Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Bar being raised TOO fast?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Honestly, there are cars you can stick with. You can't go wrong with the RDX on carpet for example. Even with the new car coming out, it would have to be a lot better to make it a "manditory" switch.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've seen the fastest drivers at our local track run the newest Losi or an Xray, and then the next week run something like a TC3 or XXX-S. The result....the same. They win.

It aint the 'capability of winning' that keeps us buying the lastest and greatest, its the need to have the newest stuff on our part.

We can't blame the car companies for our issues. If we weren't buying, they'd stop making them so fast, and if we weren't willing to pay out the azz, then they wouldn't cost so much either.

Sometimes you just have to take responsibility for your own actions. And this situation with rapid fire touring car developement and production is one of those instances.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tamiya will be coming for your wallet one last time before you get that MI3 with the TRF-05 that's done up full boat like the 415's. Luke, don't go to the Darkside
Old 04-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

IMHO, many of the drivers that buy the car of the week, are the drivers who are trying to become faster, thinking they can shortcut their way to victory by buying the next new chassis. What these drives really need to do is just put in the hours of practice and testing needed at the track with the car. This process can take time. They need to get to know the car well enough so they can make the adjustments necessary to win in different track conditions.

I have an 415MSX, that was converted (2005) from a TRF415 (purchased 2004). The only reason I did the conversion was the new bulkhead design on the MSX conversion allowed easier access to the diffs. I am still running my MSX, have no intention of geting the MRE or MSXX. This car has all the capabilities to win, it's the driver that needs to be upgraded.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Ummm, these cars don't last three years, or even one year for that matter. These cars wear out, some quickly. Bulkheads get bent, ballcups get sloppy, all plastic parts get slop, axles wear out, the chassis tweaks, the list goes on and on. The price of a new car is sometimes the same or less than completely rebuilding your old car. So if your car has been driven every weekend for some time and a new car is out, it might just make more sense to buy that new car.

Before flaming just know I pay full price for everything, and yes I think this hobby is too expensive, but I don't blame the manufactures for giving us what we want.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patrick
Ummm, these cars don't last three years, or even one year for that matter. These cars wear out, some quickly. Bulkheads get bent, ballcups get sloppy, all plastic parts get slop, axles wear out, the chassis tweaks, the list goes on and on. The price of a new car is sometimes the same or less than completely rebuilding your old car. So if your car has been driven every weekend for some time and a new car is out, it might just make more sense to buy that new car.

Before flaming just know I pay full price for everything, and yes I think this hobby is too expensive, but I don't blame the manufactures for giving us what we want.
Those things can be replaced as you go along, though. It takes money to keep a chassis in good working order as parts wear, but if you let everything get so bad that a new car is the answer, there's a good chance you're not winning that many races to begin with. Every serious racer I've met is meticulous about their cars, and making sure they're always in proper working order.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Guys,

Just want to share the followings which was discussed in the TA05 thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...page=241&pp=30

Guys,

I do agree with Darkseid. If anyone is happy with an either TA05 or TA05R in stock, best to save $ by adding those bling bling Tamiya alum parts that are really expensive...

My view on the TA05MS:

- Wondering why was there a need for TA05MS after the recent launched of

1. TRF 415 MRE
2. TRF 415 MSXX
3. TA-05R

From these latest pics, we can clearly seen that the TA05MS is actually a production version of the Tamiya 30th anniversary car with bits of TRF415
MRE, MSXX retained.

Back to Darkseid comments:

There is no need to join the hype about TA05MS if you already a owner of the above chassis and you are happy with them because Tamiya need to come up new products every month to have you go out and slide that 'plastic card'...

What is Tamiya launching the following month after TA05MS? TA05TRF?

... then the following month TA05TRF MSX

... then TAO5 TRF MSXX???

hahaha

My $0.02 worth...
Old 04-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The SALESMANS Credo "There's a SUCKER Born every Minute"

the whole new TC every 6 months is pretty crazy.the changes seem to be cosmetic and gimic.
If GM or FORD or TOYOTA made 'the perfect car' why would anyone ever need to buy a new one? If nobody bought a new one...how would they make BILLIONS of dollars?

If ANY company (R/C or Non R/C related) makes a product that lasted for EVER...and had enough BLING to keep EVERYONE HAPPY FOR LIFE..the company would have NO FUTURE.

Ever buy a NEW Automobile? The salesman is YOUR BEST FRIEND - when trying to sell you on needing that NEW BIGGER BETTER MORE EXPENSIVE car than the one you want. YOU CAN AFFORD IT - IT'S JUST 23.00 a month MORE than the other car you wanted.

Like someone said below...

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE - and ask yourself this question before you buy the NEW product...

"HAVE I GOT 100% of the performance from THIS ITEM?"
Old 04-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

What is not being mentioned so far is that with all these new improved cars coming on the market there are a lot of one generation old cars being sold. I've seen T2's for $150. I'm a budget minded racer (3 kids) and these kinds of deals allow me to stay competative.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:14 AM
Tech Champion

You don't and never did need the lastet and greatest to be competitive. You need practice. Batteries are way better and the same for motors.With brushless coming that takes your time from messing with your motor out of the time in your pits.Chassis designs - i've seen too of the lastest they've made things easier for us to work on- less time ( Corally and Schumaker).Again you don't need the lastest and greatest. It's the way we always do things here- the hype I've got brand new "xyz" Chassis and the new batteries. It's in our blood that we want the latest- newest thing out there.I won this weekend driving my orginal protype brushless13.5 motor with one year old 4200IB batteries that I got to use in my R/C tank. Pulled them out of the tank and that's the only pack I used the entire weekend( three qualifiers and the A main).The chassis I used is the same one I've used since the RDX's came out.
But I too want the lastest and greatest- I'm getting an RDX Phi because of the new easy to work on features of the car.The batteries and motor are still going to be the same however.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

People are still competitive locally with TC3's, Pro4's etc. Thumbs make a much bigger difference than having the latest chassis.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by westerdude42
What is not being mentioned so far is that with all these new improved cars coming on the market there are a lot of one generation old cars being sold. I've seen T2's for $150. I'm a budget minded racer (3 kids) and these kinds of deals allow me to stay competative.
This is a great point - after the TRF415MRE came out late summer 2006, I don't know how many times I recommended that people pick up a used TRF415MSX ($200.00). This car is as good as it gets, and for $200.00, use the money you save for batteries and tires.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCSteve93
I think this hobby stays alive by raising the bar. If we were still running AM radios, NiCd's, fiberglass chassis, ETC... This hobby would have no appeal or be no fun. Even though if is expensive, it is fun and that is what matters. By the way, there is a guy at my track that runs a HPI Pro 1, and is half a second off of the fast guy's lap times. Then again, I race 1/12th scale...
yet you race a pancar which has virtually gone stale of development and you have fun i assume? i think the hobby would be more fun if costs were controlled to the point that more people could get into the hobby and stay i the hobby.... i don't think it's a coincidence that the hay-day of the hobby was when the cars cost less to buy, and run...
Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

I have to agree with BullFrog, having the latest and greatest dosent make you a better driver. What good is a $1000 chassis if you cant keep it on the track? I havent seen Corally mentioned here probably cause they are just now updating the RDX, wich has been out for at least 2 years. I am buying an Xray 007 Euro only because I havent bought a new chassis in 2 years, and I dont plan on shelling out another $500 anytime soon. IMO the big companies aren't even exploring the full potential of one chassis before the next one is realesed.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

wow, alot of great opinions, but some do stick out, for example, if you don't keep up with the "latest and greatest", parts for your old car will become far and few between.. Cost control, of course, as much as this will send alot of people into a frennzy, is 4 cells all THAT bad, well another thread has been started for that. The point I was trying to make by started this thread, is that there is room in this hobby for the manufactures to step back and take a look at whats been going on. Yes they have made stryds, however if we're having 5 - 6 year old cars ie: TC3 & XXXG still getting the job why are we in such a hurry to raise the bar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.