R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Should old people with Skills be Forced out of Racing ROAR Masters. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/170706-should-old-people-skills-forced-out-racing-roar-masters.html)

McSmooth 07-03-2007 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest (Post 3451329)
540 Mabuchi, single motor, lipo, foam-tire E-Maxx

Provided YOU don't race in that class. You're way too fast for it.

You belong in Factory 540 Mabuchi, single motor, lipo, foam-tire E-Maxx.

Sandbagger.

CypressMidWest 07-03-2007 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by McSmooth (Post 3451345)
Provided YOU don't race in that class. You're way too fast for it.

You belong in Factory 540 Mabuchi, single motor, lipo, foam-tire E-Maxx.

Sandbagger.

In Factory we can run 3-cell Lipos up to 8000 mah, and we can run ANY pinion we want, but we are still limited to a 72 tooth spur gear, you only get to run the 70 tooth spur in UNLIMITED 540 Mabuchi, single motor, lipo, foam tire E-maxx.

1fastdude 07-03-2007 06:43 AM

Team CRC for Ian??????? What happened to SpeedMerchant??? What's the world coming to?

McSmooth 07-03-2007 06:46 AM

New age minimum for Masters:

Must be born on or before June 11, 1955.

:lol::D:ha:

Nova F1 Racer 07-03-2007 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by McSmooth (Post 3451486)
New age minimum for Masters:

Must be born on or before June 11, 1955.

:lol::D:ha:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I officialy qualify as an Old Fart!!!

But can we change the races to 4 minutes.... After that my mind tends to wander....... I think....:confused::confused:

CypressMidWest 07-03-2007 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 1fastdude (Post 3451478)
Team CRC for Ian??????? What happened to SpeedMerchant??? What's the world coming to?

Yup, we're teammates now, so start getting all those set-up notes out, I'm gonna need to look at those ;). It's gonna be fun working with Pulfer and all you other CRC drivers again.

or8ital 07-03-2007 08:00 AM

Dumb Question: was the masters class created to weed out the fast guys or give the "slower" older guys a place to race? The reason I ask is b/c locally its the "old guys" that whip up on us "young guys".

McSmooth 07-03-2007 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest (Post 3451570)
Yup, we're teammates now, so start getting all those set-up notes out, I'm gonna need to look at those ;). It's gonna be fun working with Pulfer and all you other CRC drivers again.

I fully expect to see you and your Gen-X participating at this year's Halloween Classic, good sir.

:nod:

tallyrc 07-03-2007 08:17 AM

i think the "real" point of the masters class if for guys that still think racing is FUN and wnt to keep it that way..

HarshGuy 07-03-2007 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by tallyrc (Post 3451675)
i think the "real" point of the masters class if for guys that still think racing is FUN and wnt to keep it that way..

Say Dat!!

gdcopbdcop 07-03-2007 09:53 AM

i will say what i have always said,,,i can:nod: take out tom, and harshguy, and jeff mauer everytime they pass me,,,if i can catch them,,,lolol

see you guys next weeek

Havoxx 07-03-2007 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Desolas (Post 3449631)
Some other threads have brought up the issues with sand bagging in our hobby. I've got another bone to pick: old people who can still drive dominating the masters class.

Should a 40+ year old be allowed to race masters if he continually dominates the field, has 2-5 lap advantage every race, and when he's at home racing against younger "kids" he's always winning? Or should they be pushed out until they start to suck a little?

If you were a 50 year old dude with some skill would you be real happy to find Barry Baker in your heat? Many of the Masters racing some of the ROAR events are full sponsored drivers who can still compete rather well in the open field....shouldn't they be forced to stay there?

Um, wouldn't that be illegal? :P age discrimination!!! Neighbor's in his 40's and he still owns me on the track :P

Desolas 07-03-2007 10:09 AM

Old people started age discrimination by not letting people under 55 move into their trailer parks.

Mr. Mxyzptlk 07-03-2007 10:15 AM

People can do whatever they want but, a whole room full of masters trophies doesn't equal one regular trophy.

People can continue to race the watered down classes and dominate, but they have to live with knowing that they avoided the real competition.

When I race I dont like winning only casue the fast guys arent racing my class.

1fastdude 07-03-2007 10:23 AM

What do you guys think "OLD" is anyway? :tire:

CypressMidWest 07-03-2007 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by McSmooth (Post 3451674)
I fully expect to see you and your Gen-X participating at this year's Halloween Classic, good sir.

:nod:

Very likely my friend..... very, very, likely.

DENNIS STORTI 07-03-2007 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=Mr. Mxyzptlk;3451965]People can do whatever they want but, a whole room full of masters trophies doesn't equal one regular trophy.

People can continue to race the watered down classes and dominate, but they have to live with knowing that they avoided the real competition.=QUOTE]

darn im getting older an was hoping i get to run masters in a weak era so maybe i can win lol:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

Mr. Mxyzptlk 07-03-2007 10:27 AM

I don't know what I consider old. Definatley not 40 or 50.

I think if someone is good enough to have sponsors they are good enough to race the regular classes.

CypressMidWest 07-03-2007 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Mxyzptlk (Post 3451965)
People can do whatever they want but, a whole room full of masters trophies doesn't equal one regular trophy.

People can continue to race the watered down classes and dominate, but they have to live with knowing that they avoided the real competition.

Actually there have been events where the top three in Masters were actually faster than the top 3 in STOCK!! Let's see, Eli Ezrow, Chuck Lonergan, Frank Calandra, Bob VanWagner, Skip Starkey, Jim Piersol, Tom Esposito. Damn you're right, no real competition there. :D

DENNIS STORTI 07-03-2007 10:32 AM

Mr. Mxyzptlk 07-03-2007 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest (Post 3451988)
Actually there have been events where the top three in Masters were actually faster than the top 3 in STOCK!! Let's see, Eli Ezrow, Chuck Lonergan, Frank Calandra, Bob VanWagner, Skip Starkey, Jim Piersol, Tom Esposito. Damn you're right, no real competition there. :D

Show me the results. I would bet you can't. And if that is the case then why are they racing the "Old Guy" class? I dont see Barry Bonds asking for a masters baseball class. At the age of 40 your body is not all shriveled up and deformed. There are probably 100 players in every sport including hockey that are over 40. Masters class is a cop out plain and simple. People would rather dominate masters than race for their trophy in stock.

or8ital 07-03-2007 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1fastdude (Post 3451979)

Junior. Everyone else is a young pup compared to him! :)

Wild Cherry 07-03-2007 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Mxyzptlk (Post 3451965)

You only have race and win a Master`s ,then say that....:nod:

Its not a watered down class and it has been part of the National program for decades as well..

Sterling Racer 07-03-2007 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Mxyzptlk (Post 3452001)
Show me the results. I would bet you can't. And if that is the case then why are they racing the "Old Guy" class? I dont see Barry Bonds asking for a masters baseball class. At the age of 40 your body is not all shriveled up and deformed. There are probably 100 players in every sport including hockey that are over 40. Masters class is a cop out plain and simple. People would rather dominate masters than race for their trophy in stock.

Ha Ha

RC on Steroids. Now that's funny

Never see the Nascar guys being told they can't run Busch series so why would it matter in the RC world?

CypressMidWest 07-03-2007 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Mxyzptlk (Post 3452001)

It's happened at the Indoor Champs, and the Nats a number of times, don't need to post results to prove it. A ton of people in this thread were there when it happened, and one of the recent posters was a guy that did it.

It's the truth, and I'm not defending the class because I run it, I've got quite a few years left before I get to that lofty plateau

vabroom 07-03-2007 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by BullFrog (Post 3451147)
Leave us old guys alone. Maybe you want a Super Masters class for over 55- I'll go for that. But I'll still be losing to the overall leader in our series and he's grey just like me.

I'll go for that, also. And when I turn 60, I want a Super Duper Masters class. :lol:

Mr. Mxyzptlk 07-03-2007 10:59 AM

I'm by no means saying anyone should be forced out of anything. It's your money spend it how you like. What I am saying is I WOULD NEVER race a class that I knew I would win every year just to get the trophy.

Oh and Cypress, without hard results your claims are pointless. Here's a little story for you. I'm golfing its starts to rain hard. We move to a shelter. A man pulls up in a cart by himself and my friend asks the guy how hes hitting the ball. That man says I eagled 2 holes of the first 10. I said, I eagle alot of holes when I golf myself too.

Picture this 20 years from now Tiger Woods is still at the top of his game, won 4 of the last 5 tournaments. Turns 50 years old. Does he move to the Senior tour. NO casue why move up and play something noone cares about when you can still compete with men at the top of their game.

Lets just make a class for every age so we can have 50 winners noone cares about.

1fastdude 07-03-2007 11:02 AM

Not sure what "Mr. Mxyzptlk" beef with Masters is and not really sure that I care! :flaming:I didn't create the class, just old enough to run it though. It's a real bitch when someone is good at something and some joker has to negate the talent! Oh well, carry on fellow racer. :D I'm sure when you get old enough, you may want in on the fun!

HarshGuy 07-03-2007 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 1fastdude (Post 3452085)
Not sure what "Mr. Mxyzptlk" beef with Masters is and not really sure that I care! :flaming:I didn't create the class, just old enough to run it though. It's a real bitch when someone is good at something and some joker has to negate the talent! Oh well, carry on fellow racer. :D I'm sure when you get old enough, you may want in on the fun!

Say Dat!!!

...are you running the paved nats?

Mr. Mxyzptlk 07-03-2007 11:31 AM

I have no problem with masters I actually think it's a great idea if used properly. Ya I know the age limit is the only real decider if you can run masters or not. But, another factor should be personal pride. I don't dislike the masters class at all. I dislike the people that only run masters casue they can win easily. Its an old school term called cherry picking. You dont see Professional card players entering your local firehall tournaments for 10 dollars casue a real competitor likes to play/race with the best not the people that you know you can beat with one eye closed. Its similar to "pro" racers running stock at a local level, whats the point. This is my last post on this subject its not worth my fingers getting sore over what I guess they themselves consider old farts.

Advil 07-03-2007 11:39 AM

:rolleyes: Too many have a sourpuss attitude about this stuff. No wonder we have trouble filling the ranks.

I truly believe this thread was meant as a joke. Take it like that and laugh with the rest of us....or not and prove my first sentence.

C_O_jones 07-03-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdude (Post 3451979)

"OLD" is when they pound that last nail in your coffin!
:D

1fastdude 07-03-2007 12:06 PM

:nod::ha::cry::lol::eek::tire::):blush::weird::lol ::lol::lol:

CypressMidWest 07-03-2007 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Mxyzptlk (Post 3452079)
I'm by no means saying anyone should be forced out of anything. It's your money spend it how you like. What I am saying is I WOULD NEVER race a class that I knew I would win every year just to get the trophy.

Oh and Cypress, without hard results your claims are pointless. Here's a little story for you. I'm golfing its starts to rain hard. We move to a shelter. A man pulls up in a cart by himself and my friend asks the guy how hes hitting the ball. That man says I eagled 2 holes of the first 10. I said, I eagle alot of holes when I golf myself too.

Picture this 20 years from now Tiger Woods is still at the top of his game, won 4 of the last 5 tournaments. Turns 50 years old. Does he move to the Senior tour. NO casue why move up and play something noone cares about when you can still compete with men at the top of their game.

Lets just make a class for every age so we can have 50 winners noone cares about.

Sorry I can't pull the results outta my @$$. I'm the guy who announced a few of those events, and distinctly remember stating that the Masters TQ was faster than the Stock TQ by three tenths at one of them. I guess it's possible I dreamed that though. How many big Carpet events have you been to in the last ten years? Enjoy your day....

John Warner 07-03-2007 01:18 PM

Yeah Ian... I second that!!

skypilot 07-03-2007 04:46 PM

at a local two day race here, my masters tq was faster then the stock tq, oh wait the stock tq was mine too.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

but that was years ago when i took the easy way out and raced off road......

oh i can feel it coming now.:lol::lol:

Desolas 07-03-2007 06:52 PM

Sandbagger!

Tell us about your GT3 wins too... :lol:

SteveL 07-03-2007 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest (Post 3451988)

Hmmmmmmmmmm....sure miss seeing my name in that list! Oh well, it happens when you get old and slow. Maybe a come back is in order? Will my 3300's be good enough for Cleveland?:lol:

Steve, turning 53 this month.................but still younger than Skip!:nod:

rchoudini 07-03-2007 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry (Post 3449865)
After care full thought.....

NOPE !
Let um race !!!!

George had a "care full thought"

skypilot 07-03-2007 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Desolas (Post 3453056)
Sandbagger!

Tell us about your GT3 wins too... :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: glad the first response understood the joke...:D