Wiki Posts
Search

New Team Orion 4200SHO batteri

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingman2
The word on the UK version of RCTech is that the Orion 4200 cells are in fact GP3700 cells!

http://www.rcracechat.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38619

Have a look and see what you think!

All the best, Chris.

Strange because the cells are different sizes. They actuallt feel really different also. But whatever people want to think.

2-Bad: There is a fine line between proformance and durability. You have to sacrafice one for the other. Charge it at 12A and it will be fast, but last 1 race day. you have to make that decision for your self.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, I was suprised to say the least when I heard that one. Apparently, it was something to do with the Orion part number having 3700 in it. When people started using them, they would peak out before they even reached 4200 mah (you can normally get 4500+ into 4200 cells). Anyway, if that's rubbish, then fair enough. I still need new cells as most of my IB4200's are omly good enough for practice packs now and they're not that old either so I may try the Orion cells although there are 2 types to choose from, which is best?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

No one has ever said it is a GP 3700 cell - however, what a few people have said is that the cell is (or should be) only really rated at 3700mAh. No mention that it was made by GP. I have run some, and i think it's a good cell - seems strong. However, if runtime is your number one concern then maybe it might not be for you.

There are 2 orion 4200SHO cells - however, one of them is not legal for EFRA/BRCA use, as it is too long. So i suspect the only ones you will find for sale in Europe/UK will be the the SHO EU cell - which is within the revised sizes.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

the 4 packs that I've had for about 3 months still charge to about 4300 at 9.4v. I charge a 6A.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING
the 4 packs that I've had for about 3 months still charge to about 4300 at 9.4v. I charge a 6A.
I've had mine for 2 months and they were excellent initially, but now have notice that some of the packs go hard for 3 minutes and drop off considerably (like there about to dump) but still putter home for the remainder of the run. After the run I discharged the remainder and there’s not a lot left in them. They are more stable then IB’s with regard to holding the cell voltage, but I’m a little disappointed in the drop off as they have incredible zip at the start but then it’s like the pack overheats (or something) and they drop right off.
I’m only charging at 5 amps and hence why I’ve ask the question if these cells have to be treated in an unorthodox way…

PS> these are the non-EU cells…
Old 02-26-2008, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

Hey Matt, that's what the guys from the last Plymouth meeting were saying you see. As for the drop in performance half way through a heat, it may be that one or more of the cells may be out of match compaired to the rest of the cells in the pack. After the last round of the SW meetings, I cycled all my cells and all the packs had cells that were crappy compaired to others in the pack. So, I re-matched them and hpefully I'll have at least a couple of packs that are ok, the rest are now practice packs.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Regular

My 4200 packs from Cleveland last year still take 4600 mAh of charge and run fine. None of the previous problems my IB's had with discharge, venting on charge, or going flat because of a dead cell. Been running them a couple of times a week since Cleveland.

As long as you keep some charge in them and don't let them set after you tray them they're fine.

If your cells end up getting completely discharged for whatever reason and stay there for more than a day, charge them up about half way at 2 amps and let them set overnight (or untill next week). This will help bring the cell back a little. Fully discharged cells and running them dumped on the track to "finish your lap" are two ways to have problems with the cells.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 2-Bad
I've had mine for 2 months and they were excellent initially, but now have notice that some of the packs go hard for 3 minutes and drop off considerably (like there about to dump) but still putter home for the remainder of the run. After the run I discharged the remainder and there’s not a lot left in them. They are more stable then IB’s with regard to holding the cell voltage, but I’m a little disappointed in the drop off as they have incredible zip at the start but then it’s like the pack overheats (or something) and they drop right off.
I’m only charging at 5 amps and hence why I’ve ask the question if these cells have to be treated in an unorthodox way…

PS> these are the non-EU cells…

What class are you running? What is your FDR? What kind of temps are you getting off of your motor, esc, and batteries? I would also check your car for any binding isues. To me it sounds like the car is pulling a lot of amps. At my local track we have people running these cells in every class and have had no prolbems.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Unregistered... yeah that advise is all pretty standard and is what I normally do. It might just be I need to cycle/condition the packs a little as you suggest.

Pound.. I run Mod with 4.5 to 3.5 LRP motors and TC spec esc... depending on the track, gearing from 7.5 up to 8.7. I generally run the LRP heatsink-fan and the temps never get above 70 degrees C. I don't think it would be a bearing and other maintenance issues as some of my packs the car runs fine. As Unregistered suggested it might just be a bit of a conditioning problem...

Will report back as I cycle them through a couple of times... hope this works thanks guys...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used the eu version of these cells at Carpet wars in the uk and they had the same issues as reported in an earlier post. Very punchy for 2 mins then went quite flat. This was in 5 cell mod so that may be an issue, thay also only peaked at 3900 mah. Thought they were not that good at all and will not be parting with any money on them.