Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stuff rubber.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Default Stuff rubber.....

I've been running rubbers on my car for a few weeks now and I was quite happy with them. Well I went to RCO in PA yesterday for the first time and tried to get them to work. They were a pain in the butt. The first heat consisted of me having nearly zero front grip, it kept going straight foward when I turned the wheel, went back for tuning. Second heat, front grip was there but the rear wanted to step out, got some foams for the next heat(TRC plaid/purple). Third heat, I had a very nice run, it had a little push but overall is the highlight of all my racing so far.

With the foams, even without compound I had lots of grip and there was zero waste as per battery life. When I was running rubber it always felt like I was loosing battery power, with the foams it felt like I had plenty of power from my 2400's start to finish. I didn't true them and have had no chunking, but I've only done about 2 and a bit packs though them so far. I don't think I will go back to rubbers.

The difference really blew me away!
Old 05-25-2003, 03:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Foam tires do pack a ton of traction, it amazed me too how much they had over rubber. Try truing them down a bit, and you will like them even more I'm sure.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

try heating your rubber tires. they seem to get alot more grip hot
Old 05-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

lololololololol fatdoggy, now can you see why we have all of these discussions on the Aussie threads, those who know foam will never put up with the crap associated with rubber.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

and besides the performance advantage of foam, the cost advantage is huge! foam is way cheaper....
Old 05-25-2003, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

o yea...hmm....whats the word? inserts...i think we all know what they are...
Old 05-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the reply's everybody.

Besercoe - Yes I understand now, foams are a hell of alot better.

BK - Yer considering you can get a pair of foams from HK for $8US v.s. $23US which is what I paid.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

Default Rubbers

Hey

ive found wiping wd-40 or RP7 on rubbers priorto race gives you heaps of grip .. it softens the rubber enough to get you through the first 5 laps on cold tyres
Old 05-27-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default Foams vs Rubber

Guys;

I NEVER see anyone mention the Main disadvantage of Foams:

They don't work if the track/surface is even slightly dusty.
I have found with my Nitro Cars, that if the track is loose on Rubber, Foam is going to be worse.
Hooked up with Rubber and Foam will be Faster.

These have been my observations.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Pops-- fortunately we have guys that actually care tp prepare tracks around here!!! No dust= No worries!!!!

As far as Foams vs. Rubbers..... either race fpams or chase the guy racing them!!!

As far as adding heat to the rubber tiresit really wouldn't have helped, FD's tires hadbeen overheated during a race, they where blistering and the rear inserts had started to desintigrate inside the wheels!!!

Fatdoggy- A little more work and we'll be right there with the X-Rays!!!! I personally thik we where just as fast, we just don't have the track time those guys do......
Old 05-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

Were you running on carpet or on asplath(SP), Indoor or outdoor Fatdoggy. Pops is right, A litttle bit of dust and your car is not as hooked up as if it would be with rubbers thats outdoors. Indoors on, carpet foams are the way to go. Pops do any of the factory guys run foams at Socal??? Socal is an indoor asplath track, very high grip and I don't think any runs foam there excpet the pan car guys.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

we run foams on carpet, but also indoor and outdoo aphalt... he was inddors on asphalt and hopefully he will feel the wonders of outdoor aspghalt with foams this weekend!!!!

As stated previously the tracks around here don't get dusty at all.... and we actually take the time to blow them off if they would.....
Old 05-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Fatdoggy- A little more work and we'll be right there with the X-Rays!!!! I personally thik we where just as fast, we just don't have the track time those guys do......
I agree, we were pretty fast at RCO considering. Once the rain clears out and we get a few weeks of consistant racing I recon we'll be up with them or at least close.

Yes the tracks are dust free. But the rubbers will be left in my pit box for testing. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

As for this weekend I won't be able to make it, but I will definately be there next weekend. I have finals all this week and havn't be able to do any maintance on my car so this weekend I'll clean/fix it up and get it ready for next weekend(it's covered with foam tyre dust ). Frederick might have R again this weekend anyway.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Default Dust, Foams, rubber and "Stuff"

IMPACTPLAYR;

Most of my racing is done on Temporary Parking Lot tracks. MOST of the time they do get blown off before the boards are set-up, but not always.
Seems like 90% of the Parking Lots these days have been RE-sealed and are very smooth. If the breeze comes up like it does on many occasions, the dust will drop out and settle on the track making traction worse later in the afternoon.
During the Hot Summer months where the Sun actually melts the sealer a bit, Foams work much better on the "Sealed" surfaces. Seems to be less wind also.

The one local (close by) Permanent Track has excellent traction year round and Foams are the only choice. They Vacuum the Track every morning before opening.

sponger;

I'm not a big fan of So-Cal, but my Friends that race there tell me that Sorex 36R's are the Tire to run.