Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Traxxas 4-Tec vs Tamiya tt-01r which handles better out of box? >

Traxxas 4-Tec vs Tamiya tt-01r which handles better out of box?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas 4-Tec vs Tamiya tt-01r which handles better out of box?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:40 PM
mhx
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Traxxas 4-Tec vs Tamiya tt-01r which handles better out of box?

which handles better out of box?

which is faster out of the box?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

n/m...thought you said TA05R
Old 06-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mhx

Nether

4Tec
Old 06-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhx

Agreed , they both suck, only the TRaxxas sucks more. The design is extremely dated borrowing loosely form the original hpi RS4 designs. IF you had to desid between the two go with the TT01r its a better more modern design car..

IF its price thats got you shopping down the traxxas road, consider what your planning to do with it, IF you never ever plan to race it dont matter, get the cheapest car u can find with the body you like and bash the thing. You would never appriciat the difference between a traxxas and a PRO level car in the parking lot doing drag races or donuts.. But if your planning to maybe race(i highly encourage u try) Look elsewhere there are affordable race worth cars to look at:
-Losi XXS-RTR
-Associated TC4 RTR
-Associated TC4 team or FT will likely go on price sale(TC5 is out)
-Xray T2r or a second hand T2
-Hotbodies Cyclone sport comes in RTR
-Tamiya TA05R is affordable and loosly based on there TRF car at least the drive train and such.

To be honest i would buy a used car before a new 4tec or tt01.

Hope this helps
Old 06-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

ONE more thing the term "faster out of the box" Is a marketing gimmick the RTR market uses to lure in new r/c enthusiast. Dont be fooled into buying something that has 40,50,60,70mph printed on the box.... Its only done with the RTR market. The pro level cars are cabable of the same and higher speeds. For instance an advertised traxxas 4tec nitro does 70mph with an engine that is 2 sizes or more over the current legal ROAR rules allow in nitro touring car. Still that box stock car wouldnt even get to that speed on a race track and pro level cars running smaller engines would eat the thing for breakfast.

There is nothing wrong with the RTR marketing but i find that new guys that want to go racing spend even more when they skip over kits for fast RTR only to find out the cars dont handle well or need there motors replaced to race legally at the club level.

And he if your absolutly in love with brand xyz doing 60 or 70mph go for it, im not knocking them persay,if you will never race and only play there perfect for that. I know i wont play with my pro level cars, but i do have a RTR i use for basing cuz its cheap and i dont care what happens to it
Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 AM
mhx
Tech Adept

Losi XXS-RTR, out of the box smokes my 2 choices above?

i really like this one.

I also like the HPI EVO RS4 RTR w/ roto start w/ 350z body.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:20 AM
mhx
Tech Adept

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA0287
is that the cheapest i can get it?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a TT-01 that is awesome for bashing. I tried to race it and...well...it is awesome for bashing!

I was curious about the 4-tec as well for another basher and was told that they are crap. I also have a TC3 and an Xray FK04 that are better suited for racing.

Personally, if you are looking for something that is not for racing, I would go with the TT-01. They are durable, the parts are easy to find and the bodies that Tamiya makes for them are very scale looking.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

You can definitely race them...and they do pretty well. They have a class for them in the Tamiya races (TCS) here in the states ("spec") and they kill the TL-01s...and over in Asia, they run them very competitively in GT2/GT3...or whatever they call those classes over there. I have one I ran in Spec and I was really surprised how well it handled, even on the spec tires (kit vinyl stuff, not rubber)

I'm not saying that it's cost-effective to race a TT-01 or that it'll smoke a pro-level car, but you shouldn't dismiss them out-of-hand that easily. They hardly have any bearings in the drivetrain, so if you set it up right, it can be very free.

They do take a beating, too...LOL...some kid was at SoCal one night and he bought a 10-turn and took it around the track on street tires. I can't tell you how many times he smacked it into the bricks at full speed before it stripped out a "kingpin" (aka: "screw"). We helped him get it running again just so he'd go out and run some more.

Originally Posted by needrcspeed
I have a TT-01 that is awesome for bashing. I tried to race it and...well...it is awesome for bashing!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Turbo Joe...you pointed out some very good values for the TT-01. I am sure that if it were set up properly, it could prove to be a competitive car. I kinda wish we had a class for them in Portland, Oregon. I would enjoy racing against some other TT-01's.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mhx
Losi XXS-RTR, out of the box smokes my 2 choices above?

i really like this one.

I also like the HPI EVO RS4 RTR w/ roto start w/ 350z body.

check out a race sereis a buddy of mine and I came up with for this summer. ITs based on the HPI EVO RS4 RTR. The key is cheap afforable tires, spec tires no hop ups, its been a great success. We went from no nitro racing for 3 years to over 20 guys signing up and buying cars 6months before the first race

http://users.xplornet.com/~jlagace/nitro/
Old 06-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That Losi you linked to is the brushless version, so no, they get cheaper.

HTML Code:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSA0285
Now the main difference you get is the brushless, of course has a brushless system. Its about the same as a 19t motor. More run time, little faster. Thats pretty much it as far as difference goes.

I now own both a XXX-S and a XXX-S brushless.

Now, thats a pretty good deal if you plan on going brushless AND not race. If you plan on racing, get the standard XXX-S and upgrade as you need. If you plan on bashing, its a good choice since brushless gives more run time, and much less maintenence than brushed motors.

Myself, I just picked up a XXX-S RTR package right here in these forums for 125.00 shipped. I might need to tear it down and clean it, maybe replace a few parts. But a heck of a deal. Plus I got a charger and batt packs to boot. Not worth anything for racing, but great basher packs.

Oh, and yes, the XXX-S smokes your choices out of the box. Another good thing about the XXX-S for bashing is it has a sealed drive train. So when you are cruising on a parking lot or a street, you wont pick up debris that can thrash your gears. I choose the XXX-S for just that reason. My local race club runs on a parking lot, and the guys with Xrays and such always have to worry about a pebble or grit in their gears getting in and messing things up.

Now, the Tamiya is also a lot of fun, I have a TL-01 I use for drifting, and they are tough cars. I ran Tamiya for years when I was a kid, bashing all around. Always easy to find parts for to. The TT-01R is a good kit, since the R means you get all the Tamiya upgrades included.

In the end, you need to decide what the car is for, bashing or racing. That will help with the choice. Plus, you point out the HPI EVO RS4, thats a nitro kit. You should decide if you want a nitro or a electric. The HPI Sprint 2 is the electric kit. And again, an open drive train.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:01 PM
mhx
Tech Adept

i ended up getting the HPI EVO for 309 at LHS. glow plug is charging up, so wont be until morning until she fires up