R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default ESC

I am wondering about ESC's. I was told when I bought the one that I have that it really didn't matter as long as it could handle the motor that you were using. I have had other guys at the track tell me that that wasn't true. Can anyone shed some light on this subject, or give me a website that explains the ins and outs of ESC's? I am pretty new to RC and electric is even newer. Thanks in advance.
sheetmetal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are a lot of fine features on ESC's, like drive frequency, brake frequency, which you might vary depending on the winds of the motor (nothing I've gotten into, I just set mine for a stock motor), how fine of steps it moves in, and having drag brake and adjusting the amount of drag brake (very useful, if you need it). What kind do you have? What kind of racing are you involved in?
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Default esc

I have a tazer
Race stock sedan carpet
Old 03-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Tech Addict

I've not heard of a tazar esc. I'm using Novak escs. I don't use any drag brake for my carpet sedan. It slows pretty quickly when I let off the throttle. I found I do need drag brake on my 1/10 pan car on a tight road course. Otherwise I have to let off the throttle too early on the straights, the car seems to coast otherwise and I need to scuff off some speed before the turn.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Tech Adept

tazer is made by dynamite
Old 03-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Tech Regular

To be honest, I've never noticed much difference between different speed controllers. As long as it can handle the wind it's fine with me. I'd much rather spend my money on a better radio or servo which is far more important to me.
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Default esc

That is kind of what I am wanting to know. If a better more expensive ESC will make the car faster well then to me it is a no brainer. I have along way to go and figure that at this point money is better spent in other areas.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
Tech Addict

I always put things in order of priority based on what type of racing and what your expectations are.
if your serious about racing or even semi serious
1) a high qaulity radio is the first thing you should invest in this item should be purchased based on the fact that you should not have to buy another radio as you progress up the ladder skill wise.
2) a high qaulity ESC that has user replacable wires and the reason I like an ESC to have user repacable wires is you may want to use it in a different car at some point and if you have trimmed the wires then you can replace them and trim them for a different car.
I feel these are the two foremost items that you should get the best that you can afford as they will be the two items that you would use at all levels and wont need to replace as you progress in racing levels and skill.
You dont need the best car to start out with but a good qaulity car is advised and more important car that has good product support from your LHS.
batteries again you dont need the best matched cells to get started as over time battery tech changes and as a beginner you wont need the benefits of the best batteries and batteries do have a shelf life and when you are ready for the next level you would more then likely be ready for new batts and that would be the time for the better cells.
Jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote