Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Maxiumum Voltage out of 2400's

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

Default Getting Maxiumum Voltage out of 2400's

I've got a big race upcoming this weekend and am looking to get the most punch out of my batteries for stock racing as I can. I have a T35 charger. I have been charging my 2400's at 6-8 amps recently with a .08 peak detection They have been giving me fairly decent punch, but I am wondering if I can get more?

Will charging at 10 or possibly 12 amps make a big difference in punch? I am aware that this is not good for the packs, but the packs are getting old and I want to get all I can out of them for this weekend.

Would going to a 0.09 peak detection be too high? Does anyone know of a maximum temperature the pack should reach when charging?

Also, should I try to time it so that my pack finishes charging right before my race with only 1 peak charge? Or should I charge it, and then repeak it right before? I have heard that after the pack finishes charging and sits and starts to lose heat, the voltage drops and the IR increases, is this true? If so, does the IR increasing cause a drop in punch or runtime?

Sorry for the length.

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 03-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

If you want your battery to perforn better, try discharging at 20A or if possible 30A which are better than <15. Charging at 6A is right on the money, also try setting your peak detection to 20mv per pack. And yes if your charge finishes just before your race GREAT! if not peak it just before but its better for the charge to finish as close as possible to your race!! I dont think nicds would handle a 10+A charge to well, but you can peak it at 10 and that will give you some punch, if you charge at 6 with 20mv per pack just stick a fan on it and your set!!!
Old 03-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Default Getting Maxiumum Voltage out of 2400's

Impreza;

I agree with 'alfa' about the charging/discharging rates. Increase the threshold on your charger to the MAX allowed for NiCd's. Re-peak several times if needed to keep the pack warm. This helps reduce the IR of the pack and provides more punch, especially with NiMh's.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

The smaller the voltage drop at the and from the charge, the more punch you will have.
Example 0.03v peak detection you will have more punch that 0.09v but with the last one you will get more run time.
NiCD battery's can take a lot of abuse. When I got handout battery's at the Tamiya European Finals, I charge them at 10 Amps. This is not good for the battery's though.
Try to have them full at the right moment (just before the race) so they are still hot. The more you repeak when your battery is warm the less punch, more run time it will have. So it is O.K. to repeak if your battery is cold but NOT when it is still hot becouse youl lose punch.