R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   What is the deal with GT7's (PROBLEM) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/18088-what-deal-gt7s-problem.html)

StephenSobottka 05-12-2003 05:33 PM

I have been using a gt7 in my xray for about 6 months now. It works awesome. I never experienced any glitching or ne faulty things happen to it. Ive ran 9x2 thru stocks on it. Ive heard all kinds of things about all speedos lately. I think some of the problem is what type of people are using the product. Im not saying people are stupid and shouldnt have one or arent good enough to have one, but everyone makes a mistake soldering a motor or pack in. Maybe these times it has been a gt7 by coincidence. This is my personal view on the subject.

KINGZJ 05-12-2003 07:59 PM

Novak has come out with an update for the gt7. If you are using regular shotky diodes you need to use as many as 4 of them to protect the speedo otherwise novak has come out with a new diod thingy that replaces the shotky and protects the speedo. If you don't have your speedo setup like this you might run into problems. I guess this is the cause of most of the problems with the gt7.

rc-zombies 05-12-2003 08:50 PM

I've got one on my SD and Xray EVO2 never had a single problem. Thinking of getting a third for my F201.

Jay Dub 05-12-2003 10:21 PM

I have not ran Novak products for many years, Because I had problems in the past. But recently something possesed me to purchase a GT7 and I was pleasantly surprised -for a week, and then it smoked. No reason, I just turned it on and POOF. I had run about 10 batteries thru it, nothing different than before. I am very dissapointed. I guess I am going to send it back to get it fixed, and then pawn it off on some poor shmuck because I know I can't trust these products. I will never spend my hard earned money on the orange again.

Carbon_Fibre3 05-12-2003 10:24 PM

someone over here in aus had one totally short out (possible metl down?) at a big meeting i was at. From then on he was convereted to LRP Quantum Comp.

syntex1 05-12-2003 10:51 PM

mine has worked for a while now sometimes i dont even bother to run stokky diodes on my mod motors or stock and nothing has happened so maybe im lucky or some of u guys out there are just unlucky.

Speed Demon 05-12-2003 11:02 PM

got my GT7 for about 6-7 months and have been using them without any failure.... never once... and I am using 2 diodes for stock.. and 3-4 diodes for mods... I think the setting of the Tx must be checked before using any ESC's... Novak does reccomend a setting in their manual...

racerdx6 05-18-2003 05:41 PM

I'm going to get a 1/12 scale car and I plan to get the GT7. Another option I had was the TC2. Has any one had any problems with the updated GT7's? I don't want to buy an esc that is likely to die.
Speed Demon- What Tx setting? Which setting do you mean needs to be checked? I'm kinda fuzzy on what you mean here..... :weird: .
Has anyone had any problems with the TC2? People have reccomended the GT7 over the TC2 especially for 1/12 scale because of how much smaller it is and how much smoother it is. I've heard of people melting down the Quantum Comp really quickly. People at my track don't seem to have any problem with the GT7. Mabey the Pacific Northwest is just GT7 happy :lol: :p , jk.

Balak Racing 05-18-2003 07:03 PM

Originally posted by KINGZJ
Novak has come out with an update for the gt7. If you are using regular shotky diodes you need to use as many as 4 of them to protect the speedo otherwise novak has come out with a new diod thingy that replaces the shotky and protects the speedo. If you don't have your speedo setup like this you might run into problems. I guess this is the cause of most of the problems with the gt7.
Where did you read this? There isn't anything on Novak's website about this. I also have been using my GT7 with no issues, but I race more stock than mod.

Bryan

Korey Harbke 05-18-2003 07:17 PM

A team Tamiya driver up here todl me he melted one with a 10x2. Reg Cyclone still rules!

racerdx6 05-18-2003 07:52 PM

I think I'll still get the GT7. I'll probably only be racing stock, too. If it makes any difference.

Speed Demon 05-18-2003 10:59 PM

Speed Demon- What Tx setting? Which setting do you mean needs to be checked? I'm kinda fuzzy on what you mean here..... .
well... the GT7 has the manual with it... they reccomend those things like EPA, EXP and etc... check you manual dude...

I saw a KO schottky,.. it's huge compared to a normal schottky... and it cost much more than a normal schottky... they claim that it can boost your performance up to 30-40%.. I dunno if it's true....
anybody???

Simon K 05-18-2003 11:27 PM

I wouldn't confuse a Schottky diode with a power capacitor as you may have done, Speed Demon.

johnbull 05-19-2003 12:05 AM

Hi guys. greetings from Malta.

Our experience with electronic speedos goes back over 10 years.

We race hot motors in very hot temperatures - it's us that gets melt down, not the speedos.

We haven't always used Novak. We used to use another good brand but changed to Novak after experiencing poor service with the other brand.

In the last 6 or 7 years we have gone exclusively Novak, and I am glad to say we have never had any problems. That's not to say we haven't cooked speedos. We have but it has always been because we have done something wrong. We have never had a speedo failure in normal service.

My son's Novak GT7 equipped TC3 developed a serious glitching problem last weekend which we traced down to faulty capacitors. I have run the car since without problems.

One or two guys cook their speedos with monotonous regularity but you only have to see the messy wiring to understand why. Whatever brand those types have they will have problems.

Finally the biggest plus for Novak is their service. At least if you do have a problem you know they are going to put you right.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.

KINGZJ 05-19-2003 12:52 AM

At my local track the owner is handing out the new diodes to everyone that has purchased a gt7 from the store. He told me that they were sent from novak because of the problems they were having with the gt-7's. Well I never had any problems with my 2 but I installed the new diodes anyways and still don't have any problems.