Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GM EVO 3 Brushless Motors

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default GM EVO 3 Brushless Motors

Has anyone got any experience of using these motors with the LRP sphere comp TC edition controller?

I've just received this as a replacement after my vortex was delivered faulty!

My main question is regarding the setting for the timing. In the manual it tells you to set the timing differently to the stock setting if using a LRP controller(stock is if using with the GM controller) - why is this?

Secondly it states if you are using the LRP controllers you must use the LRP sensor wire and not the one provided - Is this right, I thought these were compatible with all motors and speedos !

Cheers
Old 06-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Yes, i run this exact combination.

The motor is the same base motor as the Orion.

The timing should be changed as the manual tells you. I am not 100% sure of the reasons, but it is something to do with the speedcontrollers and the timing of how they work. You should also change the timing of the orion motor - but they don't tell you this.

Yeah use the LRP sonsor lead. The GM suplied one is slightly different on one end, and hence won't work. It's the same with the Orion motor.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I´m also running an EVO 3 with a LRP TC ESC. Works really good.
The LRP ESC is using higher timing so you have to reduce the timing of the GM motor. Just do it as with the instructions.
With the LRP ESC you really have to use a LRP sensor wire as the connector at the GM Genius ESC is different. The GM sensor wire doesn´t work on the LRP ESC for this reason. The sensor connector at the motor side is the same for both the GM and the LRP.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Many thanks for the info - that makes perfect sense ref timing. I was confused because as already mentioned above, I thought the GM and Vortex were pretty much the same motor but there was nothing in their manual about adjusting timing for LRP !