Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spool vs Diff vs One-Way

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How do you pack the grease into the one way? coating the out drive cup with diff grease?

Tried spool and diff... sometimes it pushes and sometimes it pulls.. just not very consistent.. going back to give one way one more try this coming club meet.

thanks,

~Ming
Old 02-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Hey Ming.. What I do is remove out drives, Use thin long allen wrench and coat 1 way bearings with Losi grease thicker type. Then coat outdrives same and install. Doing this allowed to run 1 way with very aggressive driving style,sorta like foams and diff. Reall calms down the 1 way action and still has that 1 way power and feel for great steering. I know many that tried it and liked it.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

dam carnt get the losi grease in the uk anyone got an alternative?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the tip Tag...

Don't have the losi grease on hand right now, maybe I will try the AE green slime grease.. That thing is quite thick!!

~Ming
Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aoizip
Thanks for the tip Tag...

Don't have the losi grease on hand right now, maybe I will try the AE green slime grease.. That thing is quite thick!!

~Ming
Not as thick as the Losi Brown grease that I believe John is talking about.

Later,
Old 02-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John Tag
Hey Ming.. What I do is remove out drives, Use thin long allen wrench and coat 1 way bearings with Losi grease thicker type. Then coat outdrives same and install. Doing this allowed to run 1 way with very aggressive driving style,sorta like foams and diff. Reall calms down the 1 way action and still has that 1 way power and feel for great steering. I know many that tried it and liked it.
BTW, using grease on the T2'007 layshaft one-way bearings works well too.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Very interesting info here on calming down one-ways.

Thanks and keep the info coming,
Old 02-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

A friend of mine recommended the same thing with packing grease into the one-way. Haven't tried it, but he highly recommended doing it.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

I was driving front diff for over a full year since 2005. Yesterday is my first attempt on front 1way since than..... I simply dont know how to drive 1way car, and how to set it up anymore. Spin out in corner entry all the time.

I guess it's depend on how you drive and what you used to. I know some who simply can't drive 1way. So just give each a try and see which one you like.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

I have always used a one-way when racing stock, but now, racing modified, spool's becoming more and more attractive to all drivers here in germany.

We race rubber tires on carpet and most of the drivers prefer spool over the one-way simply because you are able to brake, when fighting against another driver and spool is easier to drive.
It isn't slower on most tracks. You just have to know when and how to use brakes.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but looking for an answer to handling differences.

Which diff is usually best for a wide open asphalt track? One-way or spool, or standard diff?

Currently, I'm using a one-way and it works well, but entering high speed corner it will try and spin out since only the rear end has braking, so I have to coast into most of the corners.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tubaboy
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but looking for an answer to handling differences.

Which diff is usually best for a wide open asphalt track? One-way or spool, or standard diff?

Currently, I'm using a one-way and it works well, but entering high speed corner it will try and spin out since only the rear end has braking, so I have to coast into most of the corners.

Thanks,
Paul
For a track like you described you will want to run a spool.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

oneways are pretty much useless these days with the introduction of spool. Don't know why some kits still offer that out of the box. There are theories that oneways/center oneways give better top end since it absorbs F/R driveline differences. But 1 mph is not going to outweigh the advantage of stability you get from a spool/ball diff.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

K Thanks. My car is a used XXX-S that I got last summer and started racing this summer. I'm new to the whole on-road thing and still figuring it all out. Next hobby order, I'll snag a Spool Diff and give that a shot.

Eventually I plan on upgrading to a TC5 but that will probably happen this winter at the earliest.

Paul
Old 07-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used to run 1-ways all the time in stock until I switched to a 13.5. With all the torque from a BL the 1-way was un-managable on pavement. On carpet 1-ways were a little better but I did not feel as aggressive than I did with a spool. Gotta love 4 wheel breaking.

The only place I run a double 1-way now is with a mabuchi/johnson motor setup.

As far as a front diff, I would not suggest it especially with a BL. I had to learn that the hard way, the front diff loostened up during a race, started slipping, then burned up, the rear diff then started acting like a rwd car started slipping and it was smoked too. Never had that happen before, but with the torque of the new motors, you are better off with a spool/diff setup.

I never tried the 1-way grease packing technique... sounds like something interesting to try....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.