Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of RC

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

When a newcomer is introduced to R/C I think we naturally have the problem of their interpretations of the culture and scene. I believe most see an R/C race as a miniature version of what they see on TV - highly prized and highly complicated machines with extreme amounts of stress and competition between drivers. You have to be part of the scene to appreciate that most guys on any given Saturday are just out to get away from life's stress rather than to be come stressed racing. We never ever spend the entire day talking about R/C - most of it is about women, food, and stupid stuff just to allow us to let out some stream.

Also, when a newcomer see a guy with 3 motor checkers, 2 chargers, and more tools than he has in his garage, he assumes the only reason why this racer is present is because he has the status of this stuff. He probably wouldn't guess that this guy has been racing for a decade or more and has complied all of this stuff over time.

It takes a patient and dedicated person to get into R/C. No matter how much we try to make a easily accessible market, R/C is not going to be for the masses. Like many posts have stated, we live in an instant world - I'm happy to say R/C isn't like that - it takes time, patience, money, but most importantly the help of all of your racing friends.

I think as long of us promote the real point of R/C being friendship, having fun, and sharing a common bond while not on the 9-5 we can begin to grow.

Limiting the upper end of R/C racing isn't very effective but only hinders those who wish to go that high - if a newcomer can't see that racing at the club level isn't about trophies or winners circles or making fun of the guy next to you b/c he's .02 sec slower, he's missing the point. It's our job to change the mentality from what he sees on TV to what really goes on every weekend. - BS stories and laughs