Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Tech Adept

Buddha, You're running it stock with the One-Way, yes?

I'm a newbie to carpet and am wondering how "easy" this will be for me to drive?
Old 03-14-2004, 01:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by RCBuddha
DT,

I JUST finished running mine at SoCal tonight, and I have to say, having a car handle this well out of the box is quite impressive. Now, I did some "fine tuning" but the setup was basically box-stock. The car has a tremendous amout of steering, and seems to "whip" out of corners. I was amazed how little effort it took to get the Pro4 setup for racing tonight.

Additionally, I was impressed with how quiet the car runs, and how smooth the drivetrain is. It took me a fair amount of effort and tweaking to get my TC3 as good as the Pro4 is out of the box.

For me the TC3 always felt like it need to be "thrown" into the corners. The Pro4 feels more like it "glides" around corners.

Give the Pro4 a try, I think you may find it a breath of fresh air from the TC3.

Buddha

I wish it that easy to setup for me, I can't even get the toe angle down using the Hudy board. There seems to be too much play on the steering (same with my Pro 3), so when I compress the car down the angle is different every time Plus I think my chassis is bent (is tweaked the right word?). I put the car on the riser blocks (for checking droop), and the car doesn't lay flat. I unscrewed all of the screws a tiny bit, to check to see how it would be, and the car lies flat. Go figure. I'm so depressed, either I have bad luck, or I'm doing something very wrong. Sucks because I thought the Hudy board would be the answer. Now I'm stuck with two un-tuned cars I think its even sadder that I spent the money on all of these tools and I don't even race
Old 03-14-2004, 07:21 AM
Tech Addict

If your steering loose then you did something wrong, take it back apart and reassemble it. I dont have any slop in my whole car,but its new so we'll see. Anyone notice they have put centerline holes in the chassis? Wonder if the Hudy chassis balancing stands fit?
Old 03-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have been racing mine every weekend(bought when they were just out)and I dont have any more slop in the front end than any of my other TC's,and as far as a set up system(having one)if you dont race..why bother(other than tinkering).I have allways been more concerned with ride height and tweak..
Old 03-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Default Pro4

Thinkin of gettin this car...
What are some of the problems of this car? and What are some of the +'s of this car? LMK thanks
Old 03-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I got another chance to run the car on foam/carpet/paragon. With a diff. Again, i basically ran the Hara setup, but added Losi 1* rear hubs reversed to take away toe in. So I had about 2* total. Still with 2.5* front inboard toe out. I wound up putting about .5mm prodive in the front to try to balance out the reaction of the toe out. That really helped to smooth the car out.

I also changed springs from Congo purple/blue to Losi white /black. The poundage is the same, but the Losi springs seemed a little less progressive. I thought the car didn't roll as much. A rear swaybar also helped to get the car thru the corner a little better, this was stock motor.

I did change the inner mounting of the camber links in the last qualifier, lowering them .5 front and rear from 3/3.5 to 2.5/3mm. This was a mistake, the car got too reactive and almost seemed to blow out the traction 1/2 way thru the race and wanted to slide(!). Looking back I think I would have just lowered the front. The rear wanted to break loose about 1/3 to 1/2 way thru the corner. Maybe i also could have run a bit more rear droop.

Overall though, i did get a lot of nice comments on how well the car ran, esp. for the second weekend ever. i qualified about a lap back from Brian jucha, which isn't so bad if you saw how awesome his car was. I probably could have done even a little better had i not blown the 4th qualifier. I got packed on the first lap in the main, and that was it for me but overall the car just gets faster. Thank you HPI
Old 03-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have mine and I am close to finishing the build.I am looking for some high bite asphalt setup help.I am switching form a TC3 to the new PRO4 and any help for set up is appreciated.With the TC3 I ran blue front/silver rear springs,no sway bars,5/3 droop,4mm/5mm ride height,and it was in the stock TC class.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

Add me to blown gear club. Anybody got them in stock?
Old 03-14-2004, 06:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally posted by Beeb
Buddha, You're running it stock with the One-Way, yes?

I'm a newbie to carpet and am wondering how "easy" this will be for me to drive?
Beeb,

yup, it was basically box-stock. i ran the car with the one-way in 19 turn. I made a few roll adjustments to the front, but other than that, the car felt pretty good. I plan on doing some more tuning with AE springs, so i should have a setup within a week or two for anyone on indoor asphault.

I couldn't tell you how it would react on carpet, perhaps someone else could.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

which gears did you guys "blow" up?
Old 03-14-2004, 06:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally posted by dreambrother
I wish it that easy to setup for me, I can't even get the toe angle down using the Hudy board. There seems to be too much play on the steering (same with my Pro 3), so when I compress the car down the angle is different every time Plus I think my chassis is bent (is tweaked the right word?). I put the car on the riser blocks (for checking droop), and the car doesn't lay flat. I unscrewed all of the screws a tiny bit, to check to see how it would be, and the car lies flat. Go figure. I'm so depressed, either I have bad luck, or I'm doing something very wrong. Sucks because I thought the Hudy board would be the answer. Now I'm stuck with two un-tuned cars I think its even sadder that I spent the money on all of these tools and I don't even race
Dreambrother,

Take your time and redo all your screws using the "cross tightening" method:

1 - 4
3 - 2

For the top deck, lay the car on an flat surface, and tighten using the method Erik posted a little while back.

My one recommendation is to have someone help you re-build the car on a non-race day, and to make sure things are being built correctly. I had a little slop in the ball cups, but not any more than any other car I own.

Buddha
Old 03-14-2004, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by SOuthernFRIED
I have mine and I am close to finishing the build.I am looking for some high bite asphalt setup help.I am switching form a TC3 to the new PRO4 and any help for set up is appreciated.With the TC3 I ran blue front/silver rear springs,no sway bars,5/3 droop,4mm/5mm ride height,and it was in the stock TC class.
I believe Speedworld has some in stock.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

why do i alllllllllways get ignored in this thread...
Old 03-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

I believe the front ring and pinion gears. Read up in the thread.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Super Steve
why do i alllllllllways get ignored in this thread...
Read the thread....it's a hip thing to do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.