Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the best car for carpet??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default What is the best car for carpet??

Just wondering which car is best for carpet racing??
Old 06-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Best car ?

First, it's a loaded question that will get you into a jam, because everyone has their opinion of the "best car", Second, it's not the car that makes a good driver. Third , pick a car that is supported by your local hobby shop, someone that will be able to help you in getting it set up, NOT like companies that just sell on-line. Some of the better cars are, Associated, Losi, Alex Racing Barracuda, Hpi, Tamiya and Kawada. Talk to people in your area to see what they are running and then make an informed decision from there.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Well, I don't think it's a loaded question, it's good to get thoughts from people who own them IMO. I race off-road and the local track is going to a new facilty and will have a carpet on-road and new offroad track. So the local opinion...there is none since there isn't any local carpet tracks...so if someone has a good thought, lmk..thanks!!
Old 06-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

TC3 might be your best bet because it's so popular and probebly eisest to get parts for and to set it up. If you want to get more tecnical and experement with go with the new yokomo. You probebly want a shaft dive.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

TC3, easiest to get parts for? Well, it probably depends on where you live, because around here it aint easy.

I'll suggest you also check out the XRays, Evo2 or Raycer. They are excellent to adjust and work on, meaning it's easier to get a good setup, which again mean more CORNERSPEED. XRay also have nice setup guides. Another good alternative are the Schumacher Mission.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

How is the new Corally??
Old 06-01-2003, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

The new corrally is an expensive car and not many people have any experience of it, you may strugle to get parts and setup help.
I like my Barracuda R2 a lot, if you spend the time you can get an amazingly good drive train, which means more or less extra speed for free and mince handled great out of the box on slippy wooden floors, I've since moved outdoors and setup is still simple to get how I like it. It's nice and light yet still very strong, the TC3 can be a little weak, as can the Losi in areas.
The Losi is a very nice car but awfully heavy in standard form, go for the graphite version, it's worth the extra.
X-ray's are beautifully made and can be very fast but setup isn't easy, you have to be accurate, although the new tub chassis is meant to help you get consistancy easily.
TC3 is very popular, although not where I am funnily, and you will find plenty of setups around. I think it's boring to have a car everyone else has got though and IMO I think it's starting to show it's age.
There is always RCLab 7even, the new evo 7 is out, I had the evo6 and it's a very nice car, I couldn't get it to work for me on low grip surfaces but carpet isn;t low grip
Tamyia have two very nice cars with probably the nicest shocks around, shaft or belt, take your pic.....
Old 06-01-2003, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'd say go with either Associated or Losi. Cars like the xray are prone to tweak a lot more, so not good if you hit the boards. Get a car that your track stocks parts for. Personally I'd go with the TC3 as it is easy to setup and SHAFT DRIVE (herminator, does your drivetrain spin for 15+ seconds?), plus there are TONS of aftermarket products out there if you want it for the tc3.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Axiom5B
(herminator, does your drivetrain spin for 15+ seconds?)
Yes well close enough for me anyway, since it all depends on how hard you spin it, how heavy your wheels are, etc etc, and it's easier to get to that state than a TC3 ever will be

Last edited by Herminator; 06-01-2003 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by Herminator
it's easier to get to that state than a TC3 ever will be
You'd be surprised...go talk to Mr. Warpspeed
Old 06-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Herminator
it's easier to get to that state than a TC3 ever will be
I think Barry baker would argue that statment
Old 06-01-2003, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Default FORD OR CHEVY

Which is better losi or tc3 or x-ray or yokomo or barracuda or tamiya and so on. I ll tell ya which one is the best. The one that you can go any where to buy parts for. I think here in the states that the domestic kits are the best to get. Let me explian....... parts.. just about all LHS in the lower 49 has parts for losi and asscociated. when you buy a forgien kit most of the time you have to mail order parts . So if you want to keep it going you have to have a couple hundred bucks in parts with ya .unless the track you are at stocks the parts you need. For example the barracuda. now here is a nice car very fast and state of the art.
problem only one place has the parts you need and is not open on the week ends. so if you break and dont have the parts you go HOME WELL THATS MY 2CENTS
Old 06-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

birdy233 - Corally cars are great but parts support in my area sucks so you may have to get a few spares(not that you'll need that many). Go and check out the "assassin" thread in the Corally forum. The assassin is going to be completely awsome. It's not out yet but if you can wait, I'm sure you'd be satisfied.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for everyones thoughts!! I seen the ads for the assassin and it looks pretty nice. Parts support, well..If I were to get one that the LHS doesn't carry I would just pick up spares of the common broke items. I just wanted to hear from people who race on carpet to see what most people run and their thoughts on the cars they see and run. thanks again!!
Old 06-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Birdy232,

FYI...

I'm from Dallas too. I was talking with Mike at his shop on Saturday and here's the low down. Things haven't gone well with the owners of the new location. He will most likely not be moving there. The shop will still move, but it won't be for a little longer.

I was in the same position as you a couple of weeks ago when trying to decide which car to get. Unless you want to wait for Mike to open his new track you might consider some asphalt racing. If that's the case I wouldn't limit your question to just cars that are good on carpet.

I plan on doing some racing at the other tracks in town. Sure they aren't as nice as Mike's, but it's more about wheel time until the new shop opens.

You really can't go wrong with either the TC3, Losi, or Xray. I name those cars because that's what most of the other electric racers around town are using right now.

I chose the TC3. It's a reliable, well designed car, that's very capable of winning in the right hands. Parts can be found everywhere around town and in the US. There's always someone to ask about setup too. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.