Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The One True 13.5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Great thread, kinda takes over where my thread went bad about ROAR STOCK BRUSHLESS..

I really hope ROAR steps up and comes up with next generation 27T and 19T stock rules. Currently or for the last few years or decades in the case of 27T these classes have been very successfull. Im really hoping that we see a standard or rules capping the cost and performance out put of 13.5 and 10.5

I know each club can do what it wants, but without some sort of leash or rules there could easily be the motor of the month wars with the next 13.5 pushing the limits are really out performing the older 13.5. Just with in the novak camp there is 3 13.5 motors all wich perform differently. I know brushed stock advanced with fast motors but it was all done within a set of rules to ensure a 27t did not become a 26t with 26degrees of timing..
Old 09-06-2007, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maximebeauvais
now, why do we have to do all those testing...why ROAR don't do his job on brushless motor? it is because all the big motor tuner have too much influence on ROAR
Good point. ROAR will have to come around soon. With that said my local track allows 13.5's and Lipos...not sure that will change once ROAR comes up with something.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by maximebeauvais
now, why do we have to do all those testing...why ROAR don't do his job on brushless motor? it is because all the big motor tuner have too much influence on ROAR
Good Point, but then we could start talking conspiracy theory like on all sorts of things.

From what I can tell, ROAR takes it time to see where the market is going so they can change their rules accordingly instead of trying to make rules to drive what the market can do. They don't have the power to regulate RC, only create rules that allow somewhat fair competition based on market direction. In this case, Brushless is still in its infancy, although Novak has been in Brushless for 4-years now. Only in this year (2007) has everyone else decided to jump into Brushless. I would expect 2008 or 2009 to fully encompass Brushless, but I think Lipo batteries are still a few more years away.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

brushless rocks, i have raced the summer sizzler and the vegas warm up race and did not need to cut my motor or put new brushes in
Old 09-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ehlert
brushless rocks, i have raced the summer sizzler and the vegas warm up race and did not need to cut my motor or put new brushes in
Isn't that wonderful, no motor maintenance.... Why can't all the brushed guys get that through their head.

Anyway, I would be interested to see someone test each 13.5 Brushless motor and compare lap times, or compare power outputs on a dyno. Hopefully they are all close, no specific advantage to one.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anybody know what motors are equal to the Novak SS13.5 pro? LRP? Orion? Etc.... I am trying to compile a list we can present to our club to limit the motor of the month thing...

Anyone know anything on the LRP Eraser??? And how does the LRP Vector 13.5 compare to the Novak ss13.5 pro? Does the Vector have adjustable timing?

I am also trying to find some specs on the Tekin 13.5 motor that is due for release at the end of the month... I have e-mailed the tech department and have received no reply...
Old 09-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Joel,

I have had some discussion with EXCOMM members about stock/19t brushless rules, and in passing was told that a group of manufacturers, along with ROAR, is working to come up with a better set of rules to govern these type of motors.

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Great thread, kinda takes over where my thread went bad about ROAR STOCK BRUSHLESS..

I really hope ROAR steps up and comes up with next generation 27T and 19T stock rules. Currently or for the last few years or decades in the case of 27T these classes have been very successfull. Im really hoping that we see a standard or rules capping the cost and performance out put of 13.5 and 10.5

I know each club can do what it wants, but without some sort of leash or rules there could easily be the motor of the month wars with the next 13.5 pushing the limits are really out performing the older 13.5. Just with in the novak camp there is 3 13.5 motors all wich perform differently. I know brushed stock advanced with fast motors but it was all done within a set of rules to ensure a 27t did not become a 26t with 26degrees of timing..
Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JPG333
Does anybody know what motors are equal to the Novak SS13.5 pro? LRP? Orion? Etc.... I am trying to compile a list we can present to our club to limit the motor of the month thing...

Anyone know anything on the LRP Eraser??? And how does the LRP Vector 13.5 compare to the Novak ss13.5 pro? Does the Vector have adjustable timing?

I am also trying to find some specs on the Tekin 13.5 motor that is due for release at the end of the month... I have e-mailed the tech department and have received no reply...

I can only go by my experience but in the past 3 weeks I have run a Novak SS13.5 and an LRP Vector 13.5 (bonded rotor) and for me, the lap times are extremely close (Fastest lap with both is 9.6). On a personal level, the LRP felt stronger coming out of the corners but that didn't result in faster lap times.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
I can only go by my experience but in the past 3 weeks I have run a Novak SS13.5 and an LRP Vector 13.5 (bonded rotor) and for me, the lap times are extremely close (Fastest lap with both is 9.6). On a personal level, the LRP felt stronger coming out of the corners but that didn't result in faster lap times.
so in your opinion would a LRP run better on a technical course?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

I guess you could say that guys would use the "Feel" to suite there driving styles but from what ive heard there should be similarities in Kv and RPM between 13.5 spec motors.
Some might be torquey and some less just like brushed.
I might be wrong but its what ive been picking up from reading the board.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
kinda wish the other two "copied" the Novak design with the solder tabs
these are available from SpeedPassion
to work with the LRP or Orion open type solder holes
Old 09-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tekin 13.5 brushless????

Does anybody know any inside info on the Tekin 13.5 motor coming out? I have tried to get Specs from their technical dept. and not a reply. Their website is also lacking information. Normally I wouldn't care, because they are a small company... But we have a few guys that are intrested in it up here and I want some facts on it before we allow it.

And the other question I have is will the Tekin 13.5 be faster than the Novak 13.5 because it is unsensored???
Old 09-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rc-zombies
these are available from SpeedPassion
to work with the LRP or Orion open type solder holes
Ha, those look just like those peg things for your cheap furniture adjustable height shelving.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Soldering the wires direct to the motor would be a better connection if you know what you are doing. Every time you solder something into a circuit it creates resistance.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Can you say, "Handout 13.5 BL motor?"

I'm just kidding. With multiple manufacturers involved, there is always going to be a slight difference in performance between stock motors - and as has been mentioned, there will always be the newer and better BL motor within the manufacturer's own product line. I think the words, "You just can't win", come to mind. Short of ROAR coming up with a build spec (Wouldn't that be something!), all motors will not be created 100% equal.

BTW... Is it just me or would you guys also like to see ESC, profile and track info (surface/size/layout) when people talk about motor performance and comparisons? IMO, it makes a difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.