Search

PCM no good for Electric Cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 12:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default PCM no good for Electric Cars

Hello im in the process in trading my stuff for a PCM recievers, only
to find that one of the experienced racers in my area told me there not good for electric becuase the response would be preety slow, is this true ??
Old 05-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

The problem is not good or bad to electronic. It's the usefulness. I have both HRS and PCM on my several EP. Frankly speaking, I can't tell the difference.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:41 AM
Tech Master

Default noticable

Ok, i thought the lag would be noticable. Anyone else ??
Old 05-30-2003, 04:07 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

No lag with PCM.....anyone telling you this must be reading too many books....tell them to stay there and keep out of RC....
Old 05-30-2003, 04:45 AM
Tech Adept

can't see what the problem with pcm is, if there is any delay it will be in microseconds which Michael Schumacher himself would not be able to tell the difference.

sanj
Old 05-30-2003, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Default i respect him

The person who told me this is very professional i have a geat deal of respect to him, thanks for your response ill be doing the deal i guess its worth swapping my TC2 for 2 PCM1024 plus cash what you guys think ??
Old 05-30-2003, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

You do realise you need a PCM transmitter as well?
Old 05-30-2003, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Talking OFCOURSE

I dont think i would waste my time going through all this trouble if
i didnt have PCM tx
Old 05-30-2003, 07:27 AM
Tech Adept

don't multiplex have a pcm set.

just wondering if they would be compatible as the sampling rates might be different.

sanj
Old 05-31-2003, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Apparently the PCM1024 & HRS doesn't work well on electric cars. There is a lag on PCM due to the conversion time but you probably won't notice this lag. The main issue is that the PCM and HRS detect possible glitch and lock your radio, the detection process is too sensitive for electric car. Any slight interferece from your electric motor can cause a short lock-up. Go to a big race and look at the top 20 cars, how many are using PCM or HRS?
Old 05-31-2003, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Everyone at my track who uses the 3pk is currently using HRS in their electric cars. We have some guys on 75mhz who do occasionall experience "hits" but at no point are their receivers locking up. PCM is perfectly acceptable to use with electric cars, PCM is designed to help combat interference. The reason it's so popular in NITRO racing circles, is because Nitro cars, with all their metal on metal contact, generate way more RF Noise than Ep cars do. For years on the big Velodrome Ovals here in the states, Oval racers have sworn by PCM because the Tracks are a 1/4 mile driving line. There's nothing wrong with using PCM in your electric car.

As has been previously stated, there is a slight delay....... measured in MICROSECONDS. If you were Masami or Joel, you might notice it on carpet with a 12thscale car, but a mere mortal will only feel a difference if he believes the difference is there.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:26 PM
Tech Initiate

ok i see
Old 05-31-2003, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

PCM and HRS work fine in electrics. If you own a 3PK you can see in the manual that there's a section to help setup an ESC to work with the faster frame rate of the HRS. PCM isn't the same as a dual conversion receiver which does take a few milliseconds longer to process. PCM is simply Pulse Code Modulation or digital instead of analog PPM (FM) the signal isn't processed any longer than a regular FM signal. Also you don't need to activate the fail-safe if that is your preference and indeed it isn't necessary for electrics at all (ever see an electric run away at WOT?).

The problem is that perhaps someone thought that they would see a huge difference and when they didn't feel the faster response (and who can?) they start dissing the radio. Mine seems to be working as good as any other high quality radio does. I've tried the Mars R and it is the same as the 3PK, both are wonderful radios.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

If they're so good, how come none of the top drivers are using PCM in electric?
Old 05-31-2003, 08:09 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Normally in big races the TX are collected and the use of them is very well controlled....therefore, the chance of glitching from clashing frequencies is zero! Thats why these top drivers do not use them..coupled with he fact tha FM RX are smaller than the PCM as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.