Search
Like Tree5Likes

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 12:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of report on my race day this past Tuesday at SoCal. I've been busy working on bringing in the second shipment of kits and parts.

Okay, so here goes: I considered this my first official race with the car, since the first race was just one off (I jumped into a 19T main at a parking lot track without qualifying) and the second attempt which was at NORRCA state champ where I broke the car during practice (and I got no spares with me)

I got to the track with the same identical setup from state champ (which was Yokomo pink springs all around, and 45 weight oil all around) which worked well at the bigger, higher banking Bakersfield track, but after 1 run of practice, I realize the car was setup too stiff. Keep in mind guys, this is the first time I've been to SoCal in two years...so it's been a looooong time. so I went back to the pits to make some changes.

after practice, I switched to a softer setup all around (Yokomo Yellow springs) in hopes of making the car transition better through the infield. The car's stock long arm setup theortically is not made for the tight twisty SoCal track (on Tuesday, the track had no straight aways....all turns and short shoots). But even with the long arm, my "cuda" was able to hold some of the tightest line around the track. I think I can go even a step softer (going back to the kit included black springs) and I think that would be even better than the Yokomo yellow.

I decided to sign up for pro-stock (even with my two years of absent from the track) because I really want to see how this car work on its only 5th run against some of the well tuned cars out there that's been running at the track on a regular basis. SoCal houses some of the best racers around California...some of the guys that runs in pro-stock are Reedy, National and Regional A-main folks...so competition is real tight!

1st round of qualifying: I actually got off to a good start and was running in third right with the rest of the guys. I was actually very surprised to find myself in that position...but I was gauging myself with the cars in front and behind and I was right on pace. Then...it happened...I clip a dot, hopping the front end a bit...lost a position...coming around another lap, I clip the same dot (must be set in my memory or something), another lap around, this time I rolled the car...on the same dot (at this point I was just disgusted with myself) and up against these guys if you roll it, you are basically almost one lap down (a good lap is mid 12 seconds)

2nd round: I thought I had over geared in the first round (I was running a 6.9 final on my monster stock) while most guys are telling me they are running 7.2-7.5! (hard to believe those are almost modified motor ratios). None the less, I'm new, so I listen to the locals and got a 7.2 ratio on there...2nd round I was definitely not as fast as the 1st round, but I made no mistake,so the 2nd round time was better than the first.

Main: well...here's the embarassing part, I qualified 10th...which normally would've put you last in the A unfortunately due to the tight track layout, they ran a 7 car A main, which put me in the B main I decided to stick to the 7.2 ratio because in he 2nd round I was also running a 1 1/2 year old Sanyo 3000 HV pack (which I think is dead now). Thinking that it might be the battery and not the gear ratio, I put in a new GP3300 pack with the same gear ratio to test it out. Again, I was slow around the track, so I definitely need to gear up back to where I was in round 1.

After the race, I let two guys drive my car, and I believe they will both be future Barracuda owners

I plan on going back to SoCal every Tuesday night to work on setups, so I can accumulate more setup information for you guys. and I promise, no more brain fading on the track and I will put this cuda in the A Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading guys

Steve Wang
Old 03-21-2003, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Nice race report, I should have my own on Monday
I know what you mean about messing up at the same corner after you do it once, it also works the other way too sometimes luckily, often find myself taking one corner particularly well and gaining time there every lap, it's normaly balanced out by constantly clliping the inside too much or running wide at another corner

Dave hope you're not too busy to not check your email, tell me if it's working. Probably your ne connection corrupting the file in the link
Old 03-21-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of report on my race day this past Tuesday at SoCal. I've been busy working on bringing in the second shipment of kits and parts.

After the race, I let two guys drive my car, and I believe they will both be future Barracuda owners

I plan on going back to SoCal every Tuesday night to work on setups, so I can accumulate more setup information for you guys. and I promise, no more brain fading on the track and I will put this cuda in the A Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading guys

Steve Wang
Yep that would be me...Steve I'll give you a ring this morning to check in on shipments (may not be able wait for Red )

have the R2 bug big time at the moment!

John
Old 03-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by ImGoinRCn
Thank you !!!
your welcome

-Dave
Old 03-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Hi Guys,

Okay, so here goes: I considered this my first official race with the car, since the first race was just one off (I jumped into a 19T main at a parking lot track without qualifying) and the second attempt which was at NORRCA state champ where I broke the car during practice (and I got no spares with me)

I got to the track with the same identical setup from state champ (which was Yokomo pink springs all around, and 45 weight oil all around) which worked well at the bigger, higher banking Bakersfield track, but after 1 run of practice, I realize the car was setup too stiff. Keep in mind guys, this is the first time I've been to SoCal in two years...so it's been a looooong time. so I went back to the pits to make some changes.

after practice, I switched to a softer setup all around (Yokomo Yellow springs) in hopes of making the car transition better through the infield. The car's stock long arm setup theortically is not made for the tight twisty SoCal track (on Tuesday, the track had no straight aways....all turns and short shoots). But even with the long arm, my "cuda" was able to hold some of the tightest line around the track. I think I can go even a step softer (going back to the kit included black springs) and I think that would be even better than the Yokomo yellow.

I decided to sign up for pro-stock (even with my two years of absent from the track) because I really want to see how this car work on its only 5th run against some of the well tuned cars out there that's been running at the track on a regular basis. SoCal houses some of the best racers around California...some of the guys that runs in pro-stock are Reedy, National and Regional A-main folks...so competition is real tight!

1st round of qualifying: I actually got off to a good start and was running in third right with the rest of the guys. I was actually very surprised to find myself in that position...but I was gauging myself with the cars in front and behind and I was right on pace. Then...it happened...I clip a dot, hopping the front end a bit...lost a position...coming around another lap, I clip the same dot (must be set in my memory or something), another lap around, this time I rolled the car...on the same dot (at this point I was just disgusted with myself) and up against these guys if you roll it, you are basically almost one lap down (a good lap is mid 12 seconds)

2nd round: I thought I had over geared in the first round (I was running a 6.9 final on my monster stock) while most guys are telling me they are running 7.2-7.5! (hard to believe those are almost modified motor ratios). None the less, I'm new, so I listen to the locals and got a 7.2 ratio on there...2nd round I was definitely not as fast as the 1st round, but I made no mistake,so the 2nd round time was better than the first.

Main: well...here's the embarassing part, I qualified 10th...which normally would've put you last in the A unfortunately due to the tight track layout, they ran a 7 car A main, which put me in the B main I decided to stick to the 7.2 ratio because in he 2nd round I was also running a 1 1/2 year old Sanyo 3000 HV pack (which I think is dead now). Thinking that it might be the battery and not the gear ratio, I put in a new GP3300 pack with the same gear ratio to test it out. Again, I was slow around the track, so I definitely need to gear up back to where I was in round 1.

Steve Wang
Congrats on the Race Steve

-Dave
Old 03-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Yikes! thats a big quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Herminator
Yikes! thats a big quote

Yea just a tad bit

-Dave
Old 03-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Tech Champion

Hi Guys,

The second batch of car kits have arrived however, this time we only got blue and purple color (and 1 pink one!) I also have our first large shipment of parts come in. We are working through them as fast as we can to get them into our system and get them online. Car kits will be ready to ship by Monday and parts should be online later on in the evening. Initially there will be no pictures of the parts, but we'll get them on there soon for you guys

We also received calls from R/C Car Action and they are requesting the car to be reviewed in up coming issue so keep an eye out for that.

Steve Wang
Old 03-22-2003, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Hi Guys,

The second batch of car kits have arrived however, this time we only got blue and purple color (and 1 pink one!) I also have our first large shipment of parts come in. We are working through them as fast as we can to get them into our system and get them online. Car kits will be ready to ship by Monday and parts should be online later on in the evening. Initially there will be no pictures of the parts, but we'll get them on there soon for you guys

We also received calls from R/C Car Action and they are requesting the car to be reviewed in up coming issue so keep an eye out for that.

Steve Wang
Outstanding News Steve ...You still have the color I want right .....
Also don't forget to put a plug in for me in R/C Car Action

-Dave
Old 03-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Just curious if the second batch of Barracudas you got in are sold out through pre-order or if you still have a few in stock after filling the pre-orders

Thanks
Matt
Old 03-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Hi Matt,

We are good right now. We have blue and purple to choose from right now. The website status has also been changed to "In Stock"

Thank you for your interest!

Steve Wang
Old 03-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

[B][We are good right now. We have blue and purple to choose from right now/B]
Only these 2 colors Steve.???

Pink and Red??
-Dave
Old 03-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Here are a few pictures of my R2 under construction. You can se in the pictures how I did my battery strap. The GP's fit fit nice. I would be finished but I'm waiting on Steve to list the aluminum center shaft holders in stock so I can finish it up.

Old 03-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Macky,
What is the part # for the post? Also, are those Alex or Lunsford Ti turnbuckles? How about those alu steering knuckles, Alex or square? Sweet ride.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

The aluminum post are not Alex parts. To tell you the truth I don't remember what car they came off of.

They are Lunsford turnbuckles.

The steering knuckles are from Square.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.