun, etc then yes you will get those.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

That depends on the motor you are running. If it is stock you will be slightly slower compared to good nimh batteries. If it is mod you will notice a difference. A cutoff being necessary is debatable, I personally don't like them and don't want to use one, off road I don't. But indoors what ever makes the race director and track owners feel more safe I do.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I found that while you will not have the initial punch of nimh, over time the lipo will maintain voltage better and you will not notice as much of a fade in power.

As for the lvc, just run it until the pack dumps. It will be obvious. Just make sure you unplug the pack from the esc because if you leave them connected you risk discharging the pack.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:18 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

I started the use of lipo batteries that way. Lipo and brushed motors, in model airplanes and 1:10 RC cars.

Great diference in any case. In 1/10 cars I was using a Corally 12x1T grooved motor and I notive a big diference. I had to to go for a smaller pinion and the car was faster (lighter too) and I was driving more time with less mah in the batterie.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

I would have thought the extra voltage would be prefered for stock class? 7.4 v 7.2? I am using them for 19/mod touring.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:29 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

I would have thought the extra voltage would be prefered for stock class? 7.4 v 7.2? I am using them for 19/mod touring.
That would be true if you were using "normal" NiMh cells. For racing cars NiMh cells are Zapped that in fact makes them have a higher voltage, far higher then 1,2v, problably something around 1,5 of nominal voltage or higher. So that means that you do not compare a 7,4v against a 7,2 batt. but you compare a 7,4v with a around 9v batt. That is the difference you notice.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

That would be true if you were using "normal" NiMh cells. For racing cars NiMh cells are Zapped that in fact makes them have a higher voltage, far higher then 1,2v, problably something around 1,5 of nominal voltage or higher. So that means that you do not compare a 7,4v against a 7,2 batt. but you compare a 7,4v with a around 9v batt. That is the difference you notice.
Well, that is close. The nominal voltage of a lipo is currently higher than nimh cells but the fully charged voltage is not. A lipo fully charged will be 8.4v and as said a nimh will be aroung 9.00v. A lipo however holds its voltage under load better than a nimh, this is more evident in mod racing.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Good point, I did measure a 4 cell pack this past weekend and it was 5.74 volts. I didnt even think anything of it being above 4.8v.