Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

darnold, Were you using the new holes provided in the new flex plates or the original ones?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Man I love this car. Had the first carpet night of the season last week and using a slightly modified version of the box set-up, the car was wicked! I was running against another db12 with a 17.5 novak system in it(the guy was new but got exponentially better as the night went on), a gen x with a 17.5 in it and the other car was a 12l4 with a reedy 27 turn. I had no problems keeping up/passing in the infield but those damned brushless motors pulled the bejesus outta me on the straight. I cant wait to get my speedpassion lpf and hopefully i can get a t-bang 17.5. The new guy with the db12 was very impressed with the car, it took a little twisting and turning on a couple things but he eventually realized the potential of the car. There was a couple of crazy crashes and the car was as good as when it got there.
Jason, you will probably be getting an order from yoru canadian supporters in a little while. Hopefully you got the update kit in stock then.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

i just ordered mine cant wait to get it any tips or tricks for this car?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

I got to run the car today on the rug and it was very impressive. The traction was low so i went back to the standard flex plate mounting(short) to gain initial steering. Its nice to be able to go back and forth like that. The car instantly stood out. I wound up getting 2nd in a very close field of fast drivers. I was real happy with that. Leon was super fast and would have won the main if his electronics didnt shut down. He was the fastest car on the track. Im glad he was running the DB12RR also.

I TQ'ed and won the World GT class. The DB10R was an absolute missile. I ran the same set of tires all day(Lilac spec tires) With almost no wear.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Jason

Sounds as though you had a good day

Quick question, are the new longer thin flex plates available yet? I have ordered my conversion from Wim and really looking forward to getting it.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Jason,
YGPM
Old 11-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Jason,

With the Long Flex Plates try using the tweak screws, they bring back the steering and ygpm question for ya

Originally Posted by protc3
Hey Guys,

I got to run the car today on the rug and it was very impressive. The traction was low so i went back to the standard flex plate mounting(short) to gain initial steering. Its nice to be able to go back and forth like that. The car instantly stood out. I wound up getting 2nd in a very close field of fast drivers. I was real happy with that. Leon was super fast and would have won the main if his electronics didnt shut down. He was the fastest car on the track. Im glad he was running the DB12RR also.

I TQ'ed and won the World GT class. The DB10R was an absolute missile. I ran the same set of tires all day(Lilac spec tires) With almost no wear.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by terryh
Jason

Sounds as though you had a good day

Quick question, are the new longer thin flex plates available yet? I have ordered my conversion from Wim and really looking forward to getting it.
Hey buddy,

Yes, The new flex plates are avaialble
Old 11-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mike ivy
Hey Jason,

With the Long Flex Plates try using the tweak screws, they bring back the steering and ygpm question for ya
I will try that also. I can definately see the long position with no set screw being awesome in real high bite.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Jason ygpm
Old 11-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I've just finished building my car and am about to put the electrics in but I've noticed a slight tweak in that the front left tyre lifts of earlier than the right (using the coin trick) and when each tyre is lifted by hand the left side lifts with a lot less fight than the right making me think its the flex plates

I might see how it goes once the electrics are in because that'll change the balance but if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it

Originally Posted by ngo8
i just ordered mine cant wait to get it any tips or tricks for this car?
If you havent seen it already check out Mark Payne's blog (google it). There are heaps of build tips on there that are useful for the BMI. The kit goes together really nicely, the only issue I had was one of the damper tube pistons balooned a bit from the set screw and caused the piston to catch on the tube. A light sand fixed it up
Old 11-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
I've just finished building my car and am about to put the electrics in but I've noticed a slight tweak in that the front left tyre lifts of earlier than the right (using the coin trick) and when each tyre is lifted by hand the left side lifts with a lot less fight than the right making me think its the flex plates
Could be... My car feels tweaked when there is play in the pivot balls.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would also check the build of the front end, some people have trouble with the new symmetrical front arms building up evenly, might want to check there, some people have reported a .5 to almost 1mm difference in the way the lower arms build up left to right, make sure that is not it, check the axle heights left to right after assembled, you can shave the offending high arm a little lower, someone else might have a better solution...The othe dumb thing to check is, make sure you have the same rear axle spacer in left to right, and set the same, and that the rear axle is centered, check that your left hub is on the proper way, short shoulder in.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips. Everything at the back seems ok so I'll measure up the front when I get home. I read about the side to side inconsistencies on Mark Payne's blog but didnt really understand where to file until now
Old 11-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Another thing to check is to make sure you inserted the pivot balls in the lower arms properly. Remember the arms are symmetrical but the molded sockets end up facing different directions. The shoulders of the pivot balls must always face up when the arms are mounted on the chassis. If not, you may end up with the tweak and or ride height differences being experienced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.