Wiki Posts
Search

Lipos and brushless systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Lipos and brushless systems

There are a bunch of different lipo companies it seems like with different info.

What lipos have you used with success? Are MAXAMPS lipos quality enough for racing or just playing in the driveway?

Whats the requirements for the lipos discharge, burst and MAx?

is this lipo good enough for onroad AND offroad racing with a GTB7.5?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...=THP42002S2PPL
Old 03-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

You will need one in a hard case. IE Team Orion Platinum lipo or the TrakPower LIPO. Both are very good. I use the Trakpower with a GTB running a 3.5 and have had no issues whatsoever. I just leave the one pack in my car and chanrge after each race. Been using for 3 months without balancing or anything and its still running perfect
Old 03-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Default Lipos and brushless

mach51

Yes that battery will work ok.

The best packs out right now from thunder power are the extreme cells

A good pack would be a 2s 3850mah 7.4 that is a extreme cell.

When looking for a pack, it would be best to get one with atleast a 20C discharge rate.

The 2s 3850 from thunder power is a 25C cont 50C burst which means it can handle 96A cont and 192A burst.

Orion also makes excellent packs which are very close dementions of a NIMH pack.

The 3850maH pack is a little longer, a little shorter in height and pretty close in width.

Kyle Bergstrom
Old 03-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyle478
mach51

Yes that battery will work ok.

The best packs out right now from thunder power are the extreme cells

A good pack would be a 2s 3850mah 7.4 that is a extreme cell.

When looking for a pack, it would be best to get one with atleast a 20C discharge rate.

The 2s 3850 from thunder power is a 25C cont 50C burst which means it can handle 96A cont and 192A burst.

Orion also makes excellent packs which are very close dementions of a NIMH pack.

The 3850maH pack is a little longer, a little shorter in height and pretty close in width.

Kyle Bergstrom
thanks, so the specs on the lipo link i have listed above are likely not adequate for mod off road racing?
Maximum Continuous Discharge : 15C
Maximum Burst Discharge : 20C
Maximum Continuous Current : 63A
Old 03-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thunder Power eXtreme Series packs are made from the best cells in the world. It seems that Flight Power has the same cells.

Unfortunately, none of the eXtreme cells fits properly as a replacement for a 6s NiMH pack. I've asked TP to make a custom cell for this market, but they don't think the market is big enough to have a dedicated cell.

Right now, Thunder Power's best drop-in replacement is the Pro Lite 2s2p 4200 (as you already found). It'll be difficult to hold in place, though, and you'll have to add a ton of lead to balance the car.

The hard case is an interesting point. I don't have experience with lipos in r/c cars (local track doesn't allow them) to know if the case is worth the performance hit, cost, and highly limited product selection.

-Adam
Old 03-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been using a maxamps 6000 lipo pack in my T4 for several months now...recharge after every run...have had many hard landings and the battery is fine. Fits great too.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mach51
thanks, so the specs on the lipo link i have listed above are likely not adequate for mod off road racing?
A guy I race with has used a Max Amps 4000 (15C continuous) with mod off road and had a couple issues. One being the weight because it is so light he had to add a ton of weights and the other being it ran pretty hot because of it only being 15C. I would at least look for a lipo 20C or better. Also a higher capacity will help with the amp draw. Like noted earlier the 3850 at 25C will get you 96Amps continuous... likewise a 6000 at 20C will get you 120 Amp continuous. Reason I am using 6000 as an example is I use the Max Amps 6000 for both on and off road (it is only a 15C but their current cells are 20C). I don't run mod but have run 4300 brushless for some time with no issues and it is very close to the size of 4200 Nimhs and is a still lighter but not as drastic as some lower capacity packs.

Several at our track are running Lipos (5 with MaxAmps, 3 with Orions) and no one has had a battery issue over the last 6 months or so. Over that same time there have been 4 Nimh explosions. Charge them properly and run them... you'll love it.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have been using the maxamps 4400mah saddle pack for over half a year already first in a GTB 5.5r and now with a mamba max 7700kv with no issues. I am racing offroad 4WD, the pack is soft, the battery is light and it runs cool in 5 minute heat and mains. Been through plenty of crashes and everything is fine.

The battery is so light, I had to add weight to fix some handling issues, but other than that, everything is great. Lots of runtime and power and definitely ease of use. Once my last NIMH packs wear out, I will only run LIPO and just pray they legalize the batteries soon for ROAR races.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Hmmm, i still say get one in a hard case. Why take the risk?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pheyhoe
Hmmm, i still say get one in a hard case. Why take the risk?
there isnt much of one.

just be careful just like you would with anything else you care about.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I've run both types for over a year, this is my .02.
without a case on an outdoor track, the batteries take more abuse and the wireing suffers from it. With the orions, no real problem. I'm using the FMA scorpion chargers with special made plugs,for charging, because it balances the lipos every time it charges them. best setup I've found to date