Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

use the offset balls to change the wheelbase? i dont think this would make a big difference maybe a couple millimeters at most and i dont think anyone under a pro driver would notice much
Old 04-27-2004, 03:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by R/C Anonymous
use the offset balls to change the wheelbase? i dont think this would make a big difference maybe a couple millimeters at most and i dont think anyone under a pro driver would notice much
Ain't we all pro ????

Nah i'm with you here, Change the tow-in by 2deg and i think we'd all notice it.Change the wheelbase by 2mm and i think everyone on the forum would find it hard to tell the difference ??
Old 04-27-2004, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Never actualy thought of using the offset balls to change wheelbase, I suppose it's a mall thing that you can try if you're desperate, or have a set of wheels that make your car too wide for the rules.

My local club ran an endurance race yesterday for a bit of fun on our last night indoors, 1.5hours and four team members. My Cuda had a bit of strength testing in the practise.... I was going around quite nicely when all of a sudden I had a head on crash at almost full speed for both cars the other silly driver had turned the wrong way out of the pits My car died straight away and I was certainly worried, it must of been like a 40mph crash into a wall. The car itself was fine apart from the foam bumper being split around the body mount holes as it had been pushed back towards the bulkheads. The body shell is a bit torn around one body post but isn't too bad. The worst damage was done to my cells, the Xenon battery tape snapped (and this tape is tough) and the end cell came away from the rest, just needs resoldering.
The other car was a corrally assassin, it wasn't broken either, but his cells had moved under the tightly screwed down battery strap and bent the whole chassis
I'm probably lucky it was a head on crash, a more of a glancing blow woulf of ripped parts off both cars.
My car ran fine for the rest of the night and with well over 300 laps my team won the event by 5 laps

I keep seeing people putting big plastic bumpers on their cars and the idea seems stupid to me, you should let the foam do it's job and absorb the impact. You just need the right kind of foam, like the Cuda's fairly rigid stuff. A plastic bumper woulf of probably been ripped from it's mountings, something the happened a couple of times when I was driving a Sport 2 and learning to drive, one time the plastic bumper then got forced back into the front shock and broke the shock shaft.

Picking up my new 3PK later today I was hoping to get to use it yesterday but the Royal Mail was slow so I'll have to try and get to another club later this week for a bit of practise, otherwise it's first use will be on Sunday at the first SMTCA event
Old 04-27-2004, 04:38 AM
Tech Adept

Herminator,

God to hear your Cuda survived the crash Tough little buggers arn't they

I'm using the tool that came with "Titanium Quick Change Shock Posts.." it thin at and a perfect fit for the offset ball's, makes it easy to hold them in the right place when thightning the screws.

Keep up the race posts.. and if you find the time please also post your setup from the outdoor season.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Had a side crash once with my R3...was about to turn when a moron overshoot the corner without breaking (wonder what went thru his head). My R3 flew as it was scooped from the line into the air, sommersaulted a few times until lying motionless upside down 4-5 meters away. As shocking as the crash to me, the R3 survived with only scratches on the bod (way the go R3!). Battery still in place, xenon strap as well (way the go Xenon!).
But dang I was a bit frustrated as my electronics went haywire.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:52 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

merciless I don't know where you race out or in door ?
I know it will make a difference in the carpet... a small edge change will add up to get you there... I made my car a little longer wheel base in the front and it make the car more stable ...I've eight off set ball in my R2
If you practice alot with the same set up and make a small change and you will see the lap time change

Last edited by OVA; 04-27-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You have to be careful with the offset pillow balls though. You can't just turn them any way you want to get width or wheelbase because you will bind up the suspension movement if they do not line up with the natural position of the arms. I use the the adjustable ones because they are stronger than the stock ones (stock ones will bend just slightly in a hard wheel to wall impact and bind your suspension). Sometimes also have you guys noticed if you put a brand new arm on with the stock pillows that one arm may bind slightly? That indicates the arm mold doesn't line up perfectly to the chassis. That's when the adjustable pillows come in handy because you can rotate one ball until the arm lines up perfectly and then the suspension becomes smooth and free.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

If you really want the option to change the wheel base think on this........
take the stock rear hubs and either file or mill 1mm off either side where the hinge pin goes through. Then you can put 1mm teflon spacers either side to give you stock wheel base or change them around to shorten or lengthen as required ala TC3. Simple and quite easy to do

Recovered after weekend of racing then having to work 2 night shifts
Ran in the National stock champs at West London and the car was on rails. After 1st round of qualifying was sitting 3rd overall, big problem was the next two rounds were written off by interferance so qualified 14th with my round 1 time.
Finals were good, got taken of the track twice at the start of the first final and drove past nearly everyone to get from 10th up to 3rd!! Placed second in the second final with a time that would have put me 3rd in the A final!! So second overall in the B main...and a story of what might have been!! 3rd in the A was definately on the cards...needed to tidy the driving up a bit to get 1st and 2nd, but hey theres next time!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

nice1 gaz im hoping for a good day on sunday at the smtca, are you gona go to any of the smtca events gaz? theres a meeting in carlisle and in durham think they are about the closest to you.
I also think that wheelbase is quite a good setup change to make ti fine tune your settings
Old 04-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

I know exactly how you feel Gaz, a big race comes up and you're left with the could of, would of, should of, feeling. Last year I had it plenty of times, often due to interference too
It's so annoying when the problems not even your fault and you can't fix it easily.

Hopefully this Sunday won't be as bad as last year at the same track, I basicly had to give up due to interference so didn't score any points at all.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
A slightly used one.
Your name isn't brandon is it?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:31 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Gazza Yes that's another option the I would do to shorter or longer wheel base
Old 04-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
Your name isn't brandon is it?
Ya, are you Greg?
Old 04-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
Ya, are you Greg?
yep that's me! cuda went out today... you should get it by friday since i sent it priority. i'll pm you the delivery confirmation number.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
yep that's me! cuda went out today... you should get it by friday since i sent it priority. i'll pm you the delivery confirmation number.
Sweet. Can't wait to get it together. I should have it together to race sunday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.