Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo or Tamiya??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default Yokomo or Tamiya??

Hey guys, really need some suggestions from all experts here... haha... I am driving TB01 currently, and thinking to get a better car, currently my choice are MR-4TC SD and Evo3 SE... any views on these 2 cars?

I am more prefer to shaft driven car, so u may skip all the belt driven... beside these 2 cars, any other suggestion?

Which car is more easier to get spare parts in Singapore and Malaysia (KL)?

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

yokomo mr4-tc-sd or alex racing barracuda or hpi pro4.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Parts support in Singapore and KL for the Yokomo SD is OK. You should be able to get spares quite easily for it.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

do u drive a cuda?... where in the PI can i get cheap parts for it?
Old 09-03-2003, 07:31 PM

if there were only 8 rc cars to chose from you would get 10 different anwsers. good luck.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

From what I've seen...I think you'll have better support for the Tamiya. Yes...I'm a bit partial to the Evo3 but if you go to the International forums section..the folks from Singapore have their own thread where you can post the question. Good luck
Old 09-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by ritchie
if there were only 8 rc cars to chose from you would get 10 different anwsers. good luck.
yah, actually both oso a good car, and honestly i more prefer the Evo3 Se... but the SD seems much cheaper and nice too, just wondering the spare parts support.... currently staying in singapore (moving back to Kl soon) and not hard for the parts in singapore, wonder is there any hobby shop in Kl hav support for yokomo parts....
Old 09-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm a Malaysian(KL),used to run the Evo III-standard.
u will have an ABSOLUTE nightmare trying to get parts in KL or further north.1st,there might not be parts to start with.2nd,expect 3-10 times of the RRP on the labels.
yokomo is another story.There is a distributor,and they are very well stocked.pricing is ok,compared to other well managed brands.
try having a look at the M'sian forum and u'll understand why it's not advisable to run an evo in KL.
As a tamiya fan myself,i would still prefer the Surikarn...hehe.
maybe u can stock up on spares and hope nothing breaks too soon.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

id most defintly go with the evo 3 se
Old 09-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Go for the one with lots of parts available in your local hobby shop, but for me, its still the 414mtoo! Evo4 maybe if they improved the 3se!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:45 PM

Yokomo!!!! If you want to break one-way gears every two runs get an Evo3. But if you don't......Yokomo!!!!!!!!

The Yok is a little more difficult to set up, but it has more overall steering, a more durable drive train, a freer drivetrain, and better race support. You may want to wait until December for the Yok SD CGM though (Tub version).
Old 09-04-2003, 05:53 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Haven't killed any one-way gears yet, even with BL power and kamikaze driving style...

(it all depends how you BUILD your e3!)
Old 09-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default Re: Yokomo or Tamiya??

Originally posted by blixelX
Hey guys, really need some suggestions from all experts here... haha... I am driving TB01 currently, and thinking to get a better car, currently my choice are MR-4TC SD and Evo3 SE... any views on these 2 cars?

I am more prefer to shaft driven car, so u may skip all the belt driven... beside these 2 cars, any other suggestion?

Which car is more easier to get spare parts in Singapore and Malaysia (KL)?

Thanks in advance...

I would go with the evoIII se......The yoke is a great car but I have talked to people and they are liking the tamiya better. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

Yokomo!!!! If you want to break one-way gears every two runs get an Evo3. But if you don't......Yokomo!!!!!!!!

The Yok is a little more difficult to set up, but it has more overall steering, a more durable drive train, a freer drivetrain, and better race support. You may want to wait until December for the Yok SD CGM though (Tub version).

LOL.you know NOTHING about the evo3.so dont doubt it.
the way i see it is the evo3 se is much more competive then the sd.
sd still brakes wishbones so if you dont want to replace wishbones every 2 runs go with the tamiya.if you do go with the brokomo!
also i race with a reedy 8 double with 1 way and have never stripped it.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:18 AM

Both great cars.. it is more on how precise you build and drive them. I've seen TB EVO3 stripped it gears everytime it hits even lightly, and I'm sure belive this is the example of unprecise build as other TB hit badly and still finish all runs for 2 days race.

Yok did have problem on those shaft being broken, but hey.. there are always hop ups to fix this and that. About the gears, I also seen it broke on every 2 runs. That might be another case of unprecise building.

As bevel gear concern, that's the problem you have to accept on ALL shaft drive cars.

As price concern, they both very expensive when it comes with all factory options installed. Yoks looks cheap, but to make it like TB EVO3 SE material specs, it might cost you more. They already releasing this and that things for the SD.

So staying to the topic, you should choose the one that its parts are widely and well supported in your area.