Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-Assembling Stick Packs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Lightbulb Re-Assembling Stick Packs

What is the easiest and most effiecient way of dissambelling and re-assmebling the stick packs into a "saddle pack" (or wire them in series, not in a pack)?

I am doing this becuase I want more effecient batteries, and I have to tape down my stick packs into my Losi xxx-s EVERY time I race. Otherwise they fall out of the chassis while I am racing!!

I was thinking of taking apart the stick packs down to the last wire and battery bar. I have heard that the stick packs have more resistence becuase they have been dissambled poorly, but I am mainly doing this so I will never have to tape the packs in again.

If possible can someone give me a link to an article of how to do this (w/ pictures?)? Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Sometimes it isn't posible to disassamble stickpack without damaging them!.
Some cells are welded together directly while some have a metal strip between them.
if you have one of these (with the strips) use a pair of plaiers and gentaly try to remove the strip from the battery.
Sand the surfices and use some battery braces to solder them together.
IF YOU PULL TO HARD YOU CAN DAMAGE THE CELL!!!!!!

It's better to buy some cells and make side by side packs from there.

-Whacky.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:12 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

kevanB I wouldn't take the stick pack apart for one reason..Stick battery aren't match battery and they are battery power for bashing around in your back yard..Loose battery or match battery pack are use for competiton ,I would sell the stick battery and buy good used match pack or get the pro-match racing battery,
Old 03-15-2003, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re-Assembling Stick Packs

KevanB;

It's no problem disassembling stick packs. Just carefully cut the shrink wrap off and pull the end caps. The batteries are normally held together by thin strips of tin that can be pulled off the bettery ends. Just need to smooth down the spot welds after with a Dremel or file or something.
Obviously you will need a Soldering Iron and some Battery Bars to rebuilt the pack into a different configuration.

Now the main problem is that more than likely, your stick packs are made from UN-Matched cells (as OVA suggests) and the time and effort for the change is probably just not worth it. (I know from personal experience)
Better to find out why the packs are falling out. Seems like your missing something to keep the packs in the Chassis securely. I believe that the XXXS RTR uses stick packs so look there for the answer.

Good luck,
Old 03-15-2003, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

Well, it only happens when I corner at high speeds, and only while racing. ALL my stick packs have fallen out. And I already have put lots of foam tape under neath the battery holder. It just seems the plastic holder doesnt hold the packs down hard enough.
Another racer has had the same problems, but ended up buying a replacement part so that the battery holder was secured down by screws instead of body clips.

Is there any other way to hold the packs down better?
Old 03-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

If you decide to disassemble the packs make sure you have some single cell shrink wrap, because a lot of the time the cells dont have any individual insulation on them, they are just stuck in a pair of cardboard tubes. I honestly dont think taking the packs apart is too bad. Its not like it takes too much money, you can do a whole pack for a few bucks worth of battery bars. The packs might even pick up a little punch when you reassemble them due to lower resistance, but it will still be far from matched packs.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Default KevanB;

Have you tried looking for the answer of your packs falling out in the XXXS Thread?? Might already be waiting there for you.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Huh where?
Old 03-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Lightbulb Knock, knock..

Click HERE > XXXS Thread

Last edited by popsracer; 03-16-2003 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

Well I already checked and searched the whooooole thread and forums! And i found nothing! Oh wells I just made a post in the xxx-s forum.