Community
Wiki Posts
Search

am radio and crystals.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Default am radio and crystals.

I have a rtr with a am radio. I dont plan on upgrading the radio this year but I need different crystals so I dont conflicts with other people cars. my brother told me that radio shack has xmod crystals with the 6 channels for $16.00 . My local hobby shops wants $7 per channel. So is there anything different about the xmods crystal they look the same?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Hello Jaysun, I don't know for sure if I understand you post correctly. But I think it is about crystals which are cheaper than the specific crystals for your transmitter.

That's right, and logical, most manufacturers of transmitters/receivers also make there own crystal (except for Synthesizer and Spectrum, but that's an other story). And the crystals of the manufacturer itself are (normally) better than crystal of another or "no" manufacturer. This is because the crystals of the manufacturer itself are specific calibrated for that brand of transmitter/receiver. So it is possible that with another brand of crystals the receiver/transmitter wont work properly, or that you will have lots of glitches. So I recommend to buy the manufacturers own crystals. Although they are more expensive. When having a glitch and breaking something you should already pay more money than without that glitch and the broken parts. Furthermore it is not a nice way to race when you know you've got a big chance of getting a glitch.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks thats a good point. Just being new tring not to over spend on certain parts. My budget is tight but sometimes being to cheap cost more.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

your welcome
Old 05-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Regular

For years I raced with a 27 AM Airtronics radio. I used verious brands of crystals, due to availability and need. I even used non-Airtronics recievers. I never had a problem. FM radios are different due a phase shift differences between manufacturers. AM technology has good spread between channels and rather tolerant; however there are alot of non-RC intereference. One example of mixing brands is that Futaba selles a module for 3PJ/K radios for 27 am use with small scale RTR RC vehicles. In this case you are using two different brand transmitters and recievers.