R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-10-2003, 11:29 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default driving techniques

hey everyoen....i haven't been to the track for...4 months maybe....or more.....and i just wanna know how everyone drives....do you tap drive? or what?
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:03 PM   #2
Tech Elite

I'll suggest you check out the thread called "Faster corner speed like pro".... There's plenty of good stuff in it.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:42 AM   #3
Tech Adept

tight and smooth.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 02:10 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by adrian
tight and smooth.
not what im trying to achieve...im asking how to achieve it...
Old 04-11-2003, 02:16 AM   #5
Tech Regular

it's called practice
fasterdanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 02:21 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

i saw that coming ....but i can't...
Old 04-11-2003, 03:01 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by davioh
i saw that coming ....but i can't...
Why can't you practice? They won't allow race day practice at your track?

Just remember, one crash can cost you a race if its close. So be smooth and all, but stay away fromt the boards, even if it means being at least 6 inches away from every corner dot. Also, the first time you go on the track, start real slow and bring up the pace very slowly. Half-way through, get behind a fast guy and trail him. If you can pass him, great. If you can keep up with him, still, very good. If you constantly are losing ground, then you need to focus on why that is. Most likely you need to focus on your driving, as opposed to your setup unless there is something that you feel is majorly wrong.

We can't tell you how to drive fast, you have to teach yourself how, but something to gauge yourself on makes it easier.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 03:39 AM   #8
sup
Tech Addict

i think davioh cant practice because of the SARS epidemic in HongKong.. lets just hope everything will be alright there..
davioh, how about getting the software/simulator for R/C cars.. i saw it at an add in radio control car action (i think..) goodluck!
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:06 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

yup sup is rite! i was going to go to EGR during easter...but looks like that idea is wipped out...
Old 04-11-2003, 04:33 AM   #10
Tech Elite

On this site theres a section about driving style and techniques.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:44 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Default Off track practice

davioh;

Try 'Real Race' by Duratrax. Many people swear by it for practicing on off track days. (it's on my to buy list too)
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:53 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

About "getting behind a fast guy and trying to hang with him"...

See my avatar? That's Dave Jun trying to "hang with me" Just kidding. During practice he slows down for us mortals and schools us every chance he gets.

I kind of find it disheartening when somebody I don't know tries to get racey with me during practice. I'm typically working on setups, scrubbing in tires, or finding the race line and when somebody waits and tries to follow me around, it usually screws me up. More often than not, I end up getting ramped or gaurdrailed. End results are usually a bent rim (this always happens while scrubbing in new tires) a tweaked car, or worse, a busted car

I don't mind it if drivers try to hang with you in practice, so long as they don't mess up the guy they are driving with. Of course this is different when you are practicing with you buddies, anything goes haha.

Of course, this is all assuming that I am fast hahaha which I'm not lol.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #13
Tech Adept

I can see where rtypec is coming from. A better way to do it is to watch the quick guys lines from up on the rostrum (if you can manage it). Then try it youself.
I have found that racing 27t stock really helps picking the lines and working on your corner speed. The first thing to do is to try and get the car set up so it understeers, only a bit, into corners. This means that if you overcook the entry and miss your braking point then the car is still controlable. Understeer is easy to catch just by using the throttle, so makes the car easier to drive. When you can hit the lines of the quick guys, then you can start to dial out the understeer gradually. You should then start to carry more and more corner speed and your lap times should start to come down. Once you are feeling confident that you are getting somewhere with a 27t then you can start to do the same thing with a hotter motor.

One final thing, never make any adjustments to your transmitter settings during this. 100% for everything, except end-points for the steering. This makes you sharpen your reactions and you can get a much better feel for what the chassis is doing. Even if you are up on the rostrum during a race, resist the temptation as you will gain a much better understanding of the chassis and you WILL go faster in the long run.
university_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:13 AM   #14
Tech Master

I didn't quite mean it as you put it, but I can obviously see how others could interpret it that way. Obviously my fault. I should have written that you are only kind of shadowing him, around a corner behind, not five feet behind. This in itself works on a skill that I believe to be the most difficult to acquire, the ability to look ahead and behind your car without messing up.

A practice session always has its natural spacing. People are always just "so far" away from each other. If you get to close, they either speed up or pull over and stop to let you past.

Also, I thought he wouldn't be able to get any practice rounds in the next time he went out to race, so I was thinking this would be the qualifier .
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:23 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Off track practice

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
davioh;

Try 'Real Race' by Duratrax. Many people swear by it for practicing on off track days. (it's on my to buy list too)
is it a book?