Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it true about Barry Baker

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Suspended

Cool

Seems he's had some other regrettable moments in his past....
Attached Thumbnails Is it true about Barry Baker-burtbaker.jpg  
Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
Who can argue this fact about Barry? He's won two ROAR National titles this year! One on carpet and one on asphalt!

APACHE!
He was at the Sedan Challenge at the C ( indoor asphalt track ) in Frederick, MD June 23rd and 24th, 3 weeks before ROAR's National onroad asphalt. In the 2 days prior to the race he was there getting his cars ready and you could not ask for a better ambassator for RC racing. A lot of local racers had heard that factory drivers were spoiled/etc but Barry and Ray Darroch changed their minds. During the 2 days of practice Barry and Ray never tuned away anyone who wanted help or ask a question.

Now back to what ever the point of this thread was....

Haven't we all punched/kicked/punted a car before... I have only thrown 1 car at a race... I was marshalling one of the mains and a car crashed hard in the corner. I picked it up and saw it had broken an arm and jammed the dogbone. The driver screamed at me to fix it, I told him once it was not repairable and ignored him ranting and raving on the drivers stand the rest of the race. After the race was over I was bringing the car over to him and when I got within 10 feet he thought he was a smart ass and hit the throttle.
The tire took a hunk of skin from my hand and he started laughing thinking it was quite the joke. That car turned into a UFO but landed hard against one of the parking lot light poles about 40 feet away... He stopped laughting and about 10 people started yelling/screaming at him for being an idiot.... If I didn't have to stop the bleeding I would have had a little chat with him...
Haven't seen him since....
Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

McSmooth,

Glad I missed Barry dancing at the gate... My eyes are burning.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yes it's true, Barry is my Father
Old 09-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by McSmooth
Seems he's had some other regrettable moments in his past....
Totally disturbing.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kropy
Yes it's true, Barry is my Father
I knew I saw a resemblence
Old 09-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I saw Barry at the mod. nats in Chicago get alittle upset also. He was accused of taking Mr. Kinwald out in the first corner when he clearly had the inside line. I know if it had happened to me I wouldn't have been as nice! And that was along time ago. He's always been nice when I've been around him.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Microcrazy...Yes I did break my hand..it was over a year ago at the paved Nats in Roseville...It was my fault and noone else....I made a mistake on the track that resulted in a broken car(mine)on a good run...I acted childish and turned and hit the back of the driver stand resulting in a broken hand..I was STUPID!!!!Plain and simple!..That mistake has changed my whole life and the way I view my job.As stated earlier in this thread I made the mistake but I also learned from it.Sometimes you take things for granted...I did and also paid the price for it.

Something that people dont know....After the paved nats this year I had my mind made up that it was time to retire..well I had a few sponsors call me and talk and they talked me out of it...The sponsors I have are great!..Without them I dont know where I would be.They all know who they are but for people that dont they are RcAmerica,Hudy,Xray,Checkpoint,SMC,Jaco,Odonnell,M ax Power,Futaba,Novak,Protoform,Proline,Dekelz.com,Sp eed Merchant,Pdub racing,Hybrid,Much More racing,Competition Electronics,Kolors by Kropyand Mugen racing...(if I missed anyone please let me know and I will revise my post).

I also would like to thank everyone that has come on this tread and has been so nice...Thank You!

Hope to see everyone at the IIC if you are coming or any of the other races I will be attending..Please dont be afraid to come up and say hi and if you have any questions at all while at these races please come up and ask them and I will be happy to answer them the best I can...

Thanks again,

Barry Baker

P.S.............I AM NOT KROPY'S FATHER!........LOL

Last edited by Barry Baker; 09-19-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You are my new hero.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Too bad it took a broken hand but congrats on it changing your life! I still think you made a clean pass on Kinwald though!lol
Old 09-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Like I posted before you could not have a better person at your track. You hear stories that some of the sponsored drivers think they are better than everyone else but after I met him I found out that Barry was not like that at all.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've know Barry for well over 10+ years...one of the few sponsored drivers whom you can approach for help...hell of a golfer as well
Old 09-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I saw Barry at my local track (So Cal Raceway in HB, CA) about a month ago running 27 turn touring, that dude is so fast!

Last edited by SRBMOJO; 09-19-2007 at 08:32 AM.