Search

Choosing a Budget Touring Car for Carpet Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Arrow

Originally Posted by qwkpony
I TQ'd and finished 2nd in the A Main in Brushless rubber tire last week with my TA05R.
The thing I like about the TA05 platform is that it seems to have a large "sweet spot" for its setup. Its not nearly as sensitive to setup changes
as my other two cars (007 and MI3). Put it together per the kit instructions and its dialed out of the box for rubber tire racing. Parts are easy to get and inexpensive. I think that makes it an excellent car for those getting started.
The TA05R - best budget car. It can beat any car out there. It's dialed. IMO.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

TA05 Hands down.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yes... I used to win some races in our local medium size aspalt track with my TC5 / 13.5 novak until this one guy shows up with a TA05 with a silver can motor and laid a spanking on me.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys.

Part of the reason I am shying away from the XXX-S is I had a couple in the various configurations and they weren't as good in my hands as the TC3 I picked up. It was like a night and day thing really and I worked on my XXX-S religiously. Could have been bad luck, but I took a beater TC3 (RTR) and went a whole lap faster when I ran 19T years ago.

The X-Rays are no doubt high quality, was very impressed with them, thing is, I am a shaft man I guess, but I know that the whole scene is now belts especially for mod.

As for going brushless, I would in a heartbeat if I could, but unforunately the class rules are stock or 19T. As I want to keep this fun and not get too crazy into it, I don't plan to go with really high dollar electronics either, possibly a used cyclone TC2 or G-10 ESC, and a decent stocker or 19T.

The main thing is durability for me, after doing the whole BRP wing thing on the TC3 and XXX-S, I would like to avoid that again. I remember the xrays were tanks back then, not sure now. I guess what worries me about them is that there are so many versions I wouldn't know what is compatible and what isn't. at least with the TC3, I kind of know easily.

Exactly what is the issue I that people had with the TC4's versus the TC3's?

Thanks again guys for the info. This is still not a definite thing, but I want to plan it out so if its a go, I am ready.

Also, no lipos allowed either. Heck, to keep it fun I may just run sticks LOL.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm a diehard AE guy and I spent hours on trying to find set ups that would work on the TC4s. I started with a Team TC4 + graphite upgrade kit and then bought a Factory Team TC4 but I still couldnt get anywhere with either car.

I came to the conclusion that I just couldnt drive a touring car and decided to buy a TA05. It was pretty much dialed out of the box. I went from being a non factor to being in the upper half of our club races. The best part it that its practically a tank.

I know its not on your list, but, if you dont even consider this car, your doing yourself a disservice.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ed237
I'm a diehard AE guy and I spent hours on trying to find set ups that would work on the TC4s. I started with a Team TC4 + graphite upgrade kit and then bought a Factory Team TC4 but I still couldnt get anywhere with either car.

I came to the conclusion that I just couldnt drive a touring car and decided to buy a TA05. It was pretty much dialed out of the box. I went from being a non factor to being in the upper half of our club races. The best part it that its practically a tank.

I know its not on your list, but, if you dont even consider this car, your doing yourself a disservice.
I had my tc3 from almost the day they were released, until early this year.

Towards the end of its life I was throwing parts at it left right and centre and still not getting very far with it. Having to drive it 110% to get any half reasonable result out of it and I was snapping uprights and wishbones on apexs etc.

I got my TA05 in april this year, first time out I didnt even have time to get the steering central for its debut race, finally got a good time set in the last round of qualifying and this was in 19t.

I led the race for most of it, then made some stupid mistakes with about a minute to go and finished 2nd, about 2 seconds behind the winner.

Ive not broken a single part on it to this day and its just won me a club stock champioship recently too Its compared to a tank for durability. Nothing seems to break!

I've spent some cash on this car, admittably. (stiffened chassis,shock towers,TRF shocks etc) But its the kind of car you WANT to splash cash on and see where it takes you. It drives very well.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Best thing you can do is get yourself a 2nd hand Xray or something (the brand your LHS has parts for). They go pretty cheap and if you're somewhat careful you can get one in great shape.
The 008 is coming so there'll be enough people thinking they'll be a whole lot faster when they get one ;-)
Old 10-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info guys. I don't really have a local hobbyshop at all, so I would be stock piling parts anyway.

I'll give that TA05 a look.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

I dont want to slate the tc3, but it was never forgiving on the apexs. I can clip a board with the ta05 and keep going. with the tc3 I was usually wrecked out the race.

Yes, I know you shouldnt crash anyway, but racings not fun if there is no forgiveness to the odd driver error and youre out the race. We're all perfect, right?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
I dont want to slate the tc3, but it was never forgiving on the apexs. I can clip a board with the ta05 and keep going. with the tc3 I was usually wrecked out the race.

Yes, I know you shouldnt crash anyway, but racings not fun if there is no forgiveness to the odd driver error and youre out the race. We're all perfect, right?
lol, the TC3 is the car that tought me I should drive without hitting anything
Damn those arms were fragile...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the advice guys. I am looking at the TA05, and watching a deal on a nice XXX-S Graphite with spares.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Cain -

I've had the TA05-R now for about a month. I have to tell you that now that I've put it through the "ringer"...and have hit some boards... hard I might add... I haven't broken ANYTHING yet (knock on wood)

So - I will stand behind it as far as durability goes.

You can't go wrong with it!