Wiki Posts
Search

Novak 13mm Sintered Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Technology will never, ever, ever stand still. The sooner we all realize and accept that, the easier out lives will be. None of us will ever see a technology so great that it can no longer be improved upon.

I mean, come on, lets be serious. After well over a year of running their brushless motors all over the world, Novak finds one minor thing to tweak to improve the motors and stay ahead of the competition, and now the sky is falling? Really?

The original sintered rotor should go down in history as one of the greatest things to ever happen to R/C. It truly brought brushless motors into the limelight, and has got to be the longest lasting "consumable" part in a motor ever. The fact that Novak found a way to improve on something that so greatly enhanced our hobby is cause for celebration, not bitching and crying.
A circle can not be improved, yet we keep trying to make round rounder.
So if they make it as big as the bonded then we can say they improved it again.?
They just made it bigger, or rounder. Soon I will have 2 or 3 to swap around with all my motors. And if the old one is slower they are history.
I guess I could wait for the 14.34mm...

I'm going to save one to make a necklace out of it.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Sounds like whining to me. (shrugs shoulders)

It's like sitting in the drive-thru at McDonald's complaining that you have to buy the large fries. Not only do you not have to buy it...it's not at all certain whether it will (in fact) be of any benefit to you if you do buy it.

"Somebody stop me before I buy again!"
you sound like a dick <shrugs shoulders>
Old 07-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RussB
it's a $30 upgrade... some people on here buy heatsinks for their wires. it's not that big of a cost.
I hear ya. It will be nice when we can have every can and every rotor to fine tune a specific torque or rpm. Its one more thing that will help as far as tunability.

Show up to the track with a case full of rotors and a case full of cans and tweak our bunns off.

Back to the drawing board its starting to sound like work again.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyrc
you sound like a dick <shrugs shoulders>
You sound like someone who got pwned by your own post...LOL

I think <====Oscar is coming into your room to say goodbye.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/25/dea....ap/index.html
Old 07-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If it does nothing else but improve the gearing window for the 13.5, I'd pay $60 for it. I can rollout my 13.5 anywhere from about 38mm to 44mm, and somewhere in there, there's about .5mm where the motor performs its best. Anything above or below, and it's a bit slower, which makes it really hard to tell which direction you need to go. This ideal window of rollout is difficult to hit right with foam tires changing sizes, track layouts changing, and driving/setup changes.

Anyway, if this rotor makes that window bigger, that would be really great. I love the 13.5, but getting the gearing just right can be frustrating sometimes.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
You sound like someone who got pwned by your own post...LOL

I think <====Oscar is coming into your room to say goodbye.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/25/dea....ap/index.html
I would shoot that cat. Throw a rock at a crow but shoot that cat.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
I would shoot that cat. Throw a rock at a crow but shoot that cat.
Naaahhh...he's not making anyone die. He just notices that they're on the way out before the bipeds do. Pretty nice deal you ask me.

He's been spotted just outside Trinity's front door recently...LOL
Old 07-30-2007, 08:56 AM
The Evicerator

Just wanted to drop in here to address some people's concerns/questions:

Implications for spec class racing.

We realize that there are MANY 13.5 and 10.5 motors out there being used in various spec classes with the original sintered rotor.

With this in mind we added a visible groove to the 13.0 mm rotor shaft so that it could be easily identified as DIFFERENT from the stock sintered rotor that is currently being shipped in all the Velociti and the Pro series SS motors.

This way if your series/track has a rule, you can rest assure that everyone in your class is running the correct (stock sintered) rotor with a simple look at the motor's exterior.

Gearing Changes

In touring car applications we have found it necessary to gear the car up approximately 10% from where we were with the standard sintered rotor.

This means that if I was running a 19/116 in my xray 007 with six cells, I would now run 21 or 22/116. So most of the time this means 2-3 teeth up with 64 pitch gears.

With 5 cells you will need to gear up another 2-3 teeth from this.

Feel changes:

I like this rotor because of how it seems to add better driving consistancy not only through accelleration out of the corners but almost more importantly when decellerating and slowing down into corners.

The brakes feel more consistant from low to high speed and I feel that they are overall stronger as well.

Also, the motor power/braking seems to stay more consistant to me throughout a hard run as well.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Steve,
Any thoughts on whether this rotor would have any positive effect in offroad applications? I am replacing one of my resin rotors and I'm trying to decide if I should wait for this to be available.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

thanks steve, that does clear up a few issues, an sounds like it will really help those of us running mod pan cars as we often have to go waaay down in the pinion range.. like to 12,13,14t range and mesh is poor at best down there.. thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

An extra 2 teeth? If Novak keeps this up I will be running the same size spur and pinion before too long
Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks Steve, that's good to hear. The site mentions an improved gearing window. Does that mean you feel like the motor will perform well at a larger range of gearing? Also, what's new about the material used? Is it more resistant to heat and such? And finally, when can I buy one?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 AM
The Evicerator

Kuzo,

Even though I haven't had a chance to test it in offroad yet I think that the benefits would be worth at least trying it.

Even though the brakes may become over-all a bit too strong I think that the natural drag that the motor has in it will help when decellerating when letting off the throttle or when jumping.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

ANy idea when it will be available?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:19 AM
The Evicerator

I believe they are aiming on starting to ship them out soon... I'd say the next few weeks... but it's impossible to say for sure what will happen for sure!

As far as the gearing window goes, I still feel like there is always an optimum gearing for a given track... but for instance durring testing guys ran the new rotor in 3.5Rs with gearings ranging from 7.9 to 8.7 on the same track... it basically boiled down to personal preference on where they wanted their gearing...but the motors all performed well with those gearings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.