Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo vs Nimh Racing and Minimum Weight

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgen
I have read this from the beginning twice now. You asked our opinion should lipos run the same weight as the 6c. Well, most on here posted in favor of the current weight limit. Running the lipo technology is new for the touring guys and is slowing gaining acceptance and an optional power source, so we must work within the guidelines. As more and more racer switch over I am sure the weight will be address.

At my local track we run a 19t touring class. We've allowed the 13.5 and 10.5 bl to run along with the 19t brushed cars. So far we've the majority of racers are moving towards bl. I am the only one who runs lipos and I had to plead my case to run it. New technology everyone doesn't know. Thankfully the touring guys I run with have a open mind. Last week another racer had a lipo pack in there car. So it slowing growing at our club level. We don't tech weight so and the motor's is a gentleman's agreement. So far there's really have been no real issue with a lighter running.

Our state race was the first time I ran my car at legal weight. I can say I actually like it. My PHI was balanced and handled better with the weights. Now if the weight limit was lowered, I would have no problem changing

I am basically saying the local club racing has to start the moving and setting guidelines, then it will move up. You've stated that your club has already been testing. Post some of the results. Show us what your club is learning.

Obtw, I choose to run brushless and a lipo for the convinence of racing. Also, I've noticed the lipos are at a disadvantage as far as the punch factor, but just knowing your pack will perform consistently and not worry about a cell dropping is all in the reward of finishing a race strong.
I see what you're saying bro...I get it...that's what pretty much all the nimh users have been posting, also. For FSEARA or other ROAR events, of course we plan to run w/ the organizations weight rules- tough...things will change within a year or two and weight will be adjusted and our cars and equipment will reap all the benefits- much cooler temps and less stress on parts, etc...but at our club and events that we will sponsor at our track we'll take a bit more cosiderate approach and take the lead, as we did with lipo and brushless a few years back...

Like I have posted based on our many, many months of running nothing but Lipo and BL for the past 2 yrs, we know what Lipo w/o the ballast weight can do: very fast, and cooler esc temps and battery temps, longer wear and money saved on diffs and other parts- bearings, etc...when you add all the weight- the cars are slower and batteries get hot, as well esc and motor- causing gearing pblms- you need to gear a tooth less and sacrifice speed to avoid thermals in some cases, and parts wear faster and break more often- some pack just dont work in mod after they heat up amongst other issues...

However, if you're running 19T and Stock, heat issues should be such a pblm...I have not tested w/ 19T and Lipo and see what the limits are- we will be testing, however...I have my Orion 10.5 BL ready for this Sunday. We'll have our lap time system going and we'll how it does w/o weights, and at 1350, 1450, and 1525...it should be fun.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Forgive me since I havent had a physics class in many years. But wouldnt the fragility of it lessen at the same time b/c there would be less weight hiting the wall at 30MPH? So maybe it would be a wash?

yyhayyim, Im actually not familar with this John guy but it sounds like he is into the safety of lipo as well.
Read his posts on the TC5, LiPO, Lithium-Ion Nanophosphate" thread. Its very popular, and he's done a lot of research on lipos and puts results. You'll really enjoy it. Also check out the Pantoura Pancar threafd where he discusses lipo and their chemistry and safety issues...