R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #106
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This has been asked and consequently ignored several times here...Where can on find replacement brushes for the Stockstar?! Love the motor, but right now, if I can't get brushes, it is soon to be a rather expensive magnet to collect my extra screws, etc!!
slowpokezuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:05 AM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Brushes, 2 types of springs, and replacement brush retainers are all the parts list on the website. If nothing else they are probably available to order straight through AE until the stores start picking them up...
AM03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #108
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpokezuki View Post
This has been asked and consequently ignored several times here...Where can on find replacement brushes for the Stockstar?! Love the motor, but right now, if I can't get brushes, it is soon to be a rather expensive magnet to collect my extra screws, etc!!
All AE/Reedy distributors stock the brushes and springs. This means that any hobby shop that currently sells AE or Reedy can order them for you if they do not already have them in stock.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #109
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Rick,
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
is there anywhere I can get at least an exploded view of the endbell on these things? I'm not 100% sure how to take it apart
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

OTE, did them MVP tricks improve anything?

also, stormerhobbies carries the brushes.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #111
Tech Elite

Lemme open one up first and I'll tell ya

I mean, it looks like you just unscrew the hex that the shunt's coming out of, but I'd think thats going to make the brush try to drill itself into the commutator, which is no good. I'm not gonna pop the top until I'm sure I know how these things are made and how to properly take one apart.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #112
Tech Elite

easy to take apart, man. The screws that hold the endbell are the obvious easy part. The brushes come out by, as you said, unscrewing the nut where the shunt is coming through. You cant over-tighten it tho cuz the way its threaded and how the hex part sticks out over the endbell forces it to stop as you tighten. I took mine apart already, easier than a regular motor to take apart and you dont lose springs either. I had to use needle nose pliers to loosen the brush-nut thing, but a small crescent wrench could work too.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #113
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
easy to take apart, man. The screws that hold the endbell are the obvious easy part. The brushes come out by, as you said, unscrewing the nut where the shunt is coming through. You cant over-tighten it tho cuz the way its threaded and how the hex part sticks out over the endbell forces it to stop as you tighten. I took mine apart already, easier than a regular motor to take apart and you dont lose springs either. I had to use needle nose pliers to loosen the brush-nut thing, but a small crescent wrench could work too.
This is how you take it apart.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #114
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Searles

Rick do you think there is really much power loss by screwing on the brushes instead of soldering?
Old 05-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #115
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Just an FYI the Reedy Stock Star and 19 turn have both been ROAR approved and legal for all ROAR Events now.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
This is how you take it apart.
Well OK, but what keeps the faces of the brushes from twisting into the comm? I'd think you'd have to hold the springs back as you unscrew the brush "barrels", otherwise you'd seriously start garfing up either the comm or the brush. It'd be like putting a standup brush in a laydown hood and turning the motor over
Old 05-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #117
Team EAM

Quote:
Well OK, but what keeps the faces of the brushes from twisting into the comm? I'd think you'd have to hold the springs back as you unscrew the brush "barrels", otherwise you'd seriously start garfing up either the comm or the brush. It'd be like putting a standup brush in a laydown hood and turning the motor over
They brush is shaped kinda like a diamond and the brush hood is as well so it is held in the hood tight and will not twist in the hood.

EA
Old 05-12-2008, 02:27 AM   #118
Tech Elite

Quote:
the "brush tube" is slotted so the brush goes in only a certain way...

keyed i beleive is a more accurate term. The brush doesnt sit free in the endbell per se....it can move in and out (as it should) but cannot twist.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #119
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to arstron Send a message via AIM to arstron

I got my first stock star motor in early last week, I trued the comm and used my slave motor to break it in for about 5 minutes at 3 volts. I raced it on a concrete oval friday night and I have to say, I wasnt impressed at all. I ran 2 or 3 5 minute practice sessions and 2 heats with it, however I switched it out for the main becuse it just wouldnt keep up with everyone else. After switching to my team brood peeler co27 with the same gearing, i was right on par with everyone else speed wise. Motor temp wise, the stock star was running 135* and the co27 ran 110*. I will have to get some springs to play around with, but my first time out with it, I am not that impressed.
arstron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #120
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arstron View Post
I got my first stock star motor in early last week, I trued the comm and used my slave motor to break it in for about 5 minutes at 3 volts. I raced it on a concrete oval friday night and I have to say, I wasnt impressed at all. I ran 2 or 3 5 minute practice sessions and 2 heats with it, however I switched it out for the main becuse it just wouldnt keep up with everyone else. After switching to my team brood peeler co27 with the same gearing, i was right on par with everyone else speed wise. Motor temp wise, the stock star was running 135* and the co27 ran 110*. I will have to get some springs to play around with, but my first time out with it, I am not that impressed.
I had Jody Miller do some testing with it on carpet back in November and it was faster than the C027's he was racing with. I'll find out how he was gearing it but I know it will require a different gear than the C0 does.

EA