Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
So if you pit at every 10min while a nitro pits about every 5min, are you able to make up that difference in pit time on a 20 -30min main? Does the electric have an edge over nitro in speed coming in and coming out of the turns?
I doubt one could make up the difference, but it would mean fewer pit stops. The advantage to the electric is the smoothness of the power delivery and, more importantly, how quickly the car can accelerate from turn to turn in the infield

Aside from that, there's no tuning, no clutch to deal with, it's much cleaner and it's basically "plug and play!"
Old 04-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

SOOO SWEEET !

I would like to give that a try.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/8 scale electric on road car

Google Serpent Brushless 966-e, its the electric equivalent to the 966 gas car. Goes for about 600 bucks. Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 AM
wwoodruff

The Serpent conversion is nice, but the idea of 4 batteries and multiple y-connections, and all that wire turns me off. The conversion from East bay is much more to my liking! In fact add me to the list for his conversion if he ever manufactures it.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:49 AM
wwoodruff

Default 10 minutes is plenty!

It looks like your limited to a body with the cockpit bubble up front, how has that affected the handling? Are there many choices for bodies of that type?
I think everyone has the wrong idea about running the cars more than 10 minutes. Quick change batteries would add uneeded complexity, and the need for a receiver battery, right? It also requires a pit man !

Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wwoodruff
It looks like your limited to a body with the cockpit bubble up front, how has that affected the handling? Are there many choices for bodies of that type?
I think everyone has the wrong idea about running the cars more than 10 minutes. Quick change batteries would add uneeded complexity, and the need for a receiver battery, right? It also requires a pit man !
The body I'm running is the Protoform P909. It's been around for over a year now and many of the drivers at RAMS are running this body. I think handling is not an issue with the body.

There is no need for a receiver battery...the receiver and servo are powered by the LiPo pack with it's built in voltage regulator. I am doing the quick change battery right now so that I can run in a nitro main race to get the car exposed to the masses and boost the interest in the car. I have yet to run a main (30 minutes), but hope to in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

There have been some 966-e conversion kits showing on e-bay. The one I tracked for a bit went for just over $100 plus $32 shipping from Hong Kong. Maybe will some one in the states start selling them soon.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lee_123
There have been some 966-e conversion kits showing on e-bay. The one I tracked for a bit went for just over $100 plus $32 shipping from Hong Kong. Maybe will some one in the states start selling them soon.
Serpent America already has them instock, just need to order from your hobby shop or they can order from Serpent America.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by East Bay Pete
The body I'm running is the Protoform P909. It's been around for over a year now and many of the drivers at RAMS are running this body. I think handling is not an issue with the body.

There is no need for a receiver battery...the receiver and servo are powered by the LiPo pack with it's built in voltage regulator. I am doing the quick change battery right now so that I can run in a nitro main race to get the car exposed to the masses and boost the interest in the car. I have yet to run a main (30 minutes), but hope to in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted!
Pete, as always, well done...I totally missed all these post you did for over a month and glad to see your Kyosho is having a big step.

I am waiitng for my (2) 5000mah 45C 3S so I can start my Serpent 960e conversion. I will post pictures of my conversion once they are done, but I can tell you this, my conversion is alot more "HOME MADE" then yours...I care the less about the look, I only care about the actual performance, especially the speed, handling and last, run time, versus the NITRO version.

I have already talked to the Serpent driver Paul Ciccarello and will do a side by side nitro vs electric Serpent video, plus having him to run his own 966 and my 960e and compare lap times and see WHO actually has the edge on a 5-6 minutes run.

Of course, LIPO version will never be a 1 hour main event...but one small step at a time, we might actually see a new class coming, with cheaper investment and less tunning require.

ONE question...you are slowering the motor to 1400kv now...even with 6S, does the speed up to par version NITRO? Or you are gearing it very high to make up the speed? You already told us that motor and speedo were very cool after the run.....I have the same system but with 2050kv running stock 45/20 gearing, do you think that is too much?

I am also running the 4S application with the 966e conversion but with the Speed Passion Slotless system @ 2500kv....some 4S saddle packs that I still don't know which one to use.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Pete, as always, well done...I totally missed all these post you did for over a month and glad to see your Kyosho is having a big step.

I am waiitng for my (2) 5000mah 45C 3S so I can start my Serpent 960e conversion. I will post pictures of my conversion once they are done, but I can tell you this, my conversion is alot more "HOME MADE" then yours...I care the less about the look, I only care about the actual performance, especially the speed, handling and last, run time, versus the NITRO version.

I have already talked to the Serpent driver Paul Ciccarello and will do a side by side nitro vs electric Serpent video, plus having him to run his own 966 and my 960e and compare lap times and see WHO actually has the edge on a 5-6 minutes run.

Of course, LIPO version will never be a 1 hour main event...but one small step at a time, we might actually see a new class coming, with cheaper investment and less tunning require.

ONE question...you are slowering the motor to 1400kv now...even with 6S, does the speed up to par version NITRO? Or you are gearing it very high to make up the speed? You already told us that motor and speedo were very cool after the run.....I have the same system but with 2050kv running stock 45/20 gearing, do you think that is too much?

I am also running the 4S application with the 966e conversion but with the Speed Passion Slotless system @ 2500kv....some 4S saddle packs that I still don't know which one to use.

Hi, I also just recently picked up a 966e. Do you find that you are limited with 4S? I remember earlier in this thread that it seemed 4S was not the way to go for heat and current issues.

What I was planning on running in my 966e was:
-Lipo saddle pack (compatible with my B44)
-Castle 2650 motor.

Thanks,
Kosta
Old 05-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KostaG
Hi, I also just recently picked up a 966e. Do you find that you are limited with 4S? I remember earlier in this thread that it seemed 4S was not the way to go for heat and current issues.

What I was planning on running in my 966e was:
-Lipo saddle pack (compatible with my B44)
-Castle 2650 motor.

Thanks,
Kosta
Don't give up yet...go to the previous page and take a look at the video that I posted from the Japanese driver that used the 4S by Venom on his 966e and I personally think the speed is really up to par with the NITRO version. Probably not going to last too long (6-7 minutes top) but I think the 4S with 2650kv type of motor is working out pretty good.

I have another friend that is working on the Motonica 4S version running LRP 2500 system....will wait for his report.

The Serpent 966e kits only allow 4S saddle packs conversion. If you want to run 6S, you has to do some custom work in order to get that work. To be honest, I think 4S and 6S both work....if you are running 4S, you need the fast motor and you really going to WORK (squeeze) the batteries and the motor hard. If you are using 6S, you have to use a slower motor and let the extra voltage and WORK the slower motor/batteries hard.

I think both works fine...but if I have to choose 1, I will try 6S scheme first, simple because using the higher voltage, I can get to the speed that I want faster and it is more efficient on the speedo, motor and batteries...if using 4S, I have to squeeze out every drop of everything.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Don't give up yet...go to the previous page and take a look at the video that I posted from the Japanese driver that used the 4S by Venom on his 966e and I personally think the speed is really up to par with the NITRO version. Probably not going to last too long (6-7 minutes top) but I think the 4S with 2650kv type of motor is working out pretty good.

I have another friend that is working on the Motonica 4S version running LRP 2500 system....will wait for his report.

The Serpent 966e kits only allow 4S saddle packs conversion. If you want to run 6S, you has to do some custom work in order to get that work. To be honest, I think 4S and 6S both work....if you are running 4S, you need the fast motor and you really going to WORK (squeeze) the batteries and the motor hard. If you are using 6S, you have to use a slower motor and let the extra voltage and WORK the slower motor/batteries hard.

I think both works fine...but if I have to choose 1, I will try 6S scheme first, simple because using the higher voltage, I can get to the speed that I want faster and it is more efficient on the speedo, motor and batteries...if using 4S, I have to squeeze out every drop of everything.

My gut feeling from running 1/8 off-road electric says that 6S would be ideal for on-road because it's way more efficient. Lets hope that ROAR does not make up the choice for us like they did for off-road.

I am going to run 4S in my 966e (no choice), but am I also thinking of buying a conversion kit for my now idle Motonica P81. With this kit 6S is possible, although I worry about balance.

It would be easy once both cars are setup for a side by side comparison under the same exact conditions.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default motonica p81

just would like to share my project ... test run will be at greater la track this weekend
Attached Thumbnails Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-img_0183.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KostaG
My gut feeling from running 1/8 off-road electric says that 6S would be ideal for on-road because it's way more efficient. Lets hope that ROAR does not make up the choice for us like they did for off-road.

I am going to run 4S in my 966e (no choice), but am I also thinking of buying a conversion kit for my now idle Motonica P81. With this kit 6S is possible, although I worry about balance.

It would be easy once both cars are setup for a side by side comparison under the same exact conditions.
I doubt ROAR will do anything about this class....1/8th on road electric is FAR FAR AWAY from being OK to start....off road trans. and way different the on road, and off road race condition are totally different then on road, thats why off road is a lot easier to take off then on road and ROAR has to draw out their spec on it....

1/8th ON ROAD is still about centax, Lola bodies, pit mechanic coordination, 1 hours main...and most important, the SOUND of nitro engine. These are things that brushless can never replace.

However, it is not necessary the nitro version handle and run faster/better then the brushless version...that is something we are trying to find out.

About 6S is more efficent, yes, I believe that is ture. There are no limit about the voltage, but there is a limit about the KV on motors...it is all about BALANCE of the whole system. Like I said, I would prefer to run 6S with lower KV motor over the other way around.

You should try the Motonica version as well...that is basicly my version of my 960, except, mine is NOT the carbon fiber and never that fancy looking. The MOTONICA version, is definitely a possible version of "batteries after batteries" type of quick release design. Once the car is in the pit, the mechanic flipped the car over and pull out the batteries from the bottom, drop in the new packs and off to go. However, Motonica were still mounting the batteries with TAPE...if they can design a quick clip system that can pre-tape the batteries onto some kinda batteries mount and clip it over the TOP PLATE of the M81, that would be perfect.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bvalistic
just would like to share my project ... test run will be at greater la track this weekend
Awesome...my buddy got the exact same kits from Garen...can you possible do a VIDEO about the run..?

Looks like it is (2) 3S with RX8 system but running what KV motor..?

My Serpent is very similar to yours minus all the good looking carbon fiber...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.