Wiki Posts
Search

The end is near...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default The end is near...

It's time to kill off touring for good. Go buy a 12th-scaler and stop feeding greedy companies by buying a new TC every .5 years...

Seriously though, with all the threads about declining interest...people quitting, etc. It does sound like TC is on the decline. Much like 1/10th Pancar in the late 80's early 90's.

Perhaps it's time for a similar change???
Old 11-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Default Nope

Why stop with touring car? We could get rid of on-road in general. Whatever it takes to run R/C into the ground.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

If your an RDX guy why complain about new cars, that kit is what, 3 years and running????

12th has the potential to become overpriced, too. As popularity rises in that class so will COTM.

BUT YES.....TC is too expensive, I do however, refuse to beleive that newer cars are needed to race at the club level. At my track we got guys that can pull out TC3's and lay it down. Also I stopped blaming Xray for being the problem, you can get an amazing car from them for $200, needs nothing to club race...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yeah, with new cars coming out every .5 years, RDX is coming out with a new car soon
Old 11-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
I do however, refuse to beleive that newer cars are needed to race at the club level. At my track we got guys that can pull out TC3's and lay it down. Also I stopped blaming Xray for being the problem, you can get an amazing car from them for $200, needs nothing to club race...
Thats very true. TC3's, T1 FK04's and 05's, XXXS', Pro 4's, Mission's, etc are all still capable if easily winning at any level.

In Europe lower priced cars sell very well. In the US the blinged out cars out sell the more modest versions by about 100-1. Its a very American phenomenon.

This is the same with speedos, batteries, etc. In the US the top of the line components outsell the lower cost stuff among the competition crowd.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zac Project
yeah, with new cars coming out every .5 years, RDX is coming out with a new car soon
In their defense, they're going through a lot of trouble to reuse most of the RDX parts, so it's not a huge departure from the current car from what we've seen. The biggest change appears to be convenience of easy diff access and rollcenter changes.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeremy Felles
Why stop with touring car? We could get rid of on-road in general. Whatever it takes to run R/C into the ground.
that's funny. You offroad guys are comedians!!! How you doing??? Long time no see. You running the 2-Day race at Socal this weekend?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Nobody's forcing you to buy a new car. As others mentioned, older cars are still very competitive; new cars are for:

A.) People that want the latest and greatest.
B.) For some companies, this is the very few things that they can make money off of.
C.) Fixes/Improve/Adds features.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AdrianM

This is the same with speedos, batteries, etc. In the US the top of the line components outsell the lower cost stuff among the competition crowd.
I'm more than happy with the re-furb'd keyence I got from Schumacher USA On a side note I ran the old Mi2 up untill recently and never had a problem sticking with the other guys in my class.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Thats very true. TC3's, T1 FK04's and 05's, XXXS', Pro 4's, Mission's, etc are all still capable if easily winning at any level.

In Europe lower priced cars sell very well. In the US the blinged out cars out sell the more modest versions by about 100-1. Its a very American phenomenon.

Capable of winning,but un-welcome.Around here it has been made quite clear that you better not show up with an outdated car.They have gotten it into their heads that if you don't have all new stuff then you are stealing from the hobby shop.And that's not just from the guys behind the counter-it's from the racers themselves.Suggest a budget class(to boost volume)and every hobby shop employee in town has a spasm.

Europeans race in the rain,and on polished wood floors-american racers won't give up their tire sauce.

The biggest threat to the sucess of on-road racing........is on-road racers.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, there is no need to buy the latest and greatest car of the month.
And i believe a lot of those 2-3 years old car can still keep up with the latest with the right setup and driver.
Unfortunately one problem with the old model car is it's hard to get parts and support. Sure you can still buy parts for a car as old as TA02 from ebay or some online shops but i believe most hobby shops (at least the smaller one) do not keep a lot of parts of older cars. I think most racers want to race a car which he can get parts easily so it forces (to some extend) a lot of people to buy a new car every year or so when a new model comes out.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DrOlds

Europeans race in the rain,and on polished wood floors-american racers won't give up their tire sauce.
Another thing about Europeans is that despite the bad teeth, they are more prone to recognize a good beer, like say a Guiness Stout or Spaten
Old 11-29-2006, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soviet
It's time to kill off touring for good. Go buy a 12th-scaler and stop feeding greedy companies by buying a new TC every .5 years...

Seriously though, with all the threads about declining interest...people quitting, etc. It does sound like TC is on the decline. Much like 1/10th Pancar in the late 80's early 90's.

Perhaps it's time for a similar change???
when was the last time you raced at a track????????????????????????????????
the end is near when people turn more laps on their keyboard then on the track
Old 11-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

TC is dying, which ever way you look at it, 1985 to 1999 or so, off road, 2000 to ? TC/on road........

Its all in cycles, you have to take the good with the bad... where its at now?

1/8 Gas and next big thing again electric off road......
Old 11-29-2006, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DrOlds
Capable of winning,but un-welcome.Around here it has been made quite clear that you better not show up with an outdated car.They have gotten it into their heads that if you don't have all new stuff then you are stealing from the hobby shop.And that's not just from the guys behind the counter-it's from the racers themselves.Suggest a budget class(to boost volume)and every hobby shop employee in town has a spasm.

The biggest threat to the sucess of on-road racing........is on-road racers.
Whoever thinks you are stealing from the hobby for having an old car needs thier head looking at.

You can gurantee those guys are minted and chummy with the model shop. I dont mind people who shell out thousands on RC becasue i would love to. I do mind however when they look down on the people who don't have all the kit. Most of the guys with all the kit are crap anyway. They do their driving sat in their chair talking bullshit to other racers about the latest lightweight diff or a new type of bearing that is "so much better than the old ones".

So yeah, whoever is like that needs a lesson in "how to not be a prick".

It annoys me so much when you get "elite" racers. Arghhh :@

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.