Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are the ROAR New Approvals?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by robk
What do you want to see to make things safer?
Turn marshalls should not be placed in areas where they could be hit by a car, if this means that it will take longer for them to get to a crashed car, so be it.

When a turn marshall is called to right a car there should be some sort of yellow flag or at least an anouncement describing the location to caution drivers.

All turn marshalls should have to wear gloves to prevent burn injuries (which happen more then people admit)

Fuelers in Nitro races should wear goggles and gloves.

Li-Po's should be charged in a safe case as well as require all cells to be incased (as a pack not just a shrapnel producing can), now also NiMH should also be put up to the same standards as they are just as if not more dangerous.

Any club event should have atleast a 2' high safety fence surrounding it, however thinks a 9" board is going to keep a car within it's area is mistaken.

There are probably many other changes that are needed but if we want to make it appealing to the masses which seems to be one of biggest gripes then it needs to be something that at least appears like it is trying to create a safe environment.

The thing about safety is when you only regulate one aspect you advertise an intended bias whether concious or not.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
Turn marshalls should not be placed in areas where they could be hit by a car, if this means that it will take longer for them to get to a crashed car, so be it.

When a turn marshall is called to right a car there should be some sort of yellow flag or at least an anouncement describing the location to caution drivers.

All turn marshalls should have to wear gloves to prevent burn injuries (which happen more then people admit)

Fuelers in Nitro races should wear goggles and gloves.

Li-Po's should be charged in a safe case as well as require all cells to be incased (as a pack not just a shrapnel producing can), now also NiMH should also be put up to the same standards as they are just as if not more dangerous.

Any club event should have atleast a 2' high safety fence surrounding it, however thinks a 9" board is going to keep a car within it's area is mistaken.
I thought we were trying to bring people into the hobby... not drive them away
Old 11-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bvoltz

Personally - Stock has no place at a national event, 19T and Mod do have a place. Personally ROAR should focus on developing the classes and rules for the club level, not at the national level. You simply have items that are not allow at a national race, less classes, less options, after all, it is a national, not a club race. If you do not get people into the hobby at the club level you will have less racers at the nationals. So again, I say start solving the problem.

In closing, if the current way is not working well, then what is the harm in trying some new things? Continuing to do the same thing over and over is .... well that is the defination of "stupid".

I agree and have stated this before. Nationals should be invite-only and only after qualifying regionally. This would put the prestige back into the regionals, and make the Nats more prestigious and shorter. Nothing drives me more insane than watching people who can barely get around the track at a Nationals.

And I think I stated this earlier, and we're in 100% agreement, we need to stop making rules for the A-Main of the Nationals and look at where the problem lies in racing...club racing.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Some regions don't have regionals for certain classes because they are not popular in that area. How is a sedan racer in New Mexico supposed to quailfy for a National?

I can't make it to my On Road Regionals this weekend due to family commitments. Should I be excluded from the On Road Nats?

Lets say we follow the rules on the book and insist on regional quailfying. What if we end up with 60 guys quailfied to run a National. What kind of entry fee will the host have to charge to cover the costs of covered pits, tables, chairs, electricity and power distribution improvements, etc...?

Like Ottoman said we are not in this to chase people away. If they want to come to the big show and see how they stack up they should be welcome.

I agree with you that club racing is the most important type of racing over all and that we need to support that. However, there is only so much sanctioning bodies can do for the local racers. We can help organize events, provide rules and advice for how to run a race program but in the end its up to the Tracks, Shops, Clubs and Racers to organize races, show up early Sunday morning to put the pipes out on the parking lot.

We are working on a few projects to put more emphasis into club racing. Mike Queller is working on a national ranking system like you mentioned a few posts ago for Go Karting.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
Nationals should be invite-only and only after qualifying regionally. This would put the prestige back into the regionals, and make the Nats more prestigious and shorter. Nothing drives me more insane than watching people who can barely get around the track at a Nationals.
Come on man, if you’re a ROAR member and you don't make your regional you should still be entitled to attend the ROAR National, especially if you’re a member. I see your point in regards to a World Championship, but look at recent ROAR Nats attendance stats....

In regards to people "barely getting around the track", that is why you have lower mains. Also it’s about having fun, as well as racers from across the country to meet factory drivers, etc. Why would you want to turn the masses away???
Old 11-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Like many have said here... Make the nationals as invite only, to qualify you can either run the regional in your area, or have a series in the at region for those that can not make the one race, and above all, have a process that you can send your request to ROAR and based on your past performance, you can get in by an over ride by ROAR. But with all that said.... A national Camp should not be decided on one race, but by a series.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

ROAR is lucky to have a choice for a host for the Nationals now. The prospect of a 50 person National will ensure that no one bids.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Doug D
Come on man, if you’re a ROAR member and you don't make your regional you should still be entitled to attend the ROAR National, especially if you’re a member. I see your point in regards to a World Championship, but look at recent ROAR Nats attendance stats....

In regards to people "barely getting around the track", that is why you have lower mains. Also it’s about having fun, as well as racers from across the country to meet factory drivers, etc. Why would you want to turn the masses away???
Simple - because a National is National race, it is not a beginner race. That is what club, state and regional races are for. Sorry I just do not see it the same as you. A newbie just like everyone else that started, needs pay there dues, and learn. Not be in the way at a race that is to figure out who is the best of the best.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Honestly, for the average club racer who does not go to regionals, nationals and their club track isn't ROAR sanctioned there is no reason for them to join ROAR...

Only problem I see is if the rest of the world goes 4 cell (or 5) it's going to hurt the clubs.... We don't follow ROAR rules but our chassis's and bodies are dictated by what is legal to run....
Old 11-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Having 150 or fewer at a Nationals would be a great thing.

The race could be held over 3 days and be done. No more using up all your vacation days and speding extra time in hotels for the nearly week-long monster it's become.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by McSmooth
Having 150 or fewer at a Nationals would be a great thing.
Except for it would be worth it for the host track unless they doubled the entry fee.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Except for it would be worth it for the host track unless they doubled the entry fee.
Tracks get a "flat fee" for Nationals from ROAR
Old 11-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Why not run 15 or 20 cars per heat? Just a thought....

Of course track size would premit how many more then 10....
Old 11-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ottoman
I thought we were trying to bring people into the hobby... not drive them away
I think we currently have figure out how to drive people away...

The trick is to find people that are willing to try things, knowing that adjustments can and will be made when needed. Right now it seems alot like old school vs new school... a lot of bitching but not doing anything about it...
Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Simple - because a National is National race, it is not a beginner race. That is what club, state and regional races are for. Sorry I just do not see it the same as you. A newbie just like everyone else that started, needs pay there dues, and learn. Not be in the way at a race that is to figure out who is the best of the best.
No one said the nationals is a "beginner" race, the fast will be fast regardless.

I to would love to see shorter races, and one option I think would be to due away w/ "Open Practice" days, that starts on like Tuesday or Wednesdays and only have limited controlled "Practice Heats" that start on maybe a Thursday or Friday.

I like the idea of a National Ranking System, accumulating points for various ROAR Sanctioned races in your region. That could be used for seeding drivers for qualifying heats at a National event. But I don't think you should turn any driver away because they didn't qualify at their Regional Champs race. I can understand having a cut-off for races, and that is for everyone, beginner or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.