Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let me pick your brain ex-tc3ers

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Tech Adept

Let me pick your brain ex-tc3ers

seems like everyone is an ex tc3 driver so I am asking you for help.
I bought two tc3s from a buddy and I have heard of a ntc3 steering mod I want to know how to do this. Is there really any benefit? Is it just bolt on with some grinding or are there new holes to be drilled? or can I use tc4 steering? I know what you are thinking, buy a new car, well i am kind of waiting for tc5 so if i could get some help for now it would be greatly appriciated.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://tpjexelby.tripod.com/NitroRackPics.htm

Tim shows you the right way to install the nitro tc3 steering rack into a tc3.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If you want consistent steering angles, I heard this mod doesn't get the job done. If I were you, stick with the rack, keep it clean including the bushings, and wait ever so patiently until the TC5 comes out within the next 10 years
Old 01-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Agreed... with the exception of waiting for the TC5

Originally Posted by Dane
If you want consistent steering angles, I heard this mod doesn't get the job done. If I were you, stick with the rack, keep it clean including the bushings, and wait ever so patiently until the TC5 comes out within the next 10 years
Old 01-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

if you're going to drill the chassis to mod the steerin you might as well get the TC4 steering rack which is based off the NTC3...
Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just an FYI, the TC3 is still a bad ass car, in fact, there were two or three in the A-main at the Novak race.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The TC3 steering rack is one of the reasons that car was so good and why the TC4 had a horrible push IMO.

Like Dane said, Keep it clean and adjusted properly and it is great. Use the stock bushings, don't use bearings. For some reason the bearings cause the rack to bind.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:07 AM
JL
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you look on the associated website there's a template for a steering rack cover that you can make with scrap lexan from bodyshells.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

sweet thanks guys the info is great keep whatever GOOD mod ideas you have coming. Oh and the car is bad ass, no doubt. The steering just felt a litte sloppy and the tc4 felt nice and tight. But from you guys sound like it just needs some maintence. Thanks again and any further info will be appriciated.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Shimming the diffs correctly (maybe taking a bit out of the inside of the diff housing where the bearings sit) and changing the front shock tower to a rear shock tower makes the best improvement IMO on the tc3

If the guy you got it off ran the car though he will of most probably already done the things above as I think most did
Old 01-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Besides keeping everything clean and in good repair, check out an article that RCCA did a couple years back in the Special Touring Edition issue. It lays out pretty well how to "blueprint" the TC3 transmission. It's probably the best thing I've done to the car.

Also, if you have rubber seals on the bearings, remove at least one side to free your transmission further. This might be stated in the article mentioned above.

Freeing up the transmission and keeping everything maintained is the best way to improve your TC3.

Hope this help and enjoy.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

nope tc3 is bone stock i went to local track and got some idea the rear shock tower on and the two hole front a arms. Aslo someone mentioned using losi hub carriers for durability.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ruinn
nope tc3 is bone stock i went to local track and got some idea the rear shock tower on and the two hole front a arms. also someone mentioned using losi hub carriers for durability.
Yeah you can use them although I never saw a need for them running the TC3 for 4 years.

I bet you'll be coming back for setup help so I'll give you an answer now - check out www.rc10.com where team drivers have posted their setups based on surface and other parameters. Start there.