Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to X-ray, got some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default New to X-ray, got some questions.

Well first off some stupid questions, I have an Xray T2 TC, I'm brand new to the hobby so bare with me, I plan on racing stock first I already have a GTB system so I plan on getting a 13.5. BL novak motor for stock racing, might as well run BL if I have the capability to do it. I've been looking at getting tools and well I thought, well all my screws on my Xray are 2.0mm so why should I bother getting a whole tool set, so my only real question right now is, are all the screws on the T2 2.0mm if not what other sizes should I be getting. Second, should I install roll bars? Some of the setups I see have them but I was at the race track today and nobody seemed to be running any cars with roll bars. Ok and now for a general question, when I've been looking around for hex drivers everyone tells me get titanium or steel so I look around and find all the common RC hex drivers and what not, well I was at homedepot yesterday in the tool department, not for hex drivers, but I decided to stop and look and low and behold they have high quality steel hex keys, granted none with handles which is a bit of a disadvantage, but they are a lot cheaper, now I'm not looking for a flame answer or a stupid well use it then and see how it goes answer, I'm looking for a good straight forward ppl don't use them because of X, I don't mind spending 30 bucks on a set of tools but I would mind it if I can get a set that would work just as well for 8.

Also I'm looking at purchasing a Spektrum dx2.0 system, definately not top of the line for spektrum but then I'm just starting, any big minuses on this system?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Just get a full set of hex tools, 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm.

You will need atleast the 1.5mm and 2mm (use the 1.5mm for pinion gears).

And when I built my MTX4 kit, I would have gone insane using allen keys.

They definately pay for themselves with the level of frustration that you will avoid.

And as for the full set? you may need them on a future car you decide to buy?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well, the xray seems to like swaybars if you are running on rubber tires just from testing them out at most tracks. But... it really depends on the track conditions. It's not a bad idea to have them, but not a thing you absolutely have to have. Just check and see what everyone else is running on the T2 at your track.

If no one is running the T2 at your track, I can give you a good starter setup if you like. Feel free to PM me, or post in the Xray threads. I'm always around to help.

Oh as far as tools... I feel Hudy tools are the best. They have very high quality tips and that are almost indestructable. They are spendy for the average hobbist though....

Integy has a solid set of tools for about 25 bucks that comes with 1.5mm, 2.0mm/ 5/64, 2.5mm, .050", 1/16, and 3/32 wrenches. The only one missing is the 3mm wrench, but you can usually just buy a cheapie for that. They are good quality tools, have replaceable tips, and have colored handles for identification.

-Korey
Old 09-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

I've been looking at the integy sets on ebay, they run their own store there it seems, and I haven't seen a set like the one you've mentioned. The main reason why I'm asking about the 2.0 being the main one is I figure if I only really need one or 2 I can just go and buy 2 or 3 GOOD wrenches instead of a pretty decent set of which I won't use half the wrenches.

Nobody seems to run T2 here that I saw but I think I found a decent setup, I pulled it off of the teamxray site, LiLchamp was the name for the USA ROAR Outdoor Nationals 2006, stock.

But yeah pm me or email me your setup, I'd definately take a look at it.

email [email protected]
Old 09-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Regional Moderator

Just get the Hudy 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 mm x 120mm shaft Hex drivers, and also their 0.050 and 0.063 (1/16) x 120mm shaft hex drivers for pinions. Buy good tools once, or cheap tools again and again. The Hudy tips are almost indestructable, and will also help prevent stripped heads on screws. If you don't want to spend the $$ for the aluminum handle versions, look for the Hudy ProfiTool series. Same tips, plastic handles. Also get the Hudy 3mm turnbuckle wrench, and the 7mm nut driver for wheel nuts if you so desire. You won't regret buying the Hudy tools.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ahh... I always forget about the profi tools. They are a decent price as well.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2496&search=Go

It says that the set doesnt include 2mm... but 5/64 is pretty much 2mm. Integy tips are a touch oversized so they fit really tight, so 5/64 is just about right in the integy line.

Just get a decent set of tools... thats the bottom line. You'll be much happier in the long run. Personally I use Hudy, and I'm really happy with them. But when I was first starting out, the integy tools got the job done

Travs setup is a pretty good starting setup. I have a few on xray's Setup database that are pretty good too.

-Korey
Old 09-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

Well I guess I'll look into some nice wrenches, I might just buy them singly buy the ones that I need. Just slowly start my collection of hudys. I've gotten a handful of pms about tool sets since I started this thread, ohh 3 hours or so ago. So who knows.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Tech Addict

you need a 1.5MM 2MM 3MM and a 1/16in nut drivers
Old 09-03-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

any reason the 1/16th in my tool box wouldn't work??
Old 09-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For Xray you only *absolutely* need 1,5 and 2 mm (99% of screws).

3mm is handy for the shocks, but you can use 2mm.

I highly recomend the profitool range. The tip is the same quality as regular Hudy, wich means it will last forever.

On the long run, 2 mm hex ball type is very handy for droop screws and other occasions, but i wouldnt recomend getting just the ball driver.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jsl6v8
any reason the 1/16th in my tool box wouldn't work??
Because the standard nut is 7mm.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

in that case the 7mm nut would work just fine.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm going to recomend the dynamite hex drivers with the knurled aluminum handles. These are much easier to grip than hudy tools and the tips are very strong and will outlast your wrist for sure. Oh yeah and you are only going to end up spending around $25 on them.