Wiki Posts
Search

Future of RC

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GCracker
dont bother with the boat its cheaper to rent, I have a 40ft Hunter and when I get the bill every month I feel like it would be easier to stand in a cold shower and tear up $100 bills..........
i hear that. my uncle has a 38 footer with 454's under the deck.. one ate up a rod bearing last week.. doh! he says his fish costs $100 per pound and $200 for a scenic day cruise.. i just want a little fish killer i can take the kids skiing in too.. maybe 17'
Old 06-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah, but, lets face it, racing is just too hard. All that time and money spent and your payoff is running a 6 or 15 minute main? And when you're not racing you have to marshall?

And unless you have major talent, you won't even get close to the front 'cause, lets face it, there are a few aces at just about every track. So basically, your role is to be the 20th entry so that the top 2-3 guys can say they were the best of 20 cars instead of the best of 5 cars that day.

Thats is what separates Racing from the stick and ball hobbies. Most people do not want to participate in anything where their chances of actually winning are very slim.

No wonder everyone gets out.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1fastdude
but I believe that we as racers are too diversified. :
Key Point.... Let's ALL agree...
Old 06-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Not so true.. I look at it this way.. Time makes anybody better.. There are many great drivers at any given track. Some yes are great right away. Some take there time and put in the laps and prepare there car better then get better. Eli got better with time now we cant beat him...LOL

Take Donny Lia, Went from local club racing , Put in many hrs of prep and practice in past year. What happened.. Roar National Champion.

All can improve with track time and car prep.... Not all can win every week with many good drivers, But effort results in results...
Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tbeardmore
Key Point.... Let's ALL agree...

Exactally... Lets all do that while we still have a hobby/sport...
Old 06-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hawk6
Great points.

So, instead of getting RC in front of the shopping mall crowd, we should be getting it out in front of the race fans, car lovers,... Have demos at local car shows, local races (maybe stadium truck dirt oval racing demo at your "real" local dirt track.
Why not both? The more the merrier.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Good points indeed. Can you imagine how much this hobby would expand if several popular NASCAR drivers started to race RC cars in their spare time? The sheep (I mean fans) would be all over it!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

i stand by the statements made in my signature.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I race because it's real. After working on a computer day and night all week, busting my ass to grow my business, it's easy to feel completely removed from the real world. My weekly trek across town to the track, and night in the heat racing with a bunch of cool, like-minded guys is the highlight of my week.

Are video games and computer stuff more easy, and sometimes more interesting? Yea. But I'm burned out and jaded after a lifetime of that stuff, and racing is like a little mini-vacation each week. It took me a long time to get to that point.

Those things are still new and exciting to kids. Getting them interested in something else is a challenge, and when it's something that's expensive, it's probably not even the best option in many cases.

Maybe we should stop targeting kids so much, and rather, target a slightly older crowd that might finally be getting tired of all the other distractions, and wants to do something real for a change.
I totally agree Syndr0me, 25+ yrs old is probably a more realistic target crowd. At SIR there is a Novice race class that can run any race night as long as 3 people show up, it's a class. I think the problem is regulating the class, sure I have an Xray, and expensive pit equipment, but track time is what will make me a better driver, not the equipment. I like the idea of a handout motor for novice as well as a spec tire, but I think there should be no limitations on chassis, not because I have an XRay but like I said earlier, track time not equipmet will make you a better driver.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lotta good points, here's what needs to happen.

More novice/stock classes. The RS4 is a decent starter car. If the price could drop closer to $130 for the RTR it would be a good price point. Likewise 1/10 needs to have something more competitive for the money. If Losi, Associated, or even Xray could have a good starter car it would sell, it would get it's own class, and it would make them bank.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leodis
Good points indeed. Can you imagine how much this hobby would expand if several popular NASCAR drivers started to race RC cars in their spare time? The sheep (I mean fans) would be all over it!
CustomWorks is owned by Tony Stewart, and I think he and some others run every once and a while, the problem is their schedule.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The first question I would like to ask is are we talking about the RC car hobby or are we talking about RC car racing?

Yes, there is a difference and a very big difference. The RC car hobby is about the cars. Who's looks better, who's is faster in a straight line, and who spent the most money.

RC car racing is about the racing. Going to the track, prep, practice, qualifying, and the mains. It's a completely different mindset. I consider myself a racer, so I know what to expect when I go to the track. Over the past few months I've met a few people who have good cars and good equipment, but don't want to race. They're intimidated by the seriousness of most racers, and they're just looking to have fun.

Think about this for a moment. At your average club race the doors open at 8:00 AM, practice is until 10, qualifying from 11 to 4 or 5, and the mains run unitl 7. That's eleven hours out of a Sunday! Most people cannot invest that kind of time to "having fun." And those of us who are married know what the wife is going to say.

All of the points about cost, the cars, the classes, and the technology are all valid but they deal with symptoms, not with the root problem. For RC racing to grow like it did in the past, there need to be fundemantal changes to the way we race.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default my thoughts

This topic has been kicked around for the last 5 years while attendance at local races has been dropping, and many tracks have been closing.

The comment that people don't want to do something they have little chance to win at is dead on, for existing racers. Especially when you factor in the cost of racing, practice, etc, and the other activities that compete for our time. There are good drivers at most tracks, and they usually win. Most of the time, the same people win week after week.

Instead of having some kind of handicap system (this is why golf is so popular, you can compete directly with pros when you factor in your handicap) all of the racers are thrown in together. And before someone says there are rookie classes, novice, pro, etc, you have to have enough people racing to fill the classes, otherwise, you have 1 or 2 classes. I think that only the most dedicated racers/hobbyists stick with r/c in the long run. Everyone else moves on. If you don't believe that, look at attendance over time at your local club. When something new comes along that promises to save r/c, attendance picks up, initially, then it drops again (touring cars, brushless, lipo, etc.)

RC competes not only with video games, sports, girls, etc for the young kids, but it also competes with hobbies such as fishing (mentioned earlier,) other forms of rc (planes, helicopters, etc,) and life for the adults. Many fathers come out to race with their kids, when the kids lose interest, often you lose the fathers also.

It's not hard to see why video games draw kids; you can play against others and you can play against the computer, always exciting. In rc cars, you compete against others in racing, and against the clock when practicing, not always exciting. In video games, the only expense is the game console and games. In r/c it is kits, parts, practice fees, gas money, etc, etc, etc. With video games, you can play at any time with no setup time required.

Racing R/C cars has always been a fringe hobby, and it will continue to be that. You cannot rely on bashers to save the racing part of the hobby because they are just that, bashers. But bashers keep the hobby alive. Bashers help the hobby store make money, help the mail order and internet places make money and keep the r/c manufacturers in business. Without them, most r/c companies would be out of business.

In the end, most of the middle of the pack people that stick with r/c stay with it because they like it, not because they are hell bent on winning. The problem is that when something else comes up (life, kids, etc,) r/c is put on the back burner and they stop coming to race, or race infrequently.

Brushless and lipo will help r/c in the short term, but in the long term, turnouts will stay where they are at most places, or drop. To grow, r/c has to attract many more new racers than it does now, not just people that will stick with racing, but people that will give it a try.

That's my rant. I will leave it up to people who have more vision than I do to save racing.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

I agree slower classes should attract new riders, at least it wont scare newbies. In our track, right now there are only 5 or 6 "experts" in open class, two years ago there were 60 racers in stock class. As we tried to make it faster, fewer people could step up. (bad thing, a lot of nitro guys right now). My point is there must be a cheap regulated class so that racing for starters could be easier, and the new advances in technology must be available at good prices. For example:

- good plastic chassis (fully tuneable but no hop ups)
- affordable spectrum
- reliable brushless combo (13.5 or 10.5 )
- lipo pack
- 20 minutes runs
- everybody the same tires (rubber) and inserts

everything under USD 300.

I know right now this is difficult, but it could really get new people.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyrc
there is no doubt that our hobby is eroding for a multitude of reasons. my buddy and i one night sat over some burgers and thought long and hard as to why.. we thought money.. we thought frustrations.. we thought personality conflicts... you name it we tried to pin it down.. when in the end we realized it's simply a matter of fun.. how you measure that is up to you.. all these things we thought might be the problems, only mattered if it wasn't enough FUN to get past the parts that did bother us... like this.. is the hobby expensive? yepp, but i usually enjoy myself that it is worth it.. do i get along with everyone all the time? nope, but 99% of the time i race with folks i proudly call friends.. do i get frustrated when things don't go right? you bet, but more often than not it beats mowing the lawn or changing diapers at home..

in august i'm likely moving back to florida and for what i spend racing my rc cars, i'll be able to buy a nice little boat to ski or fish from.. after having been in this hobby for some 20 or so years, i'll likely be decidng between the two based on what is more fun..
FYI: A boat is nothing more than a hole in the ocean you pour money into.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.