Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which would you buy: 414MII or TA04-R

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Which would you buy: 414MII or TA04-R

I've wrung about all I can out of my TL01. I really like the Tamiyas, and now I'm thinking about something a little racier. I run almost exclusively carpet with stock motors (P2* mostly) and rubber tires, standard ROAR weight rules. I've built a bunch of cars, but I'm not a great driver, nor do I have oodles of time for practice and tuning. Track layouts tend to the highly technical side. TC-3s are dominant, with a few XRAYs and Schumachers thrown in for excitement. I've got a very extensive collection of Tamiya TL01, TA02, and TA03 parts lying around. Cost is not as important as "throw it down on the track and cut good laps every week" is. The question is, which of the better Tamiyas should I consider, the TA04R or the 414MII? (I might consider an EVO 3, but I've never even seen one, so the argument is tougher)

Thanx in advance...
Old 02-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

I would definatley say the 414MII as it seems more race oriented than the TAO4, also look at the EvoIII, looks like it will be a very nice car

Josh
Old 02-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

If you want to run TCS in GT2 go for the TA04R, because the 414 isn't allowed. But if you want a better value and car go for a 414 or an EVO III. Just by buying the center and front one ways you'll increase the cost of the TA04R by $100 and in which case makes it a bad value cause for less than that much more you can get a 414 which as the lower carbon deck, both front and rear Carbon damper stays, the one ways, lightweight out drives, the list goes on. It's just way cheaper to buy a 414 than to hop up a TA04.

That's just my two cents.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

I just realized you're from Everett. You must be talking about Raincity Raceway. I just bought a XXX-S G+ and ran it there for the first time today. It works very well. I would seriously consider the cars that have parts and tuning support at the track. That's the major reason why I got the XXX-S and not an EVO III. I love Tamiya stuff myself, nothing really beats the fit an finish of a Tamiya product, but if your ultimate goal is fast lap times then get something that other people are already running fast lap times with.

I'm hoping to get out there this Wenesday night to race in novice or spec stock so maybe I'll see you there.
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

evolution 3
Tech Elite

well...
i feel tat the 414m2 is a better buy BUT the 04r would be more suitable for bashing.
the tamiya TRF drivers are now switching 2 the tb evo3,so it's worth considering also...
Old 02-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Tech Regular

Buy both, Ta04R for TCS and the m2 for non TCS Race.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

If it were me I would get the TRF414MII over the others. From what I have been reading on the Evo III Thread, there seems to be a few Issues in need of sorting out with that car...The 414MII is a good solid performer and in My opinion it is still the pick of the bunch...

Steevo
Old 02-10-2003, 02:43 AM
Tech Regular

I tend to agree with Steevo. The TA-04R is a solid performer, but unless hopped up to the status of the new TA-04 TRF, it lacks some of the adjustability offered by the 414m2.

I have a couple of Rs but nowadays I almost exclusively drive my 414.

I note on the Rainbowten website, the price of the TA-04 TRF is around 35,400 yen - which is similar in price (I believe) to the TB-EVO III. Buck for buck, the TA-04 TRF may be worth considering given that NIB 414m2 may now be more difficult to find in your local hobby store.

I've not had a chance to try the EVO III but I have also heard (like others) that there are some minor issues that still need to be resolved. On the other hand, the 414m2 is a solid performer.

With all 3 chassises sharing so many parts in common (in particular, the suspension parts - which are most prone to breakage or in need of replacement), replacement parts shouldn't be an issue. This depends of course on the local availability of Tamiya parts which varies from region to region.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is there a chassis available to run side x side packs for the 414? I don't mind converting everything, but if I don't have to...

Leon, I usually run Rain City Novice on Friday Nights. I know what everybody else runs, but parts aren't that hard to get for the Tamiyas (Debbie can order them or if I'm desparate, Burien has everything under the sun, even Galaxy is useful sometimes).

I ran TCS at Galaxy a few times, but got tired of having to be so restricted all the time and the TCS program really started to suffer compared to some of the other TCS locations I heard about. (The guy who runs the Wisconsin TCS - Trackside I think, really goes all out for instance). I've had an HPI and a Yoke and sold both of them to get more Tamiyas, no sense fighting bad habits.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jim as far as the EVO 414 debate I've run the EVO at Rain for about 2 mo now got it just after the Cyrul race and I prefer the EVO over the 414 they are both great cars I like the lower internal ratio on the EVO. Malknson is even considering getting and EVO to run along with his Losi.

SXS all you have to do is file the slots the chassis is ready to run SXS already.

You are in luck regarding TCS this year we will be hosting TCS down at Burien and the event will be a 2-day race if weather permits then we will have an Enduro on Sat evening with headlights and all. We have done it for the last 2 yrs during the Summer Sizzler and it's a blast.

Ray has 414's oln the shelf right now for $279 if I remember correctly, his first EVO he got in I don't think it stirred the shelf before it was gone he should have more in a week or so.

If you want to see an EVO let me know I can meet you at the Rain and let you take a few laps. It's been a great car and I think the diffs are getting sorted I've doen alot with shimming and experimentation with it Peter Robinson also just got his and is running it also

Dan Garber
Old 02-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Dan,

Thanx, do you run Saturdays at the Rain?

If I buy a new one, I would try very hard to get it from Debbie, but I would definitely be down to Burien for parts, you guys have an amazing inventory.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When I can I run Saturdays or Weds. It's tough to get up there from the Fed Way Tacoma area for me I hope to run up there on the 22nd I have other plans next weekend.

Kevin M has a used 414 he is looking to get rid of if you want to get in touch with him call down to Burien he can help you with the rest.

I appreciate your comment on buying from Debbie I have a real hard time from the Internet guys who race at the tracks and brag about how much they saved while the track can barely afford to keep the lights on I know Debbie and Pat are not in it for the money

D